You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building my first PC
07-05-2014, 09:26 PM,
Question  Building my first PC
Hi folks,

I'm itching to get a new pc and I might want to try my hand at building one. I'm new to this stuff, but I've been doing my research. I'm heading toward the idea of build an AMD powered PC (CPU : FX-8350, GPU : Either r9-270 or r9-290 or G-Force GTX 760 SC). I've read that Intel is better at gaming, but it's also more expensive and my budget is around 850$. Is the 8350 a good choice? Or should I go with a 6300 or an Intel i5? I'm looking forward to run games like Titanfall on a 1080p HDTV, at high or ultra resolution and at a stable 60 fps. Also, I would like to be able to run the Witcher 3 at a decent resolution with a good frame rate (something better the next gen console).

Thank you!
07-06-2014, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM by Katotonic.)
RE: Building my first PC
So I just built my first PC, so I am no expert, but here is what I understand (anyone with more knowledge please chime in and tell me if I am completely wrong).

Generally, Intel is better at multi-tasking from what I understand. But if the purpose of the rig is more towards gaming, the video card is much more important than the CPU (and it doesn't matter as much which way you go AMD or Intel). For the video card, some games play better on nvidia, others on Radeon. So do some research on what brand works best on the games you want to play and then which company's version of said branded card has the best options for you regarding cooling, overclocking ability, frames per second on a specific game, power usage, etc.

Also check out Mathieu B's build recommendations for the price point you are talking about (http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...arch-2014/). Generally, I think Nvidia is better price to value over Radeon at the moment but sometimes, price point or game performance, Radeon appears to be the way to go (personally am a Nvidia person and went with the recommended PNY GTX 770 4gb from the build recommendations, so far I love it).

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and let us know if you have any questions!
07-07-2014, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM by Rapajez.)
Does your budget include the monitor, keyboard, mouse, windows, etc? If so, you may have to settle for a Tier 2 in the Budget article. That will let you max out most current games at 1080p, but probably have to scale back some details in more demanding and future titles. If you don't need those in the budget, aim for the Tier 3 in the Mainstream article. Since those articles were written, video card prices have changed pretty drastically, and a new series of Intel CPU's has dropped, so post your ideal list here before pulling the trigger.

Anyway, CPU choice depends on a few factors. The AMD 8350 has 8-cores, but most current games benefit from the faster individual cores in the quad-core i5-4570. In general, Intel is the way to go if you're spending $150+, and AMD owns the lower end. The i5-4570 wins in vs the 8350 almost all current gen games, while the 8350 can come out ahead in SOME multi-core situations, like BF4 with 64-players. The latest Intel, Z97-based motherboards will also support the next 2 generation of Intel chips, which leaves you more room for upgrades.

As for video cards, you probably want a AMD R9 270X/NVIDIA 760 at the low-end, or a AMD R9 290/NVIDIA GTX 780 at the high-end. It depends on your final budget. The lower cards will max out current games, with a few details turned down, and the higher end will let you crank everything up and leave you future proof for a while. There's of course plenty of options in-between, but that should give you a good range to work off of. Google "anandtech GPU Bench 2014" for comparisons of any 2 cards. Also, factor in that some AMD/NVIDIA cards are currently selling with 2 or 3 free games....
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM,
My .02 on top of what Rapajez said is if you can afford it, I would go with at least a GTX 770 or the AMD equivalent.

I bought a GTX 760 for my Son. A few months later, a GTX 770 went on a sale and I could not pass it up. I took the 760 and upgraded his system with the 770. The 770 is noticeably better on games like AC4 or Skyrim on higher settings. Even the 770 cannot max out the settings on AC4, but it runs higher settings much smoother. For example, during battles on stormy seas with rain - The 760 struggles where the 770 does not have any problems. the 770 prices have gone below $300 once or twice so it is something to just watch and pounce on if you go this direction or you may pay $30 to $50 more.

Good luck!
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
07-08-2014, 04:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM by PwnBroker.)
to run ultra at 60fps and 4xMSAA you will need an r9-280x/gtx 770 or you can go with rapajez recommendation to run at high settings R9-270x/760. keep in mind that at ultra settings this game uses a lot of vram so the cards with 3gb work best. also unless nvidia fixed their drivers it appears that amd cards run a better on this game.

as for the cpu, this game was designed on the Source engine with only utilizes 4 cores/threads at the moment but the devs designed Titanfall to run on 2 cores or more. the 8350 runs games as good as intel on the newest multi-threaded game engines. its the single threaded games from independent devs that intel has the advantage, mainly RTS games but some MMO's as well. other than the 8350, for $20 more you can run the non K series i5 on an h87 board that will be more futureproof with pcie 3.0. for maybe a little less money you can go with the haswell i3-4130/ with the z97 mb and it would be upgradeable to a next gen i5 for a couple years to come. they say that a core 2 duo will run Titanfall so you might be able to get away with the new Pentium chip, G3258, on a z97 board and still be upgradeable to a k series for the next gen of chips.

keep in mind that Titanfall requires 50gb of disk space as well.(they run the audio files off of disk in order to keep cpu usage low enough to run on dual core processors.)