You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a new MB.
07-14-2014, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2014, 05:13 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Finding a new MB.
(07-12-2014, 01:37 PM)Jilow Wrote: I'm having trouble finding the Asrock 770 if you see one please link it. So if I get the ASRock 970 extreme4 and I have windows 8 (not 8.1 yet) how will my install look? I take the old one, put in the new one, boot up, will it just work after I install some drivers and uninstall my old ones?

like i said the 770 board will be hard to find since its discontinued. with win8 it might work with a different manufacturers board. ive heard that folks with amd has successfully installed intel boards and cpu's without a hitch using the below procedure. or you can always go with the asrock 970.

if you have a system builders oem version of windows 8 then you get up to 5 transfers or so. the caviat is that it is supposed to be deleted from the machine prior to installation onto the new machine. BUT, there is a way around that. i have not tried this without using SYSPREP but all of the tech pages from MS and from the support forums say it will work.

all that you do is shut down your pc and replace the motherboard. power back up and let it do its thing. if it BSOD's then turn it back off and place the win8 disk into the cd, turn it back on and select "repair". from this point it is supposed install generic drivers and boot up. when it goes into windows, take the driver cd that came with your new board and install the new drivers. if it prompts you to enter the liscense key, you can try to enter the one off of the install disk. if it tells you that it is in use then you will need to call the 1-800 to auto reset your key. you input your key and it will give you a new one.(have a pencil and paper ready). like i said i have not tried this and with win7 it will not work without using SYSPREP. so if you go this route, let us know if it works. if you have an extra drive that you can make an image before you try this then you might want to do that first.

if you have an upgrade version of win8, then you will more than likely have to re-install the windows version that you upgraded from and then install the win8 upgrade.
07-15-2014, 01:31 AM,
I just realized I do have Windows 7 on the desktop argh... I do have a friend who said he's familiar with Sysprep, but he seems to think that since my desktop is custom built that I shouldn't have licencing issues, and that really only applies to pre-mades, like replacing a laptop or premade desktop from a store. They have special software on them that says hey i work with this copy of windows blah blah blah. I'll have to look for a youtube vid of someone doing the software part of replacing the mb... he suggest I buy this mb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product.. I may buy the ASRock 970 though, thoughts?
07-15-2014, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM by PwnBroker.)
if you have either the Home Premium or Pro "RETAIL" versions of windows 7(which sold for about 200 bucks) then yes your friend would be correct.

BUT, if you installed the Home Premium or Pro OEM system builders pack then your friend would be incorrect. i will try to explain it, end users were not even supposed to have access to OEM versions of windows 7, they were reserved for system builders that intended to sell those pc's to third party customers, like myself, who owned a shop. so in essence, it is the same liscense that say, HP or DELL would include on one of their pc's. Microsoft finally realized that they were a whole lot of do it yourselfers that built their own pc's. that is why they changed the EULA for windows 8 that allowed those customers to own an OEM personal use liscense, but it was not retroactive for windows 7.

here is the excerpt from the EULA FAQ:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

the gigabyte board is a good board but the above reason is why i would suggest sticking with the same manufacturer board that you first installed in on. and sometimes, when you use the same manufacturer you dont even have to call to get a new liscense key because it will take the original one. BUT, if you do have to call to get a reactivation, then they may tell you that you will need to buy a whole new liscnese since you used a different manufacturers motherboard instead of the direct replacement of a discontinued board.

good luck.

btw, sysprep is fairly easy to do unless you run an image after using imagex(even then its fairly simple if you know how to run commands form the sys32 command line). all you do is run sysprep from sys32 folder, select OOBE, check the generalize box and the shutdown option. after it does what it does it will shut down your machine and then you unplug it and change out the board and boot back up. remember that it will delete any user data in your user tree so be sure to back that up but all programs that were loaded should remain intact, and you will have to rebuild your user id.(some single user software that you have, you may have to re-enter the liscense key for those as well when you go to run them).

this is the same process that i have to use when i sell a machine to a customer and it is also used to make an image that can be used across different platforms in an enterprise situation without having to make an image for every machine in that enterprise.
07-15-2014, 03:55 PM,
I see, I think I got my copy of Windows 7 from when I was in college (they sold it fairly cheap to students), I'm not sure what kind of copy they would have given me. It was ultimate edition i'm pretty sure, but don't know how it would have been set up. Sadly I can't boot on that computer atm.. I'd have to plug in the hard-drive to another computer to back it up. All i really care about it is my word documents, software, pictures etc...

I'll see if i can get a ASRock970 Extreme4 at a good price, if it'll save me trouble (because I don't think i even have the original Key anymore for that copy of Windows 7.)
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM,
if it the college discount copy then it is probably the "retail" version of windows 7 pro and your friend is probably correct, and you could use another manuf. board. if you cant find the liscense key then if you registered it MS should be able to renew it. if you could boot into your hard drive then you can find the key under "system" or the registry.

good luck
07-30-2014, 04:15 PM,
What's the difference between this Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128651 one is Gigabyte 970 UD3P for 74$

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128627 the other is Gigabyte 970 D3P for 70$

thought or recommendation for a MB in that price range? Buying one sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks
07-30-2014, 05:06 PM,
Was trying to figure it out...apparently someone on NewEgg had the same question:

The main difference for me is the UD3P has 8+2 power phase and the D3P I believe is only 4+2 power phase. The more power phase (in addition to better mosfet) allows better power delivery to the CPU, and you can also achieve higher OC if that is what you want to do. My CPU is an FX6300 with mild OC but I am more in it for stability. I plan to run a single card (ASUS OC R9 290) so I don't need crossfire, and the UD3P is probably the best 970 MB. Mar 25,2014
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-31-2014, 08:27 AM,
(07-30-2014, 05:06 PM)Rapajez Wrote: Was trying to figure it out...apparently someone on NewEgg had the same question:

The main difference for me is the UD3P has 8+2 power phase and the D3P I believe is only 4+2 power phase. The more power phase (in addition to better mosfet) allows better power delivery to the CPU, and you can also achieve higher OC if that is what you want to do. My CPU is an FX6300 with mild OC but I am more in it for stability. I plan to run a single card (ASUS OC R9 290) so I don't need crossfire, and the UD3P is probably the best 970 MB. Mar 25,2014

yes the biggest difference is the power delivery of the UD3P, in short, its a lot better overclocker.
08-03-2014, 11:41 PM,
Quote:My CPU is an FX6300 with mild OC but I am more in it for stability. I plan to run a single card (ASUS OCR9 290) so I don't need crossfire, and the UD3P is probably the best 970 MB. Mar 25,2014

Sweet that's the one I got; I'll be putting it all together this week, I'll let you know how it goes.