You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a new MB.
07-04-2014, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM by Jilow.)
Finding a new MB.
So I have good, semi-good and bad news... First the good news, I got my new MSI 750 ti, it works great, the semi-good news is my old graphics card the Asus GTX 460 also works great, the bad news the gpu wasn't the problem it was the PCI-e slot in my motherboard. Now i'm looking for a budget but durable motherboard that's compatible. My old motherboard was this guy:

http://www.asrock.com/download/e-catalog...treme3.pdf

I need a motherboard that has the same slots as those ones so the rest of my stuff is compatible. I'll be looking as well on my own, but I trust your guys' judgement so the feedback is much appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info! If there's any tips in the taking apart process be glad to hear them as well.

Thanks,

Jilow

If you needed any additional info here is a complete list of parts: CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 | Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX | Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 | Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 | Case: Rosewill DESTROYER ATX Mid Tower | Power: Antec TruePower 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Cert | Storage: SAMSUNG 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HD | Optical drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model
07-04-2014, 06:12 PM,
RE: Finding a new MB.
Why not get the same motherboard? That way you just swap the motherboard, no need to format or re-install anything.

It's too bad that the old one was defective, but that's just how it is, sometimes you get unlucky and get a defective part, it can happen with any brand.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
07-05-2014, 10:21 AM,
I couldn't find any Asrock's on Newegg, and the one on Amazon was 270 dollars... If you know of a website where it's going for a bit cheaper that'd work. What's the next best in case I couldn't find one? I'll link whatever I end up buying before I buy it.

Thanks.
07-05-2014, 05:04 PM,
Woudl this be a good Motherboard? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product (it's a Biostar)

Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product (MSI)

I think AM3+ is compatible with my AM3 socket CPU. Any advice on a compatible motherboard would be appreciated.
07-06-2014, 01:47 PM,
I think i'm going to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product (biostar)

what do you guys think.

Has 2 gpu slots if i checked it right, has solid capacitors, and has a good consumer rating.. what are your guys's thoughts is it compatible with my rig, are there better choices out there for me?

----
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 | Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX | Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 | Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 | Case: Rosewill DESTROYER ATX Mid Tower | Power: Antec TruePower 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Cert | Storage: SAMSUNG 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HD | Optical drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model
07-07-2014, 03:56 PM,
Looks compatible to me. FYI, it does support 2 video cards, but not 2 NVIDIA cards together in SLI. Unless a board specifies "SLI Compatible", it's probably not. You'd probably want to upgrade a lot of other stuff before you went with a dual-GPU setup anyway.

I would also recommend trying to find the same ASRock. It looks like there are a few on eBay, obviously some risk there.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-10-2014, 11:17 PM,
How much hassle will it save me to get the same motherboard? What all do I need to reinstall with a new one? Secondly, how important is having solid caps? i'm planning on buying a mother board in the 70-100 dollar range. I'll check e-bay to see the model I have. Thanks for the feedback!

-Jilow
07-11-2014, 05:12 PM,
if you get the same motherboard, no hassle, just swap out the board and boot up. shouldnt be any driver or reg issues. if you get a different manufacturer board you might run into EULA liscense issues and may very well have to buy another liscense unless you have win8.

since that board was manufacturer discontinued you can get an asrock 970 extreme board and it would qualify for a windows liscense reset, good for 1 time, since it is a replacement model. either way you go your going to have to do a fresh install after the replacement, or if you know what you are doing you can do a SYSPREP/generalize to wipe the drivers, user id/user files(better backup), but it will allow you to keep any software that you have loaded onto the hard drive. after you do that then all you have to do is install your drivers, the create your user profile and load your user data from backup.

good luck
07-11-2014, 08:10 PM,
(07-11-2014, 05:12 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: if you get the same motherboard, no hassle, just swap out the board and boot up. shouldnt be any driver or reg issues. if you get a different manufacturer board you might run into EULA liscense issues and may very well have to buy another liscense unless you have win8.

since that board was manufacturer discontinued you can get an asrock 970 extreme board and it would qualify for a windows liscense reset, good for 1 time, since it is a replacement model. either way you go your going to have to do a fresh install after the replacement, or if you know what you are doing you can do a SYSPREP/generalize to wipe the drivers, user id/user files(better backup), but it will allow you to keep any software that you have loaded onto the hard drive. after you do that then all you have to do is install your drivers, the create your user profile and load your user data from backup.

good luck

I do have windows 8 so how hard would it be if i get a different manufacturer to switch? I really don't want to re-install all my software. You said if i didn't have windows 8 i'd have to do a lot of stuff, but if i had windows 8 it wouldn't be so bad. I don't think I have windows 8.1 my comptuer was out of commission before that.
07-12-2014, 01:37 PM,
I'm having trouble finding the Asrock 770 if you see one please link it. So if I get the ASRock 970 extreme4 and I have windows 8 (not 8.1 yet) how will my install look? I take the old one, put in the new one, boot up, will it just work after I install some drivers and uninstall my old ones?