You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partitioning a SSD
06-25-2014, 07:32 AM,
Partitioning a SSD
I am building my first PC. It will have a 512GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. As I understand, it is prudent to partition the SSD into on logical drive that hosts the OS and another that hosts the applications. This way if the OS becomes corrupted I can wipe out the OS partition and reinstall the OS without losing all the applications. I am going to be using Windows 8.1 professional. My question is how big a partition to I need to make for the OS.
06-25-2014, 09:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM by Rapajez.)
RE: Partitioning a SSD
I think the consensus is 40GB minimum. With your space, I'd bump it to 60GB to be safe. This is assuming you install ALL of your applications to the other partition. Watch out for Windows Update and Temp files piling up. CCleaner is a good tool to stay on top of those.

Honestly, it may be less of a headache to skip the separate partitions, and just perform regular system backups. That way you can recover Windows + Apps from the backup, without juggling the 3 volumes around. In some cases, re-installing Windows on it's own partition may still require you to re-install some of your applications, even after you specify they go on their own partition. They have different hooks into Windows directories.

Every PC user should perform regular backups anyway.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
06-25-2014, 10:32 AM,
Thanks for the reply.

I was unaware of the system image backup option. Sounds like just what I want. Not something you do everyday but something that you can use to restore the system without having to reinstall the OS and all applications. If my OS and applications reside on the SSD then only that would require a system image since data on the HDD could be backup conventionally to the cloud. Do you have a particular brand of external drives in the 1 to 2 TB size you would recommend. Using USB 3.0 it shouldn't take too long to make a 512 MB system image.
06-25-2014, 03:32 PM,
i would agree with rapajez. with an ssd it doesnt matter how many paritions you have all of the pages are spread across all of the nands by the drives firmware. this keeps equal wear on the cells. so even if a cell craps out, you may have some application data on there as well. adding another partition to the 2 or 3 that your going to have on there anyway(depending on how you setup your drive) will just add to the confusion. its a lot better to have a small 60 gig ssd for the system and a larger ssd for the apps or use the win8 system image tool like rap said to do backups. just make sure you make a recovery disk or usb drive in case you have to boot off of it to reinstall your image. then for all of your personal data pics, music, etc you can do that seperately.

as far as hard drives wd and seagate make a couple of standalone from 1 gig on up and there is nothing that says you cant use another internal drive(that may be a little cheaper) as a backup drive. my machine has a hot swap sata dock that i use as a backup.

good luck
06-25-2014, 03:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM by Rapajez.)
I like the Seagate Backup Plus series. Their more mobile oriented, but they require no external power, USB3, cheap and thin, and the USB3 faceplate pops off and reveals a regular SATA data and power connection. Very useful for moving around. Here's a few:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...isNodeId=1

You can be lazy and just backup the SSD to your HDD, but that doesn't protect you much if something happens to the whole PC. Doesn't protect the data on your HDD either. Smile
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
06-26-2014, 09:05 PM,
If you do go with the seagate backup plus, is it possible to back-up more than one computer to a single drive?
06-27-2014, 11:29 AM,
(06-26-2014, 09:05 PM)Katotonic Wrote: If you do go with the seagate backup plus, is it possible to back-up more than one computer to a single drive?

as long as it is a system image and not a clone you can. a system image is saved as a file and is usually compressed and the file is labeled as the computer name and most image software can do that.

here is a link to seagate and thier backup software included with the drives and this capability:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en...Q/209011en