You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tier 5ish compontent check + how do I trim the budget a bit
07-01-2014, 02:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Tier 5ish compontent check + how do I trim the budget a bit
(07-01-2014, 01:33 PM)Katotonic Wrote: Update: 7/1/14

I went to micro center on Saturday to pick up the i 5-4670k and the speakers and headset since they were the cheapest according to pcpartpicker. They had a good sales person and price matching so I ended up picking up the whole build with a few changes due to sales/combo/didn't carry newegg brands in store.

The build:
Cpu: i5-4670k, $189.99
Mobo: Msi z97-g45 gaming, $109.99
Gpu: PNY Nvidia GTX 770 4G (OC2 model). $389.99 + $30 MIR so $359.99
Hdd: Seagate barracuda 1lb 7200rpm. $49.99
Sdd: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb. $79.99
Case: Fractal design Define R4. $89.99
Ram: 8gb (2×4) Balistix sport 1600mhz Cas 9. $69.99
Cooler: Corsair h100i. $89.99
PSU: Corsair HX650W 80+ Gold (refurbished). $69.99
Optical drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
Speakers: Logitech z313. $39.99
Headset: TekNmotion TM-YB100A Headset. $14.99

Total pre-tax (including 2 extra sata cables): $1327

Pics of the build will be posted in a bit. Everything is put together and seems to be working though!

Some questions:
1) the MSI Mobo comes with OC Genie 4 for easy OC'ing the whole system. Is this safe/a good way to do this? Do I still need to run stability tests if I use the built in OC option?

2) How do I know if the h100i is working? Not that I doubt it is, I just do not want to OC without knowing it is first. (The fans run, but you obviously can't see the pump working.)

3) What are safe OC Temps, voltages, etc for everything? (As in if I see that it is close to those values I should back off)

Thanks for all the help with this whole process guys! My first build was a breeze because of you, this site, and the "How to build your own computer" series on newegg.

1.) for a basic overclock, it may be fine but it lacks fine tuning. id rather manually overclock. if you use it look at your voltages after and make sure they are not too high. some of those apps tend to be a little hot and some tend to be too conservative.
2.) if you loaded the drivers and the LINK software then you can bring up the gui and see your fan and pump speed. if its not working the cpu will shut down anyways.
3.) on haswell, there is no one definitive catch all setting. those chips had several binnings and about 70% were on the low side and most all of them will run hot as you approach a descent overclock.(rumor has it that kept the best binned chips for the next refresh cycle.) with air or all in one water loop you will be maxed out at about 1.25v and temps will be in the 80's and 90's. ive seen 4.5 gig overclocks range from 1.1v to 1.25v so it all depends on the chip you have. there are plenty of overclocking guides on the net to read up on.

good luck
07-01-2014, 08:53 PM,
(07-01-2014, 02:16 PM)PwnBroker Wrote:
(07-01-2014, 01:33 PM)Katotonic Wrote: Update: 7/1/14

Some questions:
1) the MSI Mobo comes with OC Genie 4 for easy OC'ing the whole system. Is this safe/a good way to do this? Do I still need to run stability tests if I use the built in OC option?

2) How do I know if the h100i is working? Not that I doubt it is, I just do not want to OC without knowing it is first. (The fans run, but you obviously can't see the pump working.)

3) What are safe OC Temps, voltages, etc for everything? (As in if I see that it is close to those values I should back off)

Thanks for all the help with this whole process guys! My first build was a breeze because of you, this site, and the "How to build your own computer" series on newegg.

1.) for a basic overclock, it may be fine but it lacks fine tuning. id rather manually overclock. if you use it look at your voltages after and make sure they are not too high. some of those apps tend to be a little hot and some tend to be too conservative.
2.) if you loaded the drivers and the LINK software then you can bring up the gui and see your fan and pump speed. if its not working the cpu will shut down anyways.
3.) on haswell, there is no one definitive catch all setting. those chips had several binnings and about 70% were on the low side and most all of them will run hot as you approach a descent overclock.(rumor has it that kept the best binned chips for the next refresh cycle.) with air or all in one water loop you will be maxed out at about 1.25v and temps will be in the 80's and 90's. ive seen 4.5 gig overclocks range from 1.1v to 1.25v so it all depends on the chip you have. there are plenty of overclocking guides on the net to read up on.

good luck

1)So would I still need to run a stability test if I use the built in Genie? If so, what test and how do I find it?

2) I downloaded the Link software, but I can't find the drivers anywhere. When I look at the link software, it does not mention a h100i anywhere, just my CPU, GPU, HDD, and SDD.... (CPU temp reads at about 35 degrees Celsius when idle)
07-02-2014, 12:20 AM,
1.)the overclock genie runs a stability test in the alogrithm but yes i would run another program like aida64 or prime95.
2.)you have to use the supplied usb cable in order to use the Link software. if you have installed the usb cable then go into device manager and look at your usb ports and see if the OS recognizes the cooler. if you are using windows 8.1 there were some compatiblity issues with Link so they may not have fixed that yet. there are no drivers, its all included in the Link installer.(sorry for the confusion)

if it turns out that corsair has not fixed the compatibility issue yet, then you will have to use one of the non cpu fan headers on the board.

good luck
07-06-2014, 09:45 AM,
(07-02-2014, 12:20 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: 1.)the overclock genie runs a stability test in the alogrithm but yes i would run another program like aida64 or prime95.
2.)you have to use the supplied usb cable in order to use the Link software. if you have installed the usb cable then go into device manager and look at your usb ports and see if the OS recognizes the cooler. if you are using windows 8.1 there were some compatiblity issues with Link so they may not have fixed that yet. there are no drivers, its all included in the Link installer.(sorry for the confusion)

if it turns out that corsair has not fixed the compatibility issue yet, then you will have to use one of the non cpu fan headers on the board.

good luck

1) Ok. So I started playing around with the OC options. I used the Genie and it auto-jumped the system to 4.0 Ghz. I ran prime95 for 30 min afterwards and it seems like there were no problems. I am going to fiddle with it more and see if I can bump it up manually from there, but I haven't done so yet.

2) I had used the usb cable that came with it. The system wasn't recognizing the cooler at all. It was just listed under Human Interface Devices as USB Input Device in the Device Manager. I looked up the issue online and found a fix that seems to have worked. I had to go into the Registry and change 4 different values from 1 to 0. (this was the thread that solved it: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2...h100i.html) I still can't find it on the device manager but Corsair Link finds it and can change values with it anyways.
07-07-2014, 03:06 PM,
1) It depends on how crazy you want to get. Some people recommend 8-24 hours of Prime 95 testing before cranking up the multiplier. If the OC genie values are getting the job done, you can stick with them.

I like to run "Real Temp - CPU"'s built-in burn-in test that links to Prime-95. It will warm up the chip, and test the temperatures at different loads. It may differ for Haswell, but as long as none of them exceed 80-85 Celsius, you should be good to go. I'd look up a Haswell-specific guide though, as the temps and optimal motherboard settings vary from chip-to-chip.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround