You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My GPU just died, need some advice
06-21-2014, 01:10 AM,
My GPU just died, need some advice
Kind of a long story, please bear with me

I bought a PNY GTX 570 around 2 and a half years ago, I read that I didnĀ“t really need cooling so I never bought any, I just had 1 small fan that came with the casing, even then I kept the casing open most of the time out of fear of this happening.

About 1 or 2 months ago, I changed the GPU with a ECS GTX 580 of a friend that is just as old as my GPU, and now it died, it was taken to a LAN party and after that it started having issues, shutting down randomly after displaying a blue screen while I played the new Wolfenstein game, I connected it using a different output of the GPU and it stopped for about a week but then, while watching videos on youtube, I got another blue screen, except this time the computer now just reboots before loading the desktop while showing garbled graphics, I tried it on another computer and it did the exact same thing

I was told that it overheated and that I can pay for it to be taken trough a process called "reballing" so that it may work again

So I have a couple of questions, can this process work? and if it does, what kind of cooling can I use for my computer or GPU so that this does not happen again to this or any other GPU I might buy in the future? is that even necessary? or did the GPU just run its course?
06-23-2014, 12:34 PM,
RE: My GPU just died, need some advice
I'm not familiar with that term, how much does it cost? Who does the "reballing" process?

You can download "MSI Afterburner" to monitor your GPU temperatures. The safe temp depends on the GPU. Just Google for "Safe Temp GTX 570".

Of course, if your old GPU never overheated, it's probably not your case. If it is, the best advice is usually to get some compressed air and blast the dust out of the interior, the fans, and the connections.

As for fans: If the temps are still high, and the fans aren't cutting it, and your case allows for it, add an intake fan to the side panel. Otherwise, you can make sure you have at least a few intake fans in the front, and one exhaust in the back. You can also mount an internal fan on the hard drive cages toblow over the GPU.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
06-23-2014, 04:18 PM,
RE: My GPU just died, need some advice
if the chip itself is burnt out, then a reball or a reflow wont do you anygood. ive made a small fortune on xbox 360's and a few laptops using both processes, and even if it does work there is no guarantee.( it might be good for a month or it might last a few years.)

either way it takes about an hour and a half(with proper equipment) and i wouldnt pay over 60 bucks for either process.(standard bench charge). anymore than that and you can put it towards a new gpu.

good luck