You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gateway GT4016 Help!!
06-15-2014, 11:22 AM,
Gateway GT4016 Help!!
A friend wanted me to look at her Desktop because she was saying a drive wasn't working correctly. To no avail, I cleaned the tower (massively filled with cat/dog hair and dust), scoured through her comp to see as to why it wouldn't recognize a drive, couldn't find anything. Now the computer is saying it can't find any of the drives (after opening it up and making sure all the ports and drives were connected correctly). How do I go about making it recognize the drives? She has a 120GB (which came with the desktop) and a 340GB (which she bought). She has both Windows XP installed on the smaller and Windows 7 (64-bit) on the larger drive. I've tried to re-install Windows 7 (and when I did it found both drives) and again both just disappeared after the computer restarted to "finish" installing) Anything I can do to get them both recognized again? Any advice, tips and tricks are welcome!!!

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
06-17-2014, 03:20 PM,
RE: Gateway GT4016 Help!!
Yikes. It seems unlikely that both drives just died simultaneously. Can you blast the ports on the mobo and the hard drives with some compressed air?

Have you tried using different SATA ports on the motherboard?

When you say the computer doesn't see the drives, do you mean they're missing from the BIOS, and during the boot sequence? That would indicate a hardware or connection failure. If they're just missing from Windows, it could be driver or software related.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround