You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying New Case and New PSU
06-06-2014, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 05:59 AM by JCD-Bionicman.)
Buying New Case and New PSU
Hey guys

I'm fairly certain my 450 PSU just isn't cutting it for games. If you remember my troubleshooting threads with the ntstrokl (or whatever it was) error code, with frequent crashing and freezing during games, that's me.

These are my computer specs exactly, pineapple put this together for me when I was on a very tight budget, in a day when my dad had promised me choice in a computer and wasn't being very reasonable:

"PSU $35: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...c%20VP-450

Optical Drive $18: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6827118067

HDD $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136769

CPU $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0Dual-Core

Motherboard $65: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...67296&SID=

Ram 8GB $34: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...67296&SID=

Choose a GTX 650, I'd go for a superclocked version ($120-150): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...50&x=0&y=0
"
I chose a superclocked one

You can ignore that, I just thought I'd post it since unlike previously, this contains exactly the PSU that I have. I had always assumed I had a 500w PSU. 450 may cut it, I haven't ran the numbers, but 450 is probably low enough that I get brown outs every now and then, which is exactly what the freezes lockups and random reboots look like (random reboots as in, playing a game, only for the computer to reboot insantly without an error message showing up).

This isn't a troubleshooting thread though. On that note, I didn't manage to figure out how to burn that ram program to my CD. If you have advice on that go check out that thread in troubleshooting, or perhaps I'll give you a link.

I'm looking for a new case and PSU.

There aren't any recommended PSUs in the "best parts for your money" category, and the cases category doesn't seem to go into enough specifics.

There are a few convenience attributes I am looking for based on a few problems I encounter with my computer.

My cpu fan becomes entangled with some of the smaller power cords. It's usually fine but when I do have to open my computer up and fix it (I have been too lazy to find a permanent solution, such as perhaps taping or tieing things together) what's annoying is how crowded and un neat the giant fat jumble of cables is. I usually end up just pushing the cable to the side a bit, it doesn't actually move very much, just enough to crease the offending cords out of the way. Also, a locking mechanism would be preferable to the screws that I have to unscrew to get to the inside of my build.

I do want to go larger than mid size, and perhaps I'd even want a smaller case. This does make things very crowded, but perhaps some cases are "smart" enough to make it bearable. I'm open to discussion on any of my preferences, but I'd like to stick with small.

I want my desktop experience in general to be very mobile and easy to set up in general. I don't move it very often, but when I do move it I'd like the experience to not be so unpleasant. This doesn't just extend to the case of the computer, but to the monitor and peripherals. People are free to suggest other stuff in this category even if they might not be cases or PSUs. Currently I'm using an HP monitor (not very specific, it is 1680x1050 though) a basic low latency logic wireless mouse and the cheaper of the non mechanical razer keyboards.

Convenience in general is something I'm very open to. The convenience options that come to mind are:

Topside USB hubs. Because I already bent a usb hub quite badly actually bumping it. The ones in the rear are not convenient for temporary placement (or perhaps just for lazy placement) while the front ones are just outright risky.

Inside light up. Plenty of cases seem to have LED fans and such. How about completely lighting it up though?

The previously mentioned "quick open" sidepanel(s).

I might be willing to pay a lot of money for this. I'd say my limit is 150 dollars, but feel free to post past that amount. Lower is always better though, and I'd be happy to find the best bang for buck.
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
06-06-2014, 03:09 PM,
RE: Buying New Case and New PSU
Your links aren't working for me.

I would look at the budget and mainstream gaming builds and see which cases are recommended for the motherboard size you currently have.

Same for PSUs. if you are buying a new PSU, you may want to consider where you are going in 3-5 years and buy for this so you don't need to upgrade again. Also depending on electricity costs you might consider 80 plus Gold rated PSUs.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.7Ghz Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G HSF: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Mem: 2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB + a few spinners
PSU: Seasonic SS-760XP Platinum Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Monitors: 2 x Dell 2007FP 1600x1200
06-09-2014, 07:36 PM,
(06-06-2014, 05:55 AM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote: Hey guys

I'm fairly certain my 450 PSU just isn't cutting it for games. If you remember my troubleshooting threads with the ntstrokl (or whatever it was) error code, with frequent crashing and freezing during games, that's me.

I've been having random crashes on my HTPC for a little over a year now since I built the system, looked through your posts (found recently while looking for info on my problem), and I'm wondering if we're experiencing the same problem. Some of the specs might look familiar:

-G.SKILL RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
-Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB
-Asus HD7850 DirectCU II V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E
-Asus P8B75-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155
-Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core
-Antec 350W ATX12V
-Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Things I've tried:
-tried a 700W Thermaltake power supply--thought it made things better for awhile, but hard to say given the random nature of things; in the end didn't solve it
-ran memtest86 overnight--no errors on 7 passes
-applied all driver updates (used AMD drivers for GPU, sometimes avoiding HDMI audio driver, sometimes not--we're using the analog audio output from the motherboard)--tried VIA and Asus audio drivers

Like you, I suspected the video card for awhile, but lately I've been thinking the problem is the audio--I've seen times where the audio has switched to 2.0 from 5.1 on its own, so I wonder how good the drivers are.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience so far--hopefully one of us can get this figured out!
06-10-2014, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM by Rapajez.)
350W does seem a little low to me. You mentioned updating the drivers. Does that include the latest motherboard audio driver downloaded from the ASUS website? You should be able to find your specific mobo model there, and see all the latest drivers. Based on the range of problems, maybe your mobo itself is wacked. :/

Back to the original questions. Since you have a "Micro-ATX" motherboard, check out some of the recommended cases in the latest budget gaming builds. Remember, Micro-ATX is different the "Mini-ATX" and regular "ATX". Usually, a case will support more than one size, but you want to verify before you buy.

FYI, smaller or more unique cases may be slightly more difficult to assemble, and cooling may become an issue. Most decent cases now have holes to route cables behind the motherboard, to hide all your cable mess and keep the airflow to the important stuff. Smile

Same advice with the PSU, check out the latest build guides.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
06-10-2014, 02:05 PM,
(06-10-2014, 11:04 AM)Rapajez Wrote: 350W does seem a little low to me. You mentioned updating the drivers. Does that include the latest motherboard audio driver downloaded from the ASUS website? You should be able to find your specific mobo model there, and see all the latest drivers. Based on the range of problems, maybe your mobo itself is wacked. :/

Same advice with the PSU, check out the latest build guides.

I wondered if I was cutting it a little too close with 350W, but like a said, I still had problems with a 700W PSU. I have tried the latest ASUS motherboard audio drivers. I'm using an NMedia 500B case, and I haven't seen any sign of overheating, though I've tried adding case fans to move more air out the back, and they haven't seemed to help.

The crazy thing is I can go days without issues, and then have multiple crashes within hours, so narrowing it down is tricky. I've had it crash, and then tried my hardest (multiple video streams at the same time) to replicate the crash, with no luck.

Given that JCD and I are talking about the same MB, probably purchased around the same time, I wonder if we got a wacky batch.

Personally, I'm thinking the next thing I might try to a clean install with Asus drivers only
06-11-2014, 04:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 04:59 PM by Rapajez.)
(06-10-2014, 02:05 PM)Eldar3333 Wrote: Personally, I'm thinking the next thing I might try to a clean install with Asus drivers only

Absolutely try a clean install, when all else fails. I'd recommend this order.

1. Get the latest drivers from ASUS, your GPU, and anything else you need on a USB drive. (You can also use a USB thumb drive to re-install Windows, if you want to Google that. Make sure you add the device drivers AFTER Windows sets up the USB drive).

2. Backup all your documents, game saves, etc. If you have a separate storage drive, that's the easiest. GameSave Manager can quickly get those game saves. Steam will let you dump all your games to backup disks as well.

3. Unplug any extra storage hard drives that won't run Windows. They can cause issues, plug them back in after you're done with the install.

4. Reboot and do a full Windows install. Choose to format your Windows drive completely.

5. Do NOT enable Windows update yet. First install all of your drivers. Start with the Chipset driver if you have one. When all drivers are done. Reboot, and then enable Windows update. Let it do it's thing.

6. Check out Ninite.com to quickly reinstall commonly used applications.

7. Reinstall your games and see what happens?

If you're still having issues. I'm out of ideas, other than a faulty mobo. Is it too late to RMA it? Smile
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
06-29-2014, 01:52 PM,
Well, reinstall didn't work.

I've duplicated the crash a few times now--seems that HD video is required to trigger it, and it may depend how much the video card is being utilized to decode.

In my reading I've become aware that this motherboard supports pcie 3.0, but only with an i5 or higher processor (I have the i3). My understanding is that this shouldn't cause a problem, but I'm wondering now if it is.

Anyways, I'm talking to Asus to see what they can come up with.
06-30-2014, 03:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
(06-29-2014, 01:52 PM)Eldar3333 Wrote: Well, reinstall didn't work.

I've duplicated the crash a few times now--seems that HD video is required to trigger it, and it may depend how much the video card is being utilized to decode.

In my reading I've become aware that this motherboard supports pcie 3.0, but only with an i5 or higher processor (I have the i3). My understanding is that this shouldn't cause a problem, but I'm wondering now if it is.

Anyways, I'm talking to Asus to see what they can come up with.

Create your own troubleshooting thread or come join mine, but don't post further here. It's better it's all in one place. Hopefully we solve this problem. This sucks.

http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=5177
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
06-30-2014, 07:24 PM,
(06-30-2014, 03:59 PM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote: Create your own troubleshooting thread or come join mine, but don't post further here. It's better it's all in one place. Hopefully we solve this problem. This sucks.

http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=5177

No problem--wasn't sure which thread was most current.