You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help deciding what to build
06-18-2014, 05:17 PM,
RE: Need help deciding what to build
video encoding, transcoding uses quite a bit of memory. if your running that software in advanced mode, depending on your settings it can slow down quite a bit.

while your in resmon, click on the memory tab and also see how much percent hard faults your getting hit with. this will tell you how many swaps is taking place between the memory and the page file.
06-22-2014, 09:36 PM,
I did the video conversion recently. I unfortunately didn't see this latest post beforehand, so can't comment on that part. I had Task Manager open to look at CPU and RAM usage.

During capture, the CPU usage varied from 3% to 16%. During encoding (on highest available settings) the reported CPU usage never exceeded around 27-28%, although from the graphs it looked as though one or two cores were being taxed significantly more than the others. RAM usage stayed below 3GB the whole time.

At this point, I'm sensing it's not worth it to spend money on a new build, seeing as I'm not using my machine heavily enough to warrant it. I guess I'm wishing that I had a lighter, lower-powered laptop/mobile rig, and a desktop that would have good airflow and higher power and eat through tasks quickly, but that's not a need.

Thanks to you all for your help.
06-23-2014, 10:59 AM,
Good luck!

I'd still give the SSD a try! Worst-case, you have a much faster and more enjoyable PC experience! Plus, you can use the SSD in a new Desktop, if you ever decide to build one.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround