You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tier 4 built, having crash issues
05-12-2014, 04:34 PM,
New Tier 4 built, having crash issues
My wife and I built the tier 4 gaming computer this past week. The only changes made were a different case http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EVU...UTF8&psc=1 , a larger SSD( went to 240 as she has a few games she wants the boost to, such as SIMs 3 and every expansion known to man and some known only to monkeys I swear), and the tier 3 video card the GTX 760 and a power supply we bought from a local shop. I wanted to get the recommended one, but for some reason Amazon, Newegg and a few other sites could not get it shipped to me in under 2 weeks, so my wife got impatient.

My wife already tossed the box for the power supply, but I know its 700 W and it should not be the problem as I put it in my computer temporarily when I installed my new video card to see why it was crashing( I did not have a large enough power supply) so I went and bought the same one.

So far, I have taken each part out one at a time and tried running it, I have swapped out her ram, the video card with mine( same card and they both work in my system with zero flaws), and made sure its not overheating and has adequate air flow.

The problem is the system keeps crashing. At first, it was giving us a BSOD after a few minutes, but a check of the forums fixed that by making a change to the bios as per this threads advice (http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=1007 ). Then I reinstalled windows all over, and everything seemed ok until she tried to run her games. SIMs 3 and Civilization 5( only games she has tried so far) both cause the computer to shut down after 15-20 minutes or so. No BSOD, just a black screen and no responses. The computer seems to be running still for a short time before it restarts, asking if we want to run normally, safe mode, etc.

I have tried everything I know of, and I am now at a loss. I will take any help you guys can offer me, thanks a ton.

(( btw, as we were advised awhile back, the GTX 760 is like a dream come true for me, and for her before her computer crashes heh, so thanks for switching my mind to it, I have zero regrets, was worth the higher cost then the original card I was going to get.))
05-13-2014, 08:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 08:40 AM by PwnBroker.)
RE: New Tier 4 built, having crash issues
win7 or win8? setup a crashdump in the system advanced recovery tab and see if will dump something you can troubleshoot.

are those 2 the only pieces of software you are having trouble with? if running windows 8 you may have to do some tweaking and there may very well be nothing wrong with your hardware.

one thing you might try before doing anything else is changing the "compatibility mode" for the app to windows7, if running winddows 8, and see if it does any better.

good luck
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM,
We are running windows 7 home atm. No, we tested some other games and all games we are trying are causing the crashes, L4D2, Tribes Ascended, Rift wont even start properly.

How do I do a crashdump? I see you said its in the system advanced recovery tab, but I want to be 100% sure I understand how to do something before I try it, thanks!

If it helps, a friend told us to run Memtest86 and it showed zero problems, and we also used PC Wizard CPUID and it did not show an issue either, but we are not 100% sure how to use that program so we may have missed something.
05-13-2014, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM by PwnBroker.)
here is a link to show you how to do it, and you may have to load the sdk debugger program if not already loaded:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx

one other thing you may have already done, but make sure you have loaded/updated most of the main drivers from the vendors site, not from microsoft.(for ex: gpu, mainboard, etc.)

good luck

another useful tool,that i forgot to mention, that you can setup system and performance reports into a file that can usually pinpoint system errors is the performance monitor tool. got to start and enter "perfmon" in search. click on the utility and it will bring it up. there is a help section on how to setup monitoring and pull the reports.

good luck
05-13-2014, 12:42 PM,
Thanks, going to try all this shortly after I pick up my kids, appreciate the help
05-14-2014, 09:06 AM,
After using these programs, and having a friend happen to be nearby and check the reports, turns out we just got unlucky and got a defective motherboard. We are returning it and getting a new one, I will update you guys on how that goes. Thanks again for the help.
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM,
good to hear you may have isolated the trouble. if your board is the biostar board from the mainstream article tier 4, there seem to be a few DOA reviews so that may be it.

one thing i would try before sending it back if you havent done so already, is to check the bios build on your mother board as compared to the latest release. there seem to be a new bios update this year to update cpu code. it may not fix it but ive fixed several machines with a simple bios update. heres the link to the update page for the biostar board:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/intr..._ID=644#dl

good luck
05-15-2014, 08:52 AM,
We did return it already, but I will definitely do that when the new one arrives today, thanks again!
05-15-2014, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM by LordRavnos.)
Well, new motherboard and processer came in, same problem sadly. 30 minutes into her games, screen goes black and computer crashes. I went to the link you supplied, we downloaded that update, but when we try to use the file it says it cant open this file because it does not recognize the file type and cant find a program to use it with. What do you suggest we get? Thanks

Also, we have her computer set to dump the crash info, but we cant find it, and I am afraid I am having issues using the link to figure out how to install a program to read it and what not. Any chance of a walk through for dummies? Again, thanks

Curious, I had issues with my computer when the power supply was too small, the one we got her was 700 watts. We have the red switch set to 115, could that be the problem by any chance? I dont wanna flick the switch since I dont know what it will do, but it stuck in my mind for some reason.
05-18-2014, 12:51 PM,
First of all, thank you so much for all your help.

Second of all, we have found out what the problem was. I have no idea how or why, but apparently my wife put her power supply in upside down and I never noticed. I am guessing hte power supply was overheating since the fan was not blowing OUT of the tower, but it was not telling us the power supplies temperature so I never figured it out. I did not figure this out til I decided to take her tower 100% apart and put it back together by myself.

Again, thanks for the help, I love this site and the forum goers so much.