You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken PC
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM,
Broken PC
I first came to this site to build a PC and I followed the steps and eventually built my computer about 2 years ago. Now after a few years, my GPU has broken and it is not under warranty. Any recommendations of what I should do? Any places that are good to get GPU's fixed? As you can see I am desperate...
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM,
RE: Broken PC
Going to need more information before anyone can help.

What are your system's specs?

What makes you think your GPU is broken?

What steps have you already taken to troubleshoot/fix it?
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
03-12-2014, 05:13 PM,
(03-12-2014, 07:37 AM)Rapajez Wrote: Going to need more information before anyone can help.

What are your system's specs?

What makes you think your GPU is broken?

What steps have you already taken to troubleshoot/fix it?

Sure thing,
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 XMP
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W

So these very weird lines that don't look like they are supposed to be there appear and I can attach a picture of that too...also, I can get it to the desktop screen but when I open Internet Explorer it waits about 3 seconds and the screen goes black but the computer still runs.

I have taken in a video card from my older PC and replaced it with the broken GPU and the older video card doesn't show the lines and it keeps running when I run Internet Explorer. Therefore, it must be the GPU unless there is some other thing I can't think of.
03-13-2014, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM by Rapajez.)
Yeah, that does sound like the GPU is bad. Do you have another PC you can put the "bad" GPU into? Just to verify the issue follows your card, and it's not your PSU or something else like that.

Is your card factory overclocked? There's a couple of recent posts where users had to "down-clock" their cards to resolve similar issues. If so, you can try using a free utility like "MSI Afterburner" to lower the clock speeds.

Hopefully you can find a solution. If not, it sounds like you may be in the market for a new GPU. If you're going to bite the bullet, I'd recommend an AMD R9 270X. It's basically the latest equivalent of your HD 6870. AMD is a little overpriced right now due to shortages, so if you can find one for the same price as the 270X, pick up the faster NVIDIA GTX 760.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
03-14-2014, 12:22 PM,
artifacting and black screen does point to defective gpu since you can run a different gpu. if the other gpu that works, uses power leads from the psu then you can "almost" rule out power problems and pcie chipset problems. if you have access to a multimeter, then you can check the power lead voltage at 12v with no more drop than .5 to .75v.

you can check for overclocks by going into catalyst command and overclocking and set it back to default.

as a technician rule, i dont seat suspect bad parts into a working machine, mainly because if it is defective and shorts out in the good machine then it could disable that machine.

since its not under warranty anymore, i would take the gpu out, remove the shroud and get a can of compressed air and clean the living crap out of it since dust and heat kills electronics. thats about all a novice can do other than ordering a new gpu. if you have the tools, you can try to reflow the chip and reapply thermal paste to the heatsink.

good luck
03-14-2014, 01:07 PM,
(03-14-2014, 12:22 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: as a technician rule, i dont seat suspect bad parts into a working machine, mainly because if it is defective and shorts out in the good machine then it could disable that machine.

Good point. I'm used to working with other people's parts/money at my job...so I'm not as cautious. :p
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM,
(03-13-2014, 01:03 PM)Rapajez Wrote: Yeah, that does sound like the GPU is bad. Do you have another PC you can put the "bad" GPU into? Just to verify the issue follows your card, and it's not your PSU or something else like that.

Is your card factory overclocked? There's a couple of recent posts where users had to "down-clock" their cards to resolve similar issues. If so, you can try using a free utility like "MSI Afterburner" to lower the clock speeds.

Hopefully you can find a solution. If not, it sounds like you may be in the market for a new GPU. If you're going to bite the bullet, I'd recommend an AMD R9 270X. It's basically the latest equivalent of your HD 6870. AMD is a little overpriced right now due to shortages, so if you can find one for the same price as the 270X, pick up the faster NVIDIA GTX 760.

I have tried it in another PC as well. My card isn't overclocked and I wouldn't even be able to get the program on there because the screen would go black before I could even open the program. Okay I'll look at those, thanks for the suggestions.
03-17-2014, 08:01 PM,
(03-14-2014, 12:22 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: artifacting and black screen does point to defective gpu since you can run a different gpu. if the other gpu that works, uses power leads from the psu then you can "almost" rule out power problems and pcie chipset problems. if you have access to a multimeter, then you can check the power lead voltage at 12v with no more drop than .5 to .75v.

you can check for overclocks by going into catalyst command and overclocking and set it back to default.

as a technician rule, i dont seat suspect bad parts into a working machine, mainly because if it is defective and shorts out in the good machine then it could disable that machine.

since its not under warranty anymore, i would take the gpu out, remove the shroud and get a can of compressed air and clean the living crap out of it since dust and heat kills electronics. thats about all a novice can do other than ordering a new gpu. if you have the tools, you can try to reflow the chip and reapply thermal paste to the heatsink.

good luck
Okay, Ill try the compressed air can trick, thanks for the tips.