You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
07-03-2014, 07:02 PM,
RE: Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
How long did you let Memtest run? Overnight? If yes, that pretty much rules out the RAM.

If you both get crashes during downloading and both have the same wireless adapter, I'd try removing it from your PCs and try heavy downloading through LAN (wired). See if that helps.

I saw that you have a 450W PSU, but what brand and model is it?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
07-03-2014, 11:54 PM,
RE: Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
(07-03-2014, 07:02 PM)MathieuB Wrote: How long did you let Memtest run? Overnight? If yes, that pretty much rules out the RAM.

If you both get crashes during downloading and both have the same wireless adapter, I'd try removing it from your PCs and try heavy downloading through LAN (wired). See if that helps.

I saw that you have a 450W PSU, but what brand and model is it?

Oh thank god you're here!

VP450

Also, we really got to get this guy to tell us what his wireless dongle is, if we have the same one I think we can safely blame it as the problem. It's driver has always been unstable, and anything other than it's default windows driver seems to be unusable. There used to be that bandwidth indicator thing in the bottom right but at some point it just disappeared and I didn't know what to make of it. After that though it started to be less unstable.

I don't know why I never suspected the wireless dongle. Then again we may find it isn't the problem. I have a good feeling it is.

Thanks for coming back to this problem, I can understand why it's demotivating.
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
07-04-2014, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM by MathieuB.)
The Antec VP450 should have no problem powering your build, unless its defective. Considering that you have problems while downloading (not drawing a lot of power) and what you just said regarding the driver of your wireless adapter, I'm inclined to think that it might just be the source of your problems.

Perhaps you can find a newer driver on the manufacturer's website? See if that helps. Or contact their tech support. If you can't fix it, a new decent and reliable wireless adapter is $20-40.

"Thanks for coming back to this problem, I can understand why it's demotivating. "
No worries. I haven't been around much lately, personal life requiring a lot of my time. Working a bit more slowly but surely.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
07-05-2014, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014, 10:57 AM by Eldar3333.)
Sorry I haven't updated for a bit--it's been a busy week.

I don't have wireless with this system--it's wired to a gigabit router.

Well, Asus was supposed to call Monday evening, but they didn't call Monday or Tuesday, so I called them Wednesday--the tech suggested running PC Diagnostics (comes on disc that came with the motherboard, installs under Windows) and gave me a case #.

I ran through the tests without obvious problems, and ran the stress test overnight without issue (supposed to stress CPU, GPU and RAM), but I still sent the report to Asus with my case# (it's an option in the program).

I was able to replicate a crash later, so I called in again Thursday. This tech was less interested in talking--suggested I clear the CMOS and monitor for 24 hrs. Well, I almost thought I had solved something (though the thought that simply clearing the CMOS would solve after ALL the stuff I've tried drove me a little nuts!), but I did have a crash late yesterday. I tried again to crash it overnight, but it didn't, so I'm trying again today.

On the sound front, I'm using the analog outputs from the motherboard to my speakers. The last time I re-installed windows and graphics drivers I did not install the HDMI audio driver for the video card. The HDMI audio driver for the motherboard (when using the iGPU) is present, but I believe I have it disabled. When the HDMI audio driver for the video card was present, it seemed to want to default to it unless I outright disabled it.

When I built the system originally, I used the audio drivers from VIA, but I found things a bit flaky--sound going be to HDMI, configuration going back to 2.0 after being set to 5.1, or the surround speakers stop working till one sets it to 2.0 and then back to 5.1.
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM,
" When the HDMI audio driver for the video card was present, it seemed to want to default to it unless I outright disabled it."

That doesn't sound right. What order did the drivers get installed in?

Not to introduce more variables, but check out the utility "SlimDrivers Free". Ignore all the ads and don't install the extra stuff. It can scan for and install out-of-date drivers, and sometimes can alleviate issues like this.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-07-2014, 07:02 PM,
(07-07-2014, 05:16 PM)Rapajez Wrote: " When the HDMI audio driver for the video card was present, it seemed to want to default to it unless I outright disabled it."

That doesn't sound right. What order did the drivers get installed in?

Not to introduce more variables, but check out the utility "SlimDrivers Free". Ignore all the ads and don't install the extra stuff. It can scan for and install out-of-date drivers, and sometimes can alleviate issues like this.

I only installed drivers from Asus this time, starting with chipset--don't remember for certain, but I think I followed with GPU, lan--audio was probably last.

As far as audio, I'm wondering if the audio drivers are working correctly--I don't think 5.1 from the Netflix windows app is working, but I'll need to check with something definitive.

I'll probably avoid 3rd party driver utilities, at least until I've exhausted my support options with Asus.
07-17-2014, 11:58 AM,
(07-04-2014, 03:25 PM)MathieuB Wrote: The Antec VP450 should have no problem powering your build, unless its defective. Considering that you have problems while downloading (not drawing a lot of power) and what you just said regarding the driver of your wireless adapter, I'm inclined to think that it might just be the source of your problems.

Perhaps you can find a newer driver on the manufacturer's website? See if that helps. Or contact their tech support. If you can't fix it, a new decent and reliable wireless adapter is $20-40.

"Thanks for coming back to this problem, I can understand why it's demotivating. "
No worries. I haven't been around much lately, personal life requiring a lot of my time. Working a bit more slowly but surely.

I'm sorry you guys haven't figured it out for the other guy.

For me though, it was definitely the wireless dongle. For him, it might even be the same problem. It might be out of our hands however, because it might be extremely technical.

Games nowadays are data miners, either for DRM purposes statistical purposes or both. I think whatever the problem was had to do with that and the old technology/protocol that this guy's network resources have in common with my netgear dongle. Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon was the worst offender in this case and turning down settings for some reason fixed this. On high settings I've been playing it for weeks and I have not encountered a single crash. Surely I would have had a crash by now. I promise to post back if this changes, but I think this is definitely the fix I needed.
07-24-2014, 11:48 AM,
(07-17-2014, 11:58 AM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote:
(07-04-2014, 03:25 PM)MathieuB Wrote: "Thanks for coming back to this problem, I can understand why it's demotivating. "

I'm sorry you guys haven't figured it out for the other guy.

For me though, it was definitely the wireless dongle. For him, it might even be the same problem. It might be out of our hands however, because it might be extremely technical.

Glad you got it solved for you. Smile

Not much to update lately--still getting crashes occasionally. I need to call Asus again, but haven't had the time with family and holidays.
08-28-2014, 12:39 PM,
I thought I should reassure people that the problem was in fact solved. It's been months, so I know for sure now. I have never had a single identical problem. I had my own theory above to why this problem would be so prevalent during gameplay of all things, but of course I'm not sure.

I do know for sure however that it WAS IN FACT that wireless dongle that I do not use anymore. I bought a new one. The driver for that thing was always erratic, whether it was the windows default, the one you could download and either version at that.

Stay away from WNA1100. It sucks.
09-17-2014, 11:48 PM,
Update--I ended up with a RMA set up with Asus, but in the rush to get it packaged, I bent some of the CPU pins--so I'm shopping for a new MB, along with re-evaluating my HTPC config in general.