You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
03-06-2014, 07:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 03:55 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=3631

This problem was never really solved.

If you look throughout the thread, memory and heating are definitely ruled out. This is definitely a gpu problem though. Lowering settings on games makes this a less occurring problem noticeably.

While playing Bionic Commando lowering the resolution stops freezes. Lowering some intensive settings on other games also helps, such as Blood Dragon.

Currently I'm trying to beat The Witcher and while the game runs like butter mostly lately I've been gettings lockups.

I figured I wouldn't necro the other thread since a lot of the comments there including mine are useless and simply crowd up the thread.

Possible problems I perceive are power supply insufficiencies and/or problems created from the gpu I have being superclocked.

Since the problem definitely stems from the gpu being under load, whether that's some unseen operation/software/whatever problem, or whether it has to do with power, downclocking the gpu would definitely lessen or eliminate the problem.

I thought I'd see what you guys had to say first. I'd also need help downclocking as I've no idea how to.

The only thing resembling a clear direction I could go in was this:

"you need to troubleshoot that ntoskrnl.exe stop 0x0124 error, this will help:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-...t-try.html"
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
03-06-2014, 10:41 AM,
RE: Hard Lockup When Playing Games (intermittent, random occurence)
Memory wasn't ruled out, you ran mdsched, which is a basic memory test by Windows, not quite good enough to rule out RAM. Neither is opening a lot of programs.

As I suggested in the thread:
"I'd highly recommend running Memtest86+, as this sounds like a RAM issue. You can create a bootable CD/DVD by downloading an ISO image from their website and then burning it to a CD or DVD: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Get the pre-compiled bootable ISO.

Run Memtest 86+ overnight (at least 8 hours) and see if it reports any errors. If it does, the RAM is the most likely issue and I'd get it replaced under warranty."

That and I'd lower the frequencies of your superclocked video card, back to the standard/default/stock frequencies for a GTX 650.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-06-2014, 10:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 10:47 AM by Rapajez.)
If you want to downclock, start by re-installing the latest NVIDIA driver. Then you can download MSI Afterburner, which will allow you to adjust the clock speeds, fan profiles, voltages, etc...

I take it the Video Card is no longer under any warantee? You could try that route too.

Scanning through the thread, I didn't see anyone ask if you've tried a full re-install of Windows. As a last resort, I'd give that a shot. That should at least eliminate the OS or some wacky program/driver as the issue.

Some Windows Tips:

When you first boot, disable windows update, re-download and install the latest NVIDIA driver, then reboot and re-enable Windows update.

If you have a separate drive, you can backup your Steam games to it and quickly re-install them after. Same with all your files. Make sure you keep the backup drive disconnected while re-installing Windows though.

You can quickly re-install most software by checking out ninite.com, which lets you download and install a ton of common programs in a few clicks.

EDIT: Woops, try Mathieu's mem recommendations before any of the above.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
03-07-2014, 02:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
(03-06-2014, 10:41 AM)Rapajez Wrote: If you want to downclock, start by re-installing the latest NVIDIA driver. Then you can download MSI Afterburner, which will allow you to adjust the clock speeds, fan profiles, voltages, etc...

I take it the Video Card is no longer under any warantee? You could try that route too.

Scanning through the thread, I didn't see anyone ask if you've tried a full re-install of Windows. As a last resort, I'd give that a shot. That should at least eliminate the OS or some wacky program/driver as the issue.

Some Windows Tips:

When you first boot, disable windows update, re-download and install the latest NVIDIA driver, then reboot and re-enable Windows update.

If you have a separate drive, you can backup your Steam games to it and quickly re-install them after. Same with all your files. Make sure you keep the backup drive disconnected while re-installing Windows though.

You can quickly re-install most software by checking out ninite.com, which lets you download and install a ton of common programs in a few clicks.

EDIT: Woops, try Mathieu's mem recommendations before any of the above.

I'm not sure how memory isn't ruled out when quite clearly this is a gpu problem, based on the fact that lowering gpu intensive properties in games lessens the problem and raising gpu intensive properties worsens it.

I'm not sure why both memtest is so unreliable and also why putting my ram under load (it was close to 100% and for at least 5 minutes I think) isn't a reliable test.

Not arguing, I'll try memtest 86 since I have a few spare disks, just not sure why.
03-07-2014, 06:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
*sigh*

I thought I could format the blank disc as a flash drive. Since it gave me the option between formatting it as an optical disc and formatting it as a flash drive, I thought that this was some fancy new feature with windows 8 where you could get an optical drive to imitate a flash drive.

Well now it's all screwed up. While it was formatting it "as a flash" it said error. I don't know how to go back to the original prompt though. When I insert the disc I don't get the same response where the thing will flash in the upper right and ask me what I want to do with it.

In short, the thing's all fucked up now and I can't format it by right clicking, it starts to and doesn't work.
06-30-2014, 03:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
Sorry I was an asshole about the memtest thing. I finally did it, but it encountered no errors. Does that mean it's ruled out, or I need to do different tests with memtest?

If someone can reply, give me a checklist of things I need to do.

I have re installed windows on this computer before. I'm not sure if that rules out software or not, perhaps some drivers are stubborn or somehow inherent.

I reopen this problem because recently I've bought a bunch of games on steam. Big files, they take awhile to download. At some point my computer will freeze and just sit there like that until I realize it's frozen and turn it off. No buzzing sound.

I've gotten blue screens, random restarts, buzzing lockups, and quiet lockups. In the past when I used to use the desktop for shortcuts (now I keep it clean, just because I feel like cluttering my background and not using the start menu is kind of dumb, although this is the windows 8 start menu, ugh) sometimes they would randomly rearrange themselves.

I think this might point to a hard drive fault. When downloading, the drive is under 100 percent load almost constantly. When playing games during downloads, things are very stutter. Otherwise the experience is 60 frames per second or at least 30 most of the time, but little patches of stutter.

I'm willing to try everything. Please give me a check list to go through, or ask more questions about specific symptoms. There was another guy who has had similar problems and was posting on my thread asking about psus and computer cases. I'll link to that thread, and then reply that he should reply to this thread.

http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...8#pid24758
06-30-2014, 07:33 PM,
RE: Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
I had posted in another thread about my similar problems:
Quote:I've been having random crashes on my HTPC for a little over a year now since I built the system, looked through your posts (found recently while looking for info on my problem), and I'm wondering if we're experiencing the same problem. Some of the specs might look familiar:

-G.SKILL RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
-Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB
-Asus HD7850 DirectCU II V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E
-Asus P8B75-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155
-Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core
-Antec 350W ATX12V
-Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Things I've tried:
-tried a 700W Thermaltake power supply--thought it made things better for awhile, but hard to say given the random nature of things; in the end didn't solve it
-ran memtest86 overnight--no errors on 7 passes
-applied all driver updates (used AMD drivers for GPU, sometimes avoiding HDMI audio driver, sometimes not--we're using the analog audio output from the motherboard)--tried VIA and Asus audio drivers

My most recent efforts include:
-reinstall windows 8.1 (uefi secure boot)
-swap ram (put in 2x8GB corsair)
-switch to iGPU
-tried physically removing video card, but ran into problems with UEFI setup, had to go back to the last restore point

none have solved the issue. I've been able to reproduce the crash with a HD netflix stream--10min to about 2hrs required for crash. I called Asus and they suggested memory (even though memtest86 showed no errors), so I swapped the ram with another machine. They told me the case was being pushed up, and that they'd call me back tonight. We'll see where it goes.
07-01-2014, 12:00 AM,
RE: Quiet/Buzzing freezes, BSODs, Random Resets, Occurs during lengthy downloads
(06-30-2014, 07:33 PM)Eldar3333 Wrote: I had posted in another thread about my similar problems:
Quote:I've been having random crashes on my HTPC for a little over a year now since I built the system, looked through your posts (found recently while looking for info on my problem), and I'm wondering if we're experiencing the same problem. Some of the specs might look familiar:

-G.SKILL RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
-Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB
-Asus HD7850 DirectCU II V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E
-Asus P8B75-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155
-Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core
-Antec 350W ATX12V
-Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Things I've tried:
-tried a 700W Thermaltake power supply--thought it made things better for awhile, but hard to say given the random nature of things; in the end didn't solve it
-ran memtest86 overnight--no errors on 7 passes
-applied all driver updates (used AMD drivers for GPU, sometimes avoiding HDMI audio driver, sometimes not--we're using the analog audio output from the motherboard)--tried VIA and Asus audio drivers

My most recent efforts include:
-reinstall windows 8.1 (uefi secure boot)
-swap ram (put in 2x8GB corsair)
-switch to iGPU
-tried physically removing video card, but ran into problems with UEFI setup, had to go back to the last restore point

none have solved the issue. I've been able to reproduce the crash with a HD netflix stream--10min to about 2hrs required for crash. I called Asus and they suggested memory (even though memtest86 showed no errors), so I swapped the ram with another machine. They told me the case was being pushed up, and that they'd call me back tonight. We'll see where it goes.

That's good you got some manufacturer pros helping you. Let us know how it goes.
07-02-2014, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM by JCD-Bionicman.)
I also have a NETGEAR WNA1100 N150. It has always been screwy. That's my wireless network adapter. Please post back soon, hopefully you didn't give up. Do you have the same wireless adapter?

I'm also going to post my specs into my sig so it's always there.

Question, under dxdiag there are three different categories of sound. So if I plug my headphones into the front, I'm not getting the best quality sound, like from my video card (obviously it's not a sound card, but it has better quality sound that mobo I'd assume).

I wonder if that's also why sound is screwy in wolfenstein the new order. It defaults to NVIDIA audio device or whatever. My headphones are plugged into the front. I never considered whether or not I was getting optimal sound from the connection.
07-02-2014, 11:52 PM,
Please, come on, guys, someone please respond? Mathieu? What are the most extreme measures to be taken here? Is the nearby geek squad worth it? I'm so sick of this crap. Next computer I build is definitely off the exact recommendations of the site.