You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to alter a tier 4
02-25-2014, 12:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM by LordRavnos.)
Want to alter a tier 4
Hey, building a new computer for the wife, and I wanted to know if the Nvidia GTX 750 Ti would work with it? Friend bought me 2 of them because of a discount and I really want to put em to use. If I need to make other alterations to make it work, I am willing, thanks for the help.

Edit: Forgot to mention, she plays mostly Rift, The Secret World, Star Trek Online, Left for Dead 2, Tribes Ascended< Borderlands 2, Path of Exile and Payday 2( we get around on games a lot :p ) Thanks again.
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: Want to alter a tier 4
Assuming you mean you want to use both of the cards at once, in a dual-card, or "SLI" setup? Unfortunately, the 750TI does not support dual-card "SLI" configurations.

On the flip-side, if you meant you only want to install 1 GTX 750Ti, you can go with the T4, unaltered, but that card alone is meant for budget builds, and would be a big bottleneck in a T4 rig. It may get the job done in those games for now, depending on your monitor's native resolution. Of course, you could always build with the 750Ti now, and then upgrade down the road (like in late 2014, when the brand new generation of "Maxwell" chips drop).

Might not be practical where you're at, but you'd get a huge performance leap by selling the 2 cards and picking up a single GTX 760.

Another thought...if you already HAVE the 2 cards, you could try to install both, and designate the lower one as a Physics processor, for "NVIDIA PhysX". Be sure to plug your monitor into the top, primary card. Only a few games make use of PhysX, and most people wouldn't say it's cost effective...but if you already HAVE the 2 cards...might be worth a shot.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM,
(02-25-2014, 01:20 PM)Rapajez Wrote: Assuming you mean you want to use both of the cards at once, in a dual-card, or "SLI" setup? Unfortunately, the 750TI does not support dual-card "SLI" configurations.

On the flip-side, if you meant you only want to install 1 GTX 750Ti, you can go with the T4, unaltered, but that card alone is meant for budget builds, and would be a big bottleneck in a T4 rig. It may get the job done in those games for now, depending on your monitor's native resolution. Of course, you could always build with the 750Ti now, and then upgrade down the road (like in late 2014, when the brand new generation of "Maxwell" chips drop).

Might not be practical where you're at, but you'd get a huge performance leap by selling the 2 cards and picking up a single GTX 760.

Another thought...if you already HAVE the 2 cards, you could try to install both, and designate the lower one as a Physics processor, for "NVIDIA PhysX". Be sure to plug your monitor into the top, primary card. Only a few games make use of PhysX, and most people wouldn't say it's cost effective...but if you already HAVE the 2 cards...might be worth a shot.

Actually I was planning to use just one, the other was going to go in my machine to replace my current one. I have the tier 4 from a year ago, but it looks the same( cat stepped on the HDMI to mini HDMI converter piece of card came with and bent it horribly, messing up both the video card and piece, only way to use it is to have it held up with some 550 cord, yes I thought about eating the cat after that).

What do you mean by bottlenecking the machine? If this card is not going to be the best, I will sell em and get something else, I want to give my wife something that will last, and match it on mine. Plan is to have 2 machines that are identical so if anything goes wrong, I already know the machine well enough.

Also, would the tier 4 take the GTX 760?
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM by Rapajez.)
Well, what resolution is your monitor, and what card is(was) in your old T4 rig? The 750Ti may actually be a step down. As a point of comparison, the 750Ti is actually a little slower than the 650Ti, but uses much less power. It was geared for budget low-power/low-profile builds.

Sorry about the cat, lol. I had a custom water cooler leak on my first $300 video card...not awesome.

If you have a 1080p monitor (like most), it sounds like the 750Ti will get the job done, especially since most of the games you listed are not very demanding. You'll just have to lower settings to get playable frame rates in any newer, more demanding games, like Battlefield 4 or Assassins Creed 4 (really anything "4").

Here's a comparison to the $250-ish GTX 760: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1038 . The 760 is around 60-80% faster on average. Yes, the Tier 4 is compatible with a GTX 760. Really, it will work with any modern card, with the only limiting factor being how much juice your power supply (PSU) is supplying. (500W is good enough for T4 and a 760.)
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
02-25-2014, 05:16 PM,
We use 1680x1050. And ouch on the water cooler leak. From what I saw, I will sell the old cards and go with the 760s, thanks for the help.

My old card is/was a GTX 560 Ti, I tried to look and failed to find out ( my google fu is weak at times, sorry) does the 760 use HDMI, HDMI Mini or Micro?
02-26-2014, 11:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM by Rapajez.)
Well, 1680x1050 is even less demanding than 1080p, so the 750Ti should be sufficient for your needs. It's hard to find a direct comparison with the 560Ti, just don't expect the 750Ti to be much of an improvement. Now a GTX 760 should let you max out all the details and settings at 1680x1050, and provide a much smoother frame-rate. Plus it will be more future-proof if you upgrade your monitor or purchase newer games.

The ports on the back of the GTX 760 depend on the exact vendor you go with. Usually, they have 1 of each: DVI-I, DVI-E, HDMI, and DisplayPort. This card has all those ports, and is one of the better 760's on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClocked-...B00DHW4HXY . (I haven't seen "mini-HDMI" in any recent models.)

A few more questions I should have asked up front. What PSU are you using? You should be fine as long as it's at least 500W. You may also want to check the card isn't too long (EVGA is 9.5"); although, I doubt that's an issue, unless you have a smaller custom case.

No matter which card you end up with, make sure to grab the latest GPU drivers straight from NVIDIA's website. Don't go with the drivers that Windows Update tries to auto-install.
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM,
Yes, we are using 500W PSU, I dont think we need any higher than that, but thanks for asking, I don't always think about that ahead of time. My case is long enough, although my wife was wanting a custom case that ended up smaller, we will look for a larger one since we have a week or 2 before we can start to build em anyway.

And I never let Windows update important things like my video card, I always update from NVIDIA thanks to an experience I had a few years ago that caused me to have to wipe my drive and install from scratch, would NOT let me remove the windows drivers. Learned my lesson.
02-26-2014, 02:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM by Rapajez.)
Cool, you should be all set then. The case should list the maximum GPU size somewhere in the description. You can still find tiny cases that will fit full sized GPUs. Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811119286

Also, I linked to Amazon for that GTX 760, but if you buy the same EVGA card from Newegg, it comes with a free copy of Assassins Creed IV (about a $60 value).