You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need Help Building A Cheap Gaming PC
02-16-2014, 09:03 PM,
I Need Help Building A Cheap Gaming PC
Hello, I need help building a cheap gaming PC

I need it to
1.) Be able to run Payday 2, League Of Leagends, and Minecraft, all at the lowest ( I just need them to run without any lag) on my ~17" HDTV, I don't really know what resolution, but the TV can run 780p and 1080P
2.) Be able to run Netflix and VLC Media Player through my ~44" HDTV, again, I don't know the resolution but I do know it runs 780p and 1080p
3.) I need to be able to make my audio/video output through HDMI (technically VGA should work, but I would prefer HDMI if possible.)
4.) I shouldn't need a case, I have a case from old PC laying around. (and my friends have other ones in case mine won't work)
5.) I shouldn't need a hard drive, I've been asking around and I should be able to boot from my laptop hard drive (which has windows 7 64-bit on it, which ) with no issues so long as I boot from all new hardware (this goes around having to fiddle with the bios supposedly) if this won't work let me know please, or advice to help ensure it will work is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to keep my budget below or at $500 but I can stretch a couple hundred more if I ABSOLUTELY have to.

Any help is appreciated thank you for your time.
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: I Need Help Building A Cheap Gaming PC
Check out the latest Budget Build Article: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budge...mber-2013/

The Tier 0.75 should suffice, if you turn some of the Pay Day 2/LoL settings down. Even with a new case and drive, that would be ~$460 + the OS and accessories. The Tier 1 would be much more future-proof (for new games) if you can stretch your budget another $100 (especially with the 8-core CPU upgrade). Either way:

1.) If you have a 1080p TV, you'll want to set Windows and your games to run at 1920x1080. That's your "Native Resolution", and anything else will look funky.

3.) The recommended builds all have HDMI out. They'll do audio/video to your TV just fine.

4.) I would highly recommend buying a modern case from the article, as an older case could make your new build much more frustrating, and may not have the best airflow, front-inputs, etc. If you're going through the trouble of a new PC build, I think the $50 for a cheap case is a must. It depends on exactly what you mean by "old PC" though.

5.) Again, I'd recommend picking up one of the recommended new hard drives in that article. The recommended 500GB drive is around $50. Couple issues with the laptop hard-drive:
A.) You'll probably have to re-install windows, as there will be tons of different device drivers in the new PC. Even if it works, it will probably lead to issues down the road. A fresh install of Windows is always the best option on a new PC.
B.) Laptop hard drives are typically optimized for battery life, not performance. The system would take longer to start applications, load games, etc, and feel much less responsive in general.
C.) If you still want to use the old case and laptop drive, you'll probably need a "3.5 to 2.5 HDD adapter" to mount inside your case. Just a few bucks on Amazon.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround