You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just had a horrible realization
02-02-2014, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 08:08 AM by Phrosty.)
Just had a horrible realization
I just realized that none of my case fans work and I feel like none of them have ever worked. I have them all plugged into the case fan knob thing and I am pretty sure that the power is plugged in. I suppose it is time to take some panels off and take a look.

Would you all suggest plugging the fans directly into the motherboard or have them plugged into the case fan control knob?

Sent from my rooted HTC one.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
02-02-2014, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM by Brandonsr.)
RE: Just had a horrible realization
My first choice would be to use the fan controller, but if you have trouble getting it to work, there is no harm in plugging them into the motherboard. One problem is you can't control the speed if they are plugged into the motherboard (3pin).

Side note: If the fans have been off this whole time you're probably not going to like the sound of the fans at full rpm.
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
02-02-2014, 05:52 PM,
Is it possible to have damaged any component because of this?

02-02-2014, 10:26 PM,
My guess is that both your CPU and GPU would have throttled down if they got too hot but I think it wise to fix ASAP.
02-04-2014, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM by Phrosty.)
Alright so I got everything running. All I did was wiggle some cords and unplug and plug things back in. I have room for two more fans up top. Would it be worth it to get them? If I did would they need to blow in so have four fans blowing in and one fan blowing out?

edit - Here is my case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811147161

edit 2 so it looks like I can fit 8 fans in this thing. -_-
02-06-2014, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 11:35 PM by Rapajez.)
Positive air pressure is always a plus (more intake fans then out). It keeps the dust out and helps eliminate dead zones (in theory). But top fans should always be exhaust. Heat rises, and the rear exhaust fan always ends up against a wall or desk or something.

You're probably fine without adding any fans, unless you're having trouble keeping components cool. I just stuck a piece of cardboard in my top slots that kept the dust out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM,
My case has several dust covers over the front and top openings. My desk is also situated where there is a ton of room between the wall and the back of the computer. The only thing I worry about is the cat rubbing up against the front since that is intake fans. But like I said there is dust filter things in it to stop that stuff. I have also not done a temperature check or anything either. Undecided

02-21-2014, 11:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM by Rapajez.)
Speaking of cats, I used to keep the case on one of my first rig's open all the time. One day I came home from school, and my kitten was actually sleeping inside, while everything was up running. I would have thought cats would be better conductors of electricity.

It still performed ok though, other than the burnt kitten smell.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround