You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First build/tier recommendation
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM,
First build/tier recommendation
How's it going HR members?

First post, a little overwhelmed by all the information provided. Simply looking to build a rig that would play current MMORPG around 60 FPS for around 5 years before I decide to build another computer.

Majority of gaming time would be on World of Warcraft ( raiding ). Would also like it to run dual monitors so I don't have to always alt-tab out. Bonus if within budget would be that it if can also be used to play DVDs while also gaming since I have a very young son who likes to sit on my lap.

My budget is about 1000-1500, I have 3 HD monitors 32in +, so looking for a smaller monitor with low input lad.

Not sure what other information would be vital so feel free to ask questions, my budget is pretty flexible especially if it would mean a great boost in performance.
01-07-2014, 04:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: First build/tier recommendation
Assuming you're looking for a 1080p monitor? If so, you could probably skirt by with the Tier 2 build from the Budget article, but with your budget, Tier 3 or 4 from the Mainstream article would be a lot more future-proof. Anything higher would probably be overkill if you're only playing WoW.

The SSD in that article is also highly recommended for WoW, even if you go with a lower tier. It cuts down the loading times in WoW to almost nothing, in additional to all the other benifits of an SSD--faster boot times, faster application loading times, lower power, etc....

All the builds include DVD players; although you'll need a recommended Blu-Ray player if you want to play Blu-Rays.

I'm confused by this statement "I have 3 HD monitors 32in +". If you already have those monitors, do you want a rig that can stretch a game across all 3, or a rig that only has to game on a new, single monitor. Youtube "Eyefinity" or "Nvidia Surround" if you don't know what I mean by "stretch the game".
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
01-07-2014, 07:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM by XxcarpediemxX.)
What I meant was that I have 3 HD tv's that are only collecting dust since I've just recently bought a new 65 inch LED.

I was more or so wondering if I could use 2 of em at same time plus a smaller monitor because I don't like playing on a big screen. For example I was hoping I'd be able to play one of my sons dvd's on one monitor, have strategies and informational pages opened on another, and the game playing on the 3rd smaller monitor that I plan on purchasing.

Question on the SSD, will 250 be enough to have, WoW, Guild wars, Rift, and Oblivion? Also would you put windows 8.1 on the SSD as well?

I already have a 1TB HDD that I could add to the build.

GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked 3GB GDDR5 384bit, Dual-Link DVI-I,
DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card

Motherboard

MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z87-G45 GAMING

CPU

Intel Core i5-4670K

CPU cooler

Noctua NH-U14S

RAM

16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Trident X Series

Power Supply

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W

SSD

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB

Case

Rosewill Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case THOR V2 Black
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM by Rapajez.)
Well, since you already have the 3 monitors, and the build you're describing is powerful enough to handle it, you may want to try something like this: http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=4642 . You could still game on the center screen, while using the outer 2 for the purposes you stated with that setup, but that way you'd have the Surround option also available to you. Of course, you can still go with your new, smaller monitor plan, but Surround gaming will only work over 3 identical displays.

Either way, that card comes with 1 port each for HDMI, Display Port, and DVI, so you may need some converters to cable up all 3 displays.

If you don't want to mess around with Surround gaming, and just game on a single 1080p monitor, you could probably cheap out on the video card. Granted the a 780 will be more future proof, a 760 can max out most current games at 1080p. If you have the budget for the 780 though, go for it.

On a related note, that Power Supply would be overkill. The Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Modular would be more than enough for $80 less. On the other hand, your mobo supports SLI (multiple video cards), and the 1000W would be able power 2 cards. Which brings up another savings alternative. You could purchase a cheaper GPU now (a GTX 760 or 770), and add in a 2nd card, down the road when you need it.

Each of those games are between 10-20GB, and Windows is another 20, so the 256 will be enough to fit all of those, all your applications, and have 100GB+ to spare. You absolutely want to install Windows on the SSD to take advantage of the performance boost (Windows will boot faster, feel more responsive etc.)

You'll want to keep the 1TB for storage (music, pictures, videos, etc). Unplug it while you install Windows on the SSD, as there's occasionally install issues when 2 drives are connected. After Windows is installed, plug it in, and follow the guide on this forum to move your documents folders...to the HDD. The process may be a little different with Windows 8.1, so you may have to do some Googling to move the default save locations. Make sure you buy a SATA cable if your mobo only comes with 2 (You need 3. 1 for the DVD, SSD, and HDD).

Lots of options!
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround