You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "Required" for a HTPC?
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM,
What is "Required" for a HTPC?
My father was at my home recently and we watched a movie from one of the various online streaming sites. We got to talking about it and were wondering if Cable/Satellite could be completely removed while still being able to watch our live sports and TV shows.

What I'm asking is....
What hookups beside the internet do you need to watch everything you want to watch with a HTPC setup?
I know there are various sites out there where I can ditch HBO and still watch Game of Thrones when a new one comes out but what is the absolute minimum you need to watch anything you want via the internet?
01-06-2014, 11:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: What is "Required" for a HTPC?
you will need an OTA antenna and a tuner card(or after market set top box that includes an ethernet connection and video in connection for the antenna) and it will all depend on how many channels you can receive relative to your location. for example, with a descent digital antenna in New York, you could get around 60 channels. keep in mind that these are mostly "public" channels and not heavily liscenced channels like ESPN, which you will not be able to get without a paid cable/video subscription.(although some channels including ESPN3 can be viewed using apps or online web browser viewing which can be streamed thru an HTPC.)

one way to cut down on cable company fees is to get rid of the set top box and have them send you a cable card for the HTPC, for a fee of course. at least that would get rid of the set top box rental.

so you see, you can do a lot to reduce your monthly cable bill but "watch anything you want via the internet" is not yet possible, at least legally.