You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Video (VHS to Digital)
12-29-2013, 12:44 AM,
Home Video (VHS to Digital)
Hi guys,

I am trying to transfer some old VHS to digital so that my mother-in-law and wife can have all their old VHS home videos on DVDs and/or one large external hard drive. I bought a device to transfer them and that works fine, but now I am into the editing process. What file should I use to save my videos? When I recorded the files from CHS to the computer I chose DVD which saved the files as .mpg (Movie Clip). The editing software I got that came with (called ArcSoft ShowBiz) has the following options for choosing the file to create after editing: ASF, AVI, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2, QTMOV, WMV. I chose MPEG2 for a couple edits so far because I saw that was a good choice based on a website I found, but I thought I'd get someone else's opinion. I'm not looking for amazing quality (these are home videos from the late 80's and early to mid 90's) but I do want a file that can be easily burned to DVD for watching on a television or easily viewing as a file saved on an external hard drive and possibly edited in the future if I forget to remove any random useless bits. Sorry for the long email. I'd appreciate any help with this. Feel free to move to another section if I posted in the incorrect thread. Thanks!
Case: Corsair 600T CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 GPU: Asus GTX 670 DC2T SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X PSU: Seasonic X750 80+ Gold Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG Keyboard: Logitech G110 Monitor: Asus VH238H 23" LED