You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build Stopped Posting after some mild OCing
12-22-2013, 06:22 PM,
So I'm putting together a rig for my brother for Christmas, after not having built my own PC for quite some time.

Everything booted up just fine, initially. I was tweaking BIOS settings and doing some mild OCing, then going into the OS and running SuperPi's and Prime95 tests. Temperatures seemed just fine during Prime95 (nothing over 50C). I come back down stairs after an hour of Prime95 to a black screen. I figured no problem, I'll reset CMOS and try again. Now the **** thing won't post at all no matter what I do. I've unplugged everything except essentials, cleared CMOS, tried a different PSU I had laying around, removed RAM sticks on at a time, checked all connectors, etc.

What would cause the rig to not boot at all after a little bit of OCing? I only touched voltage on the CPU once, going a setting higher (like 1.32v instead of 1.3v). Everything else was messing around with RAM timings, HT Transport, etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Specs-
FX-6300
Asus M5A97 R2.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD
Corsair CX500w PSU

EDIT-
Couple other details I'm noticing-
The video card fans aren't spinning when I boot up. I'm not sure if these only turn on when I go into the OS, but it seems strange. I plugged in an old 8800GT and the fan spins, but still nothing on the monitor.
I connected the case speaker once I started having problems, but I'm not hearing any beeps at all.
12-26-2013, 08:34 AM,
What often helps in cases like this is to see if the motherboard throws out some error codes. Now given that the monitor shows nothing and not sure other than ASRock has hex code lcds on the motherboard itself, you may need to plug in a vga card if you do not have that board on the back of the mobo.

Another thing to check is different slots on the board.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
12-30-2013, 12:51 PM,
RE: New Build Stopped Posting after some mild OCing
since you tried another psu i would suspect the MB. if you have the MB speaker hooked up then it should give some post beeps if its good. you can try to test the psu if you have a VOM. unplug everything except for the hard drive. short out pins 15 and 16(green and black) on the 24 pin connector and check all of the voltages. if they are in spec the psu is good. if that passes and you have reset cmos and still nothing, id RMA the MB first and go from there.

good luck