You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
11-05-2013, 01:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM by Brandonsr.)
#21
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
It looks like I will be picking up a R9 290 as well. Hopefully I have to funds within the next few weeks, if not maybe I'll try to get 60-80 dollars for my 6850.
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
Reply
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM,
#22
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
(11-05-2013, 12:28 PM)Rapajez Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how that all shakes out. It seems like even when they're beating the competition, the reference models are being held way back by cooling. They actually downclock from 1000 the moment the fans get loud. I'm willing to bet a good cooler will unleash even more power from these R9's.

Still don't get the 290X pricing though. It seems like the 290X would have to come down to like $450, as the 290 is already 97% as fast in most games.

because the 290 got a driver update a week or 2 ago to the reference models that increased max fan to 47% instead of the fixed 40%. amd said that is where it is going to stay as well. kinda dumbfounding actually, but the 290x being a "configurable" gpu may be the reason for the higher price.

something else interesting is the performance difference in the 290x reference numbers and the 2 retail models that Toms reviewed. im just wondering what will come of the 290 retail models. these things run hot so will a quieter cooling solution reduce performance and is performance gonna be consistent between the different retailers?

i will probably wait till things pan out a bit to add to any custom builds, but even then at 47 to 57db a good pair of closed headphones or a custom water block could be in order. (these things are so loud even anandtech is not going to recommend them lol)

but still, price/performance is stellar. gotta love competition.
Reply
11-06-2013, 10:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM by Rapajez.)
#23
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
What do you mean by the "290x being a configurable GPU"? I forget.

I saw the difference between the review and retail cards on Tom's article as well. Very interesting...AMD claimed the retail card was a "bad sample". As Tom's put it:

[Image: radeon-r9-290-review-benchmarks,Q-Q-407906-22.jpg]

Anyway, if the last few generations are any indication, I'd think the GPU partners could release coolers that were BOTH cooler AND quieter. Since these R9 cards are throttling back due to heat, I'd expect a direct correlation between GPU performance and cooling performance. I guess we'll just have to do some more waiting...Hopefully 2 weeks from today they'll be a few nice models rolling out, and a nice GPU roundup article to read up on.

Actually, that same article shows how a modified cooler and OC easily added 20% usable performance, while at full load, being about as quiet as the stock cooler at idle.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rade...59-19.html
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
11-06-2013, 04:01 PM,
#24
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
hey thanks for pointing that out, i missed that part of the article. in that case, it looks like a clear winner at that price range and they clocked it to over 1 Ghz, and hopefully the retailers will keep it around the MSRP. and after doing some more reading and reviews it looks like what Toms found with the 290x retail versions that they tested against is different from what some of the other sites have tested.
Reply
11-06-2013, 04:10 PM,
#25
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
Yeah, it seems like even if a 3rd party card is $50 more, with a factory OC and a cooler that's efficient and quiet, it's still probably the price/performance winner.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)