You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
10-15-2013, 12:39 PM,
#11
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear what's happening with the 290 and 290X as well. Last I heard they were launching today, now apparently launch has been delayed a week or two. Makes me wonder if we'll see some reviews today anyway or not.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
Reply
10-16-2013, 11:43 PM,
#12
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
Next thing I know, there's supposedly a Radeon 290X demo in an hotel in downtown Montreal Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully we'll get some new info about the launch date...
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
Reply
10-18-2013, 01:41 PM,
#13
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
Supposedly all the NDA Benchmarks are with the 290X in "Quiet mode", but this is a leak of "Performance mode".

http://videocardz.com/46929/official-amd...e-17-games

Who knows. Assuming that it's similar to Nvidia's latest auto-overclocking tech, advanced coolers will probably let the "Performance Mode" push the GPU even higher.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM,
#14
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
I'm curious to hear what's that so called "performance" mode. I'm guessing it's higher frequencies/voltage at the expense of noise.

Nvidia just announced a Geforce GTX 780 Ti, to be launched in mid November, to replace the GTX 780. I'm guessing that it's just a GTX 780 with higher frequencies. Of course, they announced it now to steal the thunder's from AMD's R9 290x launch.

Until I see real reviews, I'm waiting...Last I heard, R9 290x launch is next Thursday. I'm leaving on vacations for a week on Saturday the 26th >.>
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
Reply
10-18-2013, 02:33 PM,
#15
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
I'm assuming it's the same thing as Nvidia's "GPU Boost 2.0". Where the card will automatically OC itself until it hits a predetermined temperature target.

I agree, it's all hearsay until there's some hard reviews, including the actual prices of the things. Still, if there's any merit to these leaks, it will probably trade blows with the Titan for hundreds of dollars less. Plus it will hopefully include a nice bundle of free AAA games.

Interested to see how the 780 Ti compares. Was expecting Nvidia to launch a "Super Titan" or something today too.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM by Rapajez.)
#16
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
There you have it: http://www.techspot.com/review/727-radeo...age11.html

$549 (+$20 for Free BF4 Edition), and it trades blows with the $1000 Titan. I think there's 2 key points to keep in mind in all these early reviews: 1.) these are REFERENCE coolers, and 2.) these are BETA drivers. I'd imagine performance will only go up, especially with "performance mode" limited only by cooling. The only cons right now are it's power consumption, heat and noise, which could both be addressed given my two points above. Also, it's apparently safe to run a 290X at 95C, according to AMD...

We'll have to see how the 780ti will compare, but it would have to at least match the price/performance of the R9 290X, which you'd think would mean price drops across all of NVIDIA's high-end cards. That or more game bundles. Either way, it's a good time to be in the market for a high-end GPU. Smile
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
10-30-2013, 10:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM by Rapajez.)
#17
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
R9 290 NDA and release pushed back to Nov 4th: http://www.techpowerup.com/193497/radeon...-week.html

Apparently AMD has a new driver that drastically improved performance on the 290, and wanted to get it to all the reviewers before lifting the NDA. From the leaks, it sounds like a 290 may be a better value for me. I'd probably go with a 290 Xfire over a 290X, depending on the final reviews. I'd buy 1 290 around Black Friday, and then drop another one in when needed.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
11-05-2013, 10:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM by Rapajez.)
#18
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
Well, looks like the R9 290 specs are out. It sounds like it practically ties the R9 290X, for $150 cheaper @ $400. It also sounds like there's some cooling and noise issues though, so it's probably a good idea to wait however long it takes for AMDs partners to start selling modified cards with better coolers. If you can stand the noise though, it seems like the a better buy over the GTX 780 or even the R9 290X.

Looking at the reviews, I don't know why anyone could justify spending $150 more for the R9 290X. It barely leads the R9 290. Maybe there's more overclocking or boost headroom? I guess we'll have to wait for more details and aftermarket designs to know for sure. I think I'm picking up the first well reviewed, nicely cooled R9 290 that pops up on Newegg, or 2... Wink
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply
11-05-2013, 10:54 AM,
#19
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
"I think I'm picking up the first well reviewed, nicely cooled R9 290 that pops up on Newegg"

Sounds like what I'm going to recommend too. The stock cooler is way noisier than it needs to be, AMD needs to update their stock cooler...
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
Reply
11-05-2013, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 12:30 PM by Rapajez.)
#20
RE: Buy 770 now or wait for AMD announcement?
It'll be interesting to see how that all shakes out. It seems like even when they're beating the competition, the reference models are being held way back by cooling. They actually downclock from 1000 the moment the fans get loud. I'm willing to bet a good cooler will unleash even more power from these R9's.

Still don't get the 290X pricing though. It seems like the 290X would have to come down to like $450, as the 290 is already 97% as fast in most games.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)