You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedfan: CPU 128 degrees! HELP! I'm BURNINATING!!
08-29-2013, 09:37 PM,
Bug  Speedfan: CPU 128 degrees! HELP! I'm BURNINATING!!
Hi guys. Before anything else, THANK YOU!! I've just finished building my first rig as per your suggestions and feedback and it is amazing. I'll post the spec later for anyone interested. Now...

The title says it all. I boot up my computer after a friend set up my software, download Speedfan to check my temps and almost have a heart attack! 128 degrees on the CPU (little flaming icon indeed). Funny thing is... the computer works fine, the other cores even say 30's. I've looked on the interwebs and found quite a few people with the same problem... that SAME number.

I've turned off the computer and left it sitting quietly out of fear (/sob And I was so sure a computer would finally give me no problems) and immediately came to you guys. HELP!! I only have a week of vacation left before I have to start my 3 jobs! Teachers have NO FREE TIME!!

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you can give me.

Spec: (CPU) i7 4770K
(MOBO) MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
(CPU Cooler) Noctua NH-D14
(Ram) Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB
(PSU) XFX PRO 850W XXX Semi Mod Silver+
(GPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 780 /w ACX SuperClocked 3GB
(SSD) Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
(HDD) Seagate Barracuda 1TB
(Case) Corsair Obsidian 650D
(Monitor) ASUS VS247 1920x1080
08-30-2013, 01:16 AM,
If your cores say 30's then I would uninstall speedfan and use an app that is realiable like realtemp. That's an app used from overclockers.

Besides if you saw temps like that you would see some serious throttling.

Use RealTemp and let us know what you see.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
08-30-2013, 07:34 AM,
RE: Speedfan: CPU 128 degrees! HELP! I'm BURNINATING!!
Installed RealTemp: At 1% load I'm seeing 35-39 on all four cores. So I guess I don't need to call the Fire Dept. I did have some problems installing the Noctua Cooler (aside from the fact that it slashed my finger and drank my blood!, those spring screws are annoying!!). Those would be "OK" temps for idle then?

It already required a blood sacrifice, please tell me it's ok... Pretty please?
08-30-2013, 10:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM by Zeraph000.)
Update: At 13% load it doesn't pass the 42 mark. Distance to TJ Max 60-64. I've read this is normal for the i7 4770K and Noctua. Can anyone confirm this? I'm not gonna OC right now just worried that it might give me probs when playing and such.
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM by pedwards.)
The real test is under 100% load for 15 minutes. Either Prime95 or LinX (I recommend the former) will tell you where you are at. Another alternative is play your favorite game, but Im not a fan of that given you cant monitor temps as easily in the moment although its the most representative of your machine use.

However it sounds like you had some difficulty mounting the heat sync. May be air bubbles in your paste or a bad seating. So make sure you watch your core temps as it runs and stop it if you hit 70+ deg C.

EDIT: what would also be good is regarding your ventilation in your case. How many fans are running, everythng connected, running ok, etc.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
08-30-2013, 11:49 AM,
first off, haswell is a different animal than SB or even IB. due to various on cpu changes it runs hotter than the former gen cpu's. the main thing is the voltage regualtor is on the cpu with this chip. under max load with linx it runs 20deg C hotter than IB chips. with this comes energy effeciency, haswell is only energy effecient at lower clock rates and voltages.

the idle and light load temps you posted appear to be what i have seen with haswell chips. you can expect it to be high at load under stress, close to 80 deg C.

if you are going to overclock, do some research, like i said its a little different.

good luck
08-30-2013, 12:17 PM,
Re: Speedfan: CPU 128 degrees! HELP! I'm BURNINATING!!
128 degrees sounds like an error, your CPU would be dead at that temperature. The Core temperatures seem much more realistic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
08-31-2013, 02:13 PM,
Def sounds like speed fan has an error, but would be good to see what load temps are now if there is ever an intention to OC later. Also given the 3 job constraint coming soon. Smile

Also, last time I checked for another post, I though haswell has the same temp limits as SB? IB was 5C more, and Haswell being more focused on power efficiency is back to Tmax of 100C? I came up dry and couldn't even find it on the Intel site which used to post Tmax in the past.

From experience, after I had repasted a CPU on a laptop which had better idle temps than before, then after the paste set only to find higher temps than prior. I don't trust much idle temps only, and know pasting can be tricky.

Checking it under load is still where I would go here to be sure... especially if future OC'ing may be an option, and Zeraph0000 has the time now to check.

My 2 cents, but trust everyone's advice here.
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM,
(08-31-2013, 02:13 PM)pedwards Wrote: Def sounds like speed fan has an error, but would be good to see what load temps are now if there is ever an intention to OC later. Also given the 3 job constraint coming soon. Smile

Also, last time I checked for another post, I though haswell has the same temp limits as SB? IB was 5C more, and Haswell being more focused on power efficiency is back to Tmax of 100C? I came up dry and couldn't even find it on the Intel site which used to post Tmax in the past.

From experience, after I had repasted a CPU on a laptop which had better idle temps than before, then after the paste set only to find higher temps than prior. I don't trust much idle temps only, and know pasting can be tricky.

Checking it under load is still where I would go here to be sure... especially if future OC'ing may be an option, and Zeraph0000 has the time now to check.

My 2 cents, but trust everyone's advice here.

here is the specs from intel for haswell:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Inte...o-3_80-GHz

IB:

http://ark.intel.com/products/65520

Tcase temps for haswell is almost 6 deg C higher.

with the voltage regulator now on the cpu it is more effecient normally. at higher clocks the regulator kicks in and supplies the chip with needed voltages regardless of what the MB is set for. you can set it manually but then your effeciency and power suffers at lower clocks. hence why this chips gets hotter above stock clocks.
09-10-2013, 01:44 AM,
(09-04-2013, 11:57 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: here is the specs from intel for haswell:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Inte...o-3_80-GHz

IB:

http://ark.intel.com/products/65520

Tcase temps for haswell is almost 6 deg C higher.

with the voltage regulator now on the cpu it is more effecient normally. at higher clocks the regulator kicks in and supplies the chip with needed voltages regardless of what the MB is set for. you can set it manually but then your effeciency and power suffers at lower clocks. hence why this chips gets hotter above stock clocks.

Ah, I see what you mean by the Tcase... also noticing the Max TDP which talks about the power draw in Watts. What I was hoping to see however was the relative Tmax per core would be as it seems to be a round about way to determining max temp. Also the Tcase seems to be much lower than what we see on laptops or OC'ed units.

I may be hallucinating, but I seem to recall Intel published temps like Tmax per core in the past. Perhaps, due to issues with OC'ers or what have you, they changed those specs.