You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSD and HDD Help
08-26-2013, 10:37 AM,
SSD and HDD Help
I just finished building my PC. I installed Windows 7 and before doing so I unplugged the HDD like Newegg told me to so everything went fine Win 7 went onto my SSD but then I plugged in the HDD but all my files are still going on to the SSD. How do I put only select files (Games) on the SSD and the rest on the HDD? Here is my build:

Orders from Amazon
(All prime)

CPU

Intel Core i5-3350P- 180$

Hardrive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB cache SATA III- 63$

SATA Cable

StarTech 18in SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable (SATA18RA1-3$

Solid State Drive

Samsung 840 120GB- 90$

Case

Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, Black CHALLENGER-U3)- 40$
Mother Board

ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard - 85$

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack- 90$

Orders From Newegg
(All free shipping)

Optical Drive

LG 
GH24NS95- 15

Monitor

AOC E2460SD 60Hz 24.0" Monitor- 130$

RAM

Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory- 60$

Graphics card

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR- 205$

Power supply

Apevia 500W ATX Power Supply- 45$

Thank You
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM,
Re: SSD and HDD Help
When you install programs or various things and it asks where you want to install them too, click browse and go to the hdd.

Now if you are talking about my documents and that stuff, just create each one of those folders on the hdd and then right click the my documents shortcut and change it to the folder you created in the hdd.
Do the same thing for
My documents
My downloads
And all the other my things.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
08-26-2013, 12:45 PM,
RE: SSD and HDD Help
here is a step by step guide written by mwhals:

http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...p?tid=3141

what i normally do is create 3 folders on the hard drive: Program Files, Program Files(x86), and User.

then all you have to do is is change the drive letter on when the install wizard prompts save location. it kinda keeps thing organized as well.

and like phrosty said, all of the User locations you want to move you will have to point them there(the guide explains it well enough).
08-27-2013, 10:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM by Silen.)
(08-26-2013, 12:45 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: here is a step by step guide written by mwhals:

what i normally do is create 3 folders on the hard drive: Program Files, Program Files(x86), and User.

then all you have to do is is change the drive letter on when the install wizard prompts save location. it kinda keeps thing organized as well.

and like phrosty said, all of the User locations you want to move you will have to point them there(the guide explains it well enough).

The Problem is it is only picking up my SSD. I cannot find the HDD. But on the Samsung Magician (Program that came with the SSD) is picking The HDD up.
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM,
(08-27-2013, 10:26 AM)Silen Wrote:
(08-26-2013, 12:45 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: here is a step by step guide written by mwhals:

The Problem is it is only picking up my SSD. I cannot find the HDD. But on the Samsung Magician (Program that came with the SSD) is picking The HDD up.

go into bios and see if the HDD is listed among drives. if it is boot into windows and go into disk management and see if it shows up there and if it is unallocated space. if it is just intialize and format it.

if that doesnt work, try another sata port and reboot.
08-28-2013, 07:51 PM,
SSD and HDD Help
Another trick is to remove the hard drive and make the SSD the only drive. Install Windows and then reinstall the hard drive. Also make sure you have the SSD on a SATA port that you don't have disabled in bios.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit