You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First PC Build
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM,
RE: First PC Build
I'll post more pics when I have some time. But just a "nearly there" pic. We managed to clean up the top cable just a bit. Cable management isn't perfect, but its better than I expected.

I tried the auto-overclock feature in the BIOS this morning. One click got me to 4.3 GHz, so a full 1.0 GHz overclock. I didn't have a chance to stress test it properly yet, but I ran some short spans with Prime95 as well as temp tests. Barely goes over 50. I'm hoping to try for 4.5 GHz and stay around the 55 C mark. If I can get that to run stable this weekend, I'll be happy.

[Image: 033.jpg]
03-18-2011, 02:11 PM,
That board looks real clean in there. Nice job. I'll guess I'll save a bit more for the Sabertooth.

03-18-2011, 03:14 PM,
(03-18-2011, 02:11 PM)coonhound Wrote: That board looks real clean in there. Nice job. I'll guess I'll save a bit more for the Sabertooth.

I love the way the board looks. And I love that it matches the burly overlook look of the build. I would never buy something as important as a motherboard based on how it looked... but it does make me like it more.

I have to say that I'm happy with all the components I chose, though its hardly been long enough to be certain. The motherboard was something I did a fair amount of research into, and I not only liked the Sabertooth for its feature set but also how it was reviewed. I've been impressed by the build quality, small additions it includes, the BIOS interface and how easy it is to use, and even the software it came with. Could not be happier with it.
03-18-2011, 05:16 PM,
(03-18-2011, 03:14 PM)Bigpapa42 Wrote:
(03-18-2011, 02:11 PM)coonhound Wrote: That board looks real clean in there. Nice job. I'll guess I'll save a bit more for the Sabertooth.

I love the way the board looks. And I love that it matches the burly overlook look of the build. I would never buy something as important as a motherboard based on how it looked... but it does make me like it more.

I have to say that I'm happy with all the components I chose, though its hardly been long enough to be certain. The motherboard was something I did a fair amount of research into, and I not only liked the Sabertooth for its feature set but also how it was reviewed. I've been impressed by the build quality, small additions it includes, the BIOS interface and how easy it is to use, and even the software it came with. Could not be happier with it.

Looks cool! Looking forward to even more pics when you have the time. Did anything about building surprise you? Was anything out of the ordinary, easier or harder than you thought it would be? I guess you still have some breaking in and tweaking to do but it sounds like you're pretty much finished!

Congratulations! Big Grin
03-18-2011, 06:20 PM,
Quite honestly, there was nothing really surprising or difficult. I think that was in large part due to spending some serious time reading how-to guides as well as the manuals for the components (I found them on the manufacturer's websites before I purchasaed the products). The ASUS mobo manual is quite detailed and specific. Anything that I wasn't sure on I managed to ask and get answered somewhere along the way.

I was tempted to start putting things together while I waited for the last components to arrive, but I mostly held off. The only things I had done before last night were the motherboard stand offs, put one of the hard drives into the sled, put the 50mm assistant fan on the hard drive (unnecessary but why not?), and a 120mm fan in the GPU vent.

The actual assmebly was fairly seamless. The issues I ran into were pretty minor. I read about some people having issues mounting the CM Hyper 212 + cooler, so I made sure to really research it. I had no trouble mounting it, but when I mounted the scissor-holder, the cooler unit shifted to the left a bit. Not far, but we ended up loosening the clip to slide it a bit and then re-tighten. When putting the hard drive sleds into the quick-mount bays, I kept getting caught up partway - the clips in the side were sitting a bit too far out in their rubber grommets, which made them catch on the hard drive cage when trying to slide the sled in. And the last "issue" was that the smaller of the two power connections for the motherboard (the one that connects at the top) was not long enough to go around the back of the case, so we initially ran it over top of the video card. Look crappy, but it would have worked... but I found a short extension (I think it came with the case) which then allowed us to re-route it properly.

The cable management was probably the most time-consuming aspect. Some stuff ended up being re-routed after realizing that it got in the way of something else. Its still not perfect, but it looks pretty clean and its decently organized.

I was glad to have my two buddies helping me. The one has built his own PCs before. The other hasn't, but he understands them well enough. I feel I could have completed the job myself, as there was nothing they knew that I was ignorant of or incapable of. It would have definitely taken longer and I doubt I would have managed the cables quite as well.

There were some funky noises on the first boot, which turned out to be tucked cables rattling against the front fan. It did post on the first boot and I managed to get through BIOS fine - the interface on the ASUS makes it very very easy to navigate, but reading up on it helps too. The Windows 7 install went fine and I was on my own by that point. I faced some concern when Windows wouldn't recognize the network connection... but I soon realized I had not installed the drivers and software for the motherboard, so that problem was solved. Now its just a matter of getting used Windows and figuring a few things out in there, plus moving a lot of data from my laptop to the PC.

It was a great experience overall, and I really look forward to being able to use a nearly top-end system, as well as the process of upgrading it in the future. The build was painless, and I found the two keys are being patient and being informed. Go in as knowledgable as possibel and you are ahead of the curve. In that sense, this site is a fantastic resource.

If I can do it, anyone can.
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM,
Well it does sound like you had a great time with this build! I'm glad to hear it went smoothly. I also appreciate what you're saying about being informed going into the build. To this point I've only read over a single build guide...not sure which site anymore....but have a general idea of what to expect. I plan to read all of my manuals by the time I actually build. I'm also planning on making notes and trying to put together a more specific chronological plan....from beginning to the point I have all OS and supporting software installed.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
03-21-2011, 05:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM by Bigpapa42.)

The rest of the build pics.

[Image: 012-1.jpg]
Mobo with cooler and assistant fan installed. No fan on the cooler yet.

[Image: 016.jpg]

[Image: 014.jpg]

[Image: 008.jpg]

[Image: 007.jpg]

[Image: 023.jpg]
The board goes in the case.

[Image: 022.jpg]

[Image: 029.jpg]
Getting close to done. Still some work to do with the cables.

[Image: 027.jpg]

[Image: 026.jpg]
[Image: 032.jpg]
Video card with air duct, which I put another 120mm fan in.

[Image: 033.jpg]
The nearly-done build.
03-22-2011, 12:03 AM,
Sweet pics man! So...how's it running? Smile

Thank you for sharing...looks beautiful! I bet you're proud! Big Grin
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM,
(03-22-2011, 12:03 AM)andiron Wrote: Sweet pics man! So...how's it running? Smile

Thank you for sharing...looks beautiful! I bet you're proud! Big Grin

Runs beautifully. Its fast, multi-tasks wonderfully, and handles everything I've thrown at it so far. I haven't tried it yet with the highest level games, but I was able to play Total War Shogun 2 while watching a movie on the second monitor and running iTunes in the background.

Already ordered my first upgrade... The Samsung 2TB hard drive I was eying up went on sale, so I ordered it last night.

I'm quite proud and happy. I have to say that this site was a fantastic resource for helping pull together ideas, decide on components, and get a grasp on what to expect. So thanks to Mathieu and everyone else.