You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First PC Build
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM,
RE: First PC Build
I'm curious, where did you find the ASUS Sabertooth P67 in stock?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-10-2011, 10:10 AM,
(03-10-2011, 02:13 AM)andiron Wrote: Bigpapa, would really enjoy seeing pics and hearing about your experience..when/if you have the time. Good luck!

Absolutely. The intent is to take plenty of pictures and give a full report on the build process.

(03-10-2011, 08:32 AM)MathieuB Wrote: I'm curious, where did you find the ASUS Sabertooth P67 in stock?

NCIX.com

I was more than a touch surprised to find it, to be honest. When I sent an enquiry about the board's availability to ASUS (guess I'm impatient), they gave me a generic response and a list of certified dealers in Canada. Its the B3 revised version and it says "in stock".
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM,
(03-10-2011, 10:10 AM)Bigpapa42 Wrote:
(03-10-2011, 02:13 AM)andiron Wrote: Bigpapa, would really enjoy seeing pics and hearing about your experience..when/if you have the time. Good luck!

Absolutely. The intent is to take plenty of pictures and give a full report on the build process.

(03-10-2011, 08:32 AM)MathieuB Wrote: I'm curious, where did you find the ASUS Sabertooth P67 in stock?

NCIX.com

I was more than a touch surprised to find it, to be honest. When I sent an enquiry about the board's availability to ASUS (guess I'm impatient), they gave me a generic response and a list of certified dealers in Canada. Its the B3 revised version and it says "in stock".

I've read a few reports of people getting it...and then seeing it go right back out of stock. I also saw one small site where the product was back ordered...and in fine print they said ETA March 25th. If this is true I would expect Newegg and other major sites to have it very soon! Not sure why so many people think it's an ugly board? Is that because they don't want anything covering the bits and pieces?! LOL

Really looking forward to hearing and seeing about your build! Big Grin
03-10-2011, 01:53 PM,
(03-10-2011, 10:23 AM)andiron Wrote: I've read a few reports of people getting it...and then seeing it go right back out of stock. I also saw one small site where the product was back ordered...and in fine print they said ETA March 25th. If this is true I would expect Newegg and other major sites to have it very soon! Not sure why so many people think it's an ugly board? Is that because they don't want anything covering the bits and pieces?! LOL

Really looking forward to hearing and seeing about your build! Big Grin

It was either yesterday or Tuesday - the week is blurring together - I saw an ASUS P67 LGA 1155 board show up on Newegg. It was around the $170 price point. It disappeared pretty quick and hasn't even been listed as out of stock since. If it had stayed up for longer, I probably would have been tempted to go with that board over the Sabertooth.

I can see why some don't like the look of the Sabertooth P67 board... it kinda looks like a solid black block. Some like the color that "regular" boards provide or just being able to see everything.
03-10-2011, 11:43 PM,
TigerDirect also has the Sabertooth P67 available

03-11-2011, 01:44 PM,
The motherboard has shipped, so my concerns about it being a "pre-listing" or something sketchy were unfounded. Newegg still doesn't have it, yet both NCIX and Tigerdirect have them in stock. Don't know why, but I was expecting Newegg to be quicker for some reason.

Everything else has shipped from Newegg. Likely won't get everything until mid-week or later.

I'm having some concerns about the RAM I bought. Its specifically listed as being compatible with the P67 board, which is why I went for it. But the motherboard manual doesn't list it (I don't think it lists any kits over 6GB) and the G.SKILL specs page seems to list every other ASUS P67 mobo... but not the Sabertooth. Guess I'll give it a try and hope for the best.
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM,
Looky Looky....now it's on Newegg! At least for the moment. So I guess availability is increasing? Here's the link for those following and interested ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I'm kind of curious about some of the other Asus P67 boards and what they offer as compared to the Sabertooth. I just saw several versions of the P8P67....including a higher end "EVO" edition. To revisit the subject of physical aesthetics...I can see where all the parts...colorful as they are...might be neat to look at when viewing the build. BUT if the TUF armor really works....as advertised...it's ingenious. I can imagine a hot graphics card such as the one I've been considering....the Quadro 4000....putting off a lot of heat. If that armor reflects some of the heat from that card away...and then allows for nice ventilation via the channels underneath...then it is well.....again...ingenious! With these new boards showing up...I'm feeling increasingly impatient. Hard to envision waiting for Bulldozer! Okay...peace out!
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM by Bigpapa42.)
Looks like Newegg has a full like of Asus boards for the LGA 1155 now. Only a day late. I only would have saved $5 on the item and maybe a few bucks on the shipping, so no harm.

I looked at the P8P67 EVO and P8P67 Deluxe... They are currently $210 and $240, so right around the same price point as the Sabertooth. In terms of features, they are pretty close. They both have dual LAN and Bluetooth suppoprt, plus a digital coax audio out. I think the Deluxe might have a bit better software suite, but I'm not certain. Everyone's needs are going to be different, but I wouldn't make use of the bluetooth, at least not right now, and I'm honestly not sure what benefit the second LAN would provide. I'm still happy I chose the Sabertooth.

Edit - it also looks the two P8P67 boards can handle faster RAM than what the Sabertooth can. Its only rated up to 1866 MHz RAM.
03-11-2011, 10:59 PM,
(03-11-2011, 05:41 PM)Bigpapa42 Wrote: Looks like Newegg has a full like of Asus boards for the LGA 1155 now. Only a day late. I only would have saved $5 on the item and maybe a few bucks on the shipping, so no harm.

I looked at the P8P67 EVO and P8P67 Deluxe... They are currently $210 and $240, so right around the same price point as the Sabertooth. In terms of features, they are pretty close. They both have dual LAN and Bluetooth suppoprt, plus a digital coax audio out. I think the Deluxe might have a bit better software suite, but I'm not certain. Everyone's needs are going to be different, but I wouldn't make use of the bluetooth, at least not right now, and I'm honestly not sure what benefit the second LAN would provide. I'm still happy I chose the Sabertooth.

Edit - it also looks the two P8P67 boards can handle faster RAM than what the Sabertooth can. Its only rated up to 1866 MHz RAM.

Yeah...noticed someone mentioning that in the thread I cited about the second fan. But I don't know much about RAM and how much it makes a difference to buy faster versions. A lot of times people say it's negligible? ANd I find it interesting how people can make the choice between these boards when they are basically so similar.
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM by MathieuB.)
With Sandybridge, faster RAM is pretty much pointless. The extra frequency brings in a very little increase in performance (1-2% at most) and you don't need faster RAM to overclock, because you need to overclock by raising the multiplier, which does not affect RAM frequency.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518