You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i7 - 2600K - Chipsets
02-26-2011, 06:33 PM,
RE: i7 - 2600K - Chipsets
(02-26-2011, 06:23 PM)andiron Wrote: Thanks Mathieu! I would be curious to see what you think of another review I just read. It is straight forward and goes into a bit more discussion about the 2600K and it's capabilities. Here ----> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374890,00.asp

I've read countless 2600K reviews, which part of that review do you want my opinion on?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
02-26-2011, 09:47 PM,
(02-26-2011, 06:33 PM)MathieuB Wrote:
(02-26-2011, 06:23 PM)andiron Wrote: Thanks Mathieu! I would be curious to see what you think of another review I just read. It is straight forward and goes into a bit more discussion about the 2600K and it's capabilities. Here ----> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374890,00.asp

I've read countless 2600K reviews, which part of that review do you want my opinion on?

The section I copied from PC Mag below...where it mentions performance in various benchmark tests....and especially towards the end... where it mentions the performance of the 2600K as compared to the 970 in the Photoshop CS5 test.

Here it is:

"What Intel had told us about the Sandy Bridge chips' prowess plowing through media-centric chores was even more fully proven. Things started to look impressive with Cinebench R11.5 rendering test, where the 2600K earned 6.86 points—the highest we've seen for any CPU within this general price class. Likewise, a round with Futuremark's PCMark Vantage full-system benchmarking app produced results of 5,905 in the Memories (photo editing) test and 6,280 in TV and Movies—again, the highest we've seen in both categories.

The picture brightened still further with our more practical tests. Handbrake, ArcSoft Media Converter, and Cyberlink MediaShow Espresso, all made quick work of transcoding our test video file into one optimized for the Apple iPhone 4, respectively requiring 93, 59, and 26 seconds. Those results were as good as or better than what we saw with budget discrete graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia. The Core i7-2600K also smoked all comers in our Photoshop CS5 test, blasting through all 12 filters in 2 minutes 57 seconds. That's well beyond even what we've seen with six-core chips from both AMD (4 minutes 20 seconds for the Phenom II X6 1100T) and Intel (the Core i7-970, which costs upwards of $800, needed 3 minutes 37 seconds); the closest non–Sandy Bridge competitor we've seen was Intel's four-core Core i7-870, which still took 3 minutes 34 seconds. If you're big into photo and video work, the Core i7-2600K can give you one of the biggest boosts on the market.
"

I have to say that if the 2600K outperforms the 970....even in just a few tests...then that makes for some confustion. Of course that would be only some testst...and not necessarily a test of what might happen with ZBrush, Maya 3D or other more demanding programs.

As I write this it occurs to me that my wife will spend a lot of time using CS5...perhaps more than just about any other program. Later on I'm sure she will be using both ZBrush as well as Maya. (and quite possibly others)

So, that's it...just wanted your thoughts...and appreciate your time...especially since I know you are a very busy guy....and I ask a lot of questions! Big Grin

02-27-2011, 04:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM by andiron.)
Okay...another update for this thread in addition to my last post....

I found the following site and ran a comparison of the i7-970 to the i7-2600K....using the comparison tool. I'm not technical enough to know what's most important...but the results make both of these processors look close. The 2600K wins in most all of the categories with a few categories going to the 970. In those categories the disparity doesn't look, at least to me, to be that great...but maybe it's of more consequence than I understand? Perhaps there are also other factors...for example how much RAM can be utilized by the 970 versus the 2600K? Anyway...for those with inquiring minds it's an interesting tool.

See it here ---> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=157

Oh....and this debate over the i7-970 versus i7-2600K is probably the best I found while digging. It's also the page where I found the previous link. ---> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576842

02-27-2011, 10:29 PM,
please stop this thread... andiron, you clearly do not understand & keep bringing up the same thing after he's answered more & more in depth. i only joined to respond to this one thread, and will never post again. bye
02-28-2011, 06:42 AM,
Sure the i7-2600K will win in single threaded performance, however if you're using programs that actually take advantage of all 6 cores the i7-970 will win.
Your friendly forum administrator.
02-28-2011, 08:50 AM,
(02-27-2011, 10:29 PM)scooby Wrote: please stop this thread... andiron, you clearly do not understand & keep bringing up the same thing after he's answered more & more in depth. i only joined to respond to this one thread, and will never post again. bye

Actually, I like this thread, since it's making me weight the pros and cons of both CPUs, before I start the Workstation updates.

Andiron has valid points and links to references. Can't blame him for doing his research and trying to get the best CPU for his needs. The i7-2600K does have the edge in Photoshop for example.

Andiron: As Andrew pointed out, only in programs that can take advantage of the six cores and twelve threads, does the i7-970 have the edge. In all other cases, the i7-2600K will have the edge.

In your case, if Photoshop is the program that will be the most used, then the i7-2600K would be a better option, not to mention that it's less expensive than the i7-970.

Also, towards the end of the year, Intel will be releasing 6-core Sandybridge CPUs, which will make for a nice upgrade down the road, if you want. Needless to say, if you go with an i7-970, there aren't really any upgrade for you, since the i7-990X is merely a speed bump.

Also to consider: Overclocking a 2600K is much easier, since all you have to do is raise the multiplier, watch the temperatures and possibly bump the core voltage.

As for RAM, the i7-2600K platform supports up to 16GB, which should be plenty enough for the vast majority of users.

In the end, the decision is yours, but considering your needs, I would be inclined to recommend the i7-2600K, considering its superior Photoshop performance, easier overclocking, lower cost and lower power consumption.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM,
(02-28-2011, 08:50 AM)MathieuB Wrote:
(02-27-2011, 10:29 PM)scooby Wrote: please stop this thread... andiron, you clearly do not understand & keep bringing up the same thing after he's answered more & more in depth. i only joined to respond to this one thread, and will never post again. bye

Actually, I like this thread, since it's making me weight the pros and cons of both CPUs, before I start the Workstation updates.

Andiron has valid points and links to references. Can't blame him for doing his research and trying to get the best CPU for his needs. The i7-2600K does have the edge in Photoshop for example.

Andiron: As Andrew pointed out, only in programs that can take advantage of the six cores and twelve threads, does the i7-970 have the edge. In all other cases, the i7-2600K will have the edge.

In your case, if Photoshop is the program that will be the most used, then the i7-2600K would be a better option, not to mention that it's less expensive than the i7-970.

Also, towards the end of the year, Intel will be releasing 6-core Sandybridge CPUs, which will make for a nice upgrade down the road, if you want. Needless to say, if you go with an i7-970, there aren't really any upgrade for you, since the i7-990X is merely a speed bump.

Also to consider: Overclocking a 2600K is much easier, since all you have to do is raise the multiplier, watch the temperatures and possibly bump the core voltage.

As for RAM, the i7-2600K platform supports up to 16GB, which should be plenty enough for the vast majority of users.

In the end, the decision is yours, but considering your needs, I would be inclined to recommend the i7-2600K, considering its superior Photoshop performance, easier overclocking, lower cost and lower power consumption.

Thank you guys. Yeah...was feeling like I was being borderline obnoxious.Blush I re-read your posts more carefully and went back to the comparison tool again and looked at the various tests. Considering what you said before I don't know real world versus just a test. Also, each person may indeed be different. I think I can assume that either processor would be fully capable of performing any task you put it's way...just with different strengths and speeds...yes? Since I'm less knowledgeable about the real world application of these results....I was hoping for the clarification you can provide. I don't know if something rendered in Maya 3D, for example, will take 10 minutes with one and 12 minutes with the other...or if using the tools will take 10 seconds versus 12 seconds....or if were talking even more of a disparity?

Wish I had the time to wait for the 6 core SB....or Bulldozer chip which is supposed to be 8 core-ish! ...but maybe an upgrade is possible!

I'm a research freak from hell...to the point of obsession at times...but didn't mean to be thick headed or disrespectful in any way. I've enjoyed the talk....I'm learning. I appreciate all the information. By the way...I did have one thought during all of this that I find personally amusing. What IF...they had a motherboard that could support two Sandy Bridge processors? LOL Two i7-2600's at the same price as a single i7-970! Tongue

02-28-2011, 04:00 PM,
>LOL Two i7-2600's at the same price as a single i7-970!

I'd just like to point out that it'd be almost twice the power consumption of an i7-970 though, and the extra cost of a dual processor motherboard would make it not worth it.
Your friendly forum administrator.
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM,
Besides, dual-CPU motherboard require server-class CPUs, such as Intel's Xeons or AMD's Opteron, which are way more expensive.

"I think I can assume that either processor would be fully capable of performing any task you put it's way...just with different strengths and speeds...yes?"
Correct.

"Since I'm less knowledgeable about the real world application of these results....I was hoping for the clarification you can provide. I don't know if something rendered in Maya 3D, for example, will take 10 minutes with one and 12 minutes with the other...or if using the tools will take 10 seconds versus 12 seconds....or if were talking even more of a disparity?"
I unfortunately don't have either CPUs on hand to tell you the exact difference, but I would expect less of a disparity actually. The benchmarks that you linked to should give you a good idea of the approximate difference to expect.

"Wish I had the time to wait for the 6 core SB....or Bulldozer chip which is supposed to be 8 core-ish! ...but maybe an upgrade is possible!"
If you go with Sandybridge, the 6-core SB should be a drop-in upgrade, or at worse, require a BIOS update, which is relatively easy to do.

"I'm a research freak from hell...to the point of obsession at times..."
Welcome to my world Tongue Every article involves tons of research hehe Big Grin

"but didn't mean to be thick headed or disrespectful in any way. I've enjoyed the talk....I'm learning."
You didn't come off that way to me, no worries. I also enjoy the discussion and as much as I may know, I always learn more everyday and I enjoy that Smile
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM by andiron.)
(02-28-2011, 04:00 PM)Andrew J Wrote: >LOL Two i7-2600's at the same price as a single i7-970!

I'd just like to point out that it'd be almost twice the power consumption of an i7-970 though, and the extra cost of a dual processor motherboard would make it not worth it.

Makes sense. Probably wouldn't be the smartest way to go! Smile

From what I've learned here...I think (in general) any program that carries very large amounts of information such as more complex 3D rendering or...as in the case of high definition content creation ...would benefit from the extra cores of the i7-970. That much has managed to sink into my brain! LOL

So, my only remaining question is...how much difference in the real world are we talking about with regard to performance? I ask this on two levels...

1. In the short periods of time while utilizing software tools, etc.
2. In the longer term when doing a final rendering of a creation?

A real example here....

If my wife is tasked with creating an educational science game or presentation utilizing any of the more taxing software programs (Like Maya3D) what would the real world difference be between the two processors? Are we talking seconds, minutes, hours...or is this too difficult to answer?

Final final point....I promise! Smile

I asked her just now...what will she be doing over the next few years. Answer: For the next few years...mostly CS5 and Illustrater. After that...at about the two year mark she will be transitioning into the use of Maya 3D, Studio Max3D and ZBrush. (This time frame makes me think that Mathieu's idea of an upgrade to a 6 core Sandy Bridge later on... could make for the perfect plan!)

Edit: Just noticed your response Mathieu. No need for further reply here. I'm very pleased and will sit back and wait for the day to arrive when I can go forward on the build. Can't promise I won't have more questions though....just not about this! LOL

Take it easy!