You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is this Corsair SSD compatible with my system?
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM,
is this Corsair SSD compatible with my system?
So basically my WD 500GB HDD was near full this week, i deleted about 100GB of games i don't play anylonger purchased from Steam, and got to thinking about upgrading my system with a SSD. I know Corsair is a bit more expensive but I do like the brand and have had success with them in the past as you can see from my system build.

This will be my first SSD and i'm wondering;#1 is it compatible with my MOBO, and #2 can I use it simply for my OS along with a few other often used programs (Chrome) (Aiseesoft DVD Ripper(converting my DVD library to thumb drives for use on my rokus)

Here is the specific info on the SSD i'm hoping to purchase.
Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 6Gbps 2.5-Inch SATA 3 Exclusive LAMD LM87800 Synchronous Solid State Drive CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK by Corsair
Link: http://amzn.com/B00B9BDWXG
Desktop: Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 - 1 GB DDR3 RAM: Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS: Windows 7 Professional Storage: Western Digital 500 GB Cooling(CPU): Corsair CWCH60 Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X DVD+/-RW PSU: Corsair GS700 700Watt Network Adapter: TP-LINK WN951N Wireless N300 Adapter Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard Combo Display: Acer S231 HLBbd 23 - Inch widescreen LED Monitor (main), ASUS VH198T 19-Inch Widescreen LED Monitor(2nd)
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM by Rapajez.)
RE: is this Corsair SSD compatible with my system?
#1 - Assuming you have a spare SATA port, it's compatible. You'll need a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket to mount it in your case (unless you have a 2.5 slot or the drive comes with the bracket). Don't forget to grab a SATA cable if you need one.

#2 Yes. More than enough plus room for some games. Windows 7 and those apps will probably take less than 30GB of your drive. (Check out some of the guides here to save SSD space in Windows.)

I'd use the remaining space to put your most-played games on, or the games with the longest loading times (like MMOs). The SSD will drastically improve your games start-up and loading times. You can give Steam more than one location to install games, and it will ask you which location to install to when you get a new game. I have Windows, all apps, 3 "AAA" games, and a load of tiny-sized Indy games on my SSD, and they all take less than 100GB, combined.

Also, most people here would recommend the Samsung 840 series. It honestly won't be much of a noticeable difference whatever you decide, as both drives are leaps and bounds faster than your WD HDD. The 840 is cheaper than the Corsair, or faster if you go with the 840 "Pro". Better software and support from Samsung, IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-120GB-inte...840+series
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround
07-08-2013, 06:45 PM,
Thanks for the reply Rapajez, i'm against Samsung electronics due to some poor quality from them in the past. Also i'm wondering is the clonning software that comes with the drive going to be all i need to clone my OS or will i need additional cables besides the standard SATA and Power?
Desktop: Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 - 1 GB DDR3 RAM: Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS: Windows 7 Professional Storage: Western Digital 500 GB Cooling(CPU): Corsair CWCH60 Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X DVD+/-RW PSU: Corsair GS700 700Watt Network Adapter: TP-LINK WN951N Wireless N300 Adapter Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard Combo Display: Acer S231 HLBbd 23 - Inch widescreen LED Monitor (main), ASUS VH198T 19-Inch Widescreen LED Monitor(2nd)
07-09-2013, 10:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM by Rapajez.)
That Corsair will still serve you well. You'll have to check their site for details on the included software. Usually they'll have a link to download "data migration" software. Also, make sure you install the included SSD firmware update software, and check for updates right away.

It depends on your situation, but you may have an easier time just doing a fresh install of windows. Disconnect the HDD first, install Windows to the SSD, then plug your HDD back in. Delete the extra stuff you don't need on the HDD.

Install Steam on the SSD and go into the options to setup game install locations on both drives. You can actually do a backup of your Steam library to the HDD before you re-install windows, and then reload the backup into Steam. Just to save a lot of download time. Check the Steam menus or Google "Steam backup to drive".

As I mentioned, check out the guides for optimizing space on your SSD. The main thing is going to be moving your My Documents folders, etc to point to the HDD.

You should not need additional cables, assuming you have a standard Sata Adapter and a Sata Power cable. Plus the 2.5 to 3.5 bracket if your drive doesn't include one.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround