You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED Fan Wire Fried and Melted
06-22-2013, 10:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 02:00 PM by gamerDD3.)
Just when you think you know what you are doing, you are quickly reminded how easy it is to mess it all up.

First off, I really liked this site with all the helpful and useful information and how reliable it is on buying quality parts. Thanks. So I decided to use the Mainstream Gaming PC article to build my very first desktop computer. I went to Micro Center and got everything I need and spent 5 hours putting it all together. The moment of truth came as I pressed the power button and watched my hard work come to life. Everything worked perfectly. I have been using it for about a little over a month and no problems.

Then I remembered about the LED fan light, something I just should have forgotten about and learned to live without it. I was so excited and proud that my PC came on and nothing bad happened that I forgot to check out the awesome red LED lights glow in my desktop case. I chose the Cooler Master HAF 922 for my case. I couldn't quite figure out how to get the LED light to turn on so I went online for an answer as I am doing right now. I found a forum and the same question and they said look for a red and black wire in the back of the case. I found the wire on mine and noticed it was way too small to reach the motherboard or power supply so I figured there must be an extension or something in the box that came with it tied up inside the case. I took it out, found 3 extensions, I took one of them and connected it to the other. This wire has a red black and yellow wire with 4 pins sticking out the end in a sort of clear plastic casing surrounding the pins. There was another one on the same wire too. Hopefully, someone will know what I am talking about. I noticed that there is still something missing. I then looked in the power supply pouch to find a cord that looked like it would fit that had the same colored wires. I connected it and plugged it into the power supply. I turned on the PC and it booted up normally like always. Then I pushed the LED Fan light button and watched happily as the red lights came on and then in horror as a bunch of smoke came out of the desktop shortly after. I immediately unplugged everything and switched the power supply off and took a few minutes to open my back door to and grab a towel and blow the smoke out. After that was over, I found the LED Fan (black and red) wire was fried and the plastic over the wire had melted. I am alright. I did not get hurt. A little bit shaky though and there was no fire.

I consider myself an electronics expert. I take precautions and usually am very careful when I am handling something expensive or fragile. I am able to fix certain problems my family can't when they ask for my help. I am saying this so you know that I wasn't careless when I did this if I unknowingly did something wrong without realizing it. So can someone please tell me, what happened and what possibly went wrong? Nothing else seems to be damaged in any way.
It is extremely appreciated of any help you can give me. Thank you very much.

NEW UPDATE!
I turned on my computer and everything seems to be working. My friend told me that I did plug in everything correctly but I may had too much current running through the wire and that I need to strengthen the wire to allow for the change. I don't know how to do that and I am in no hurry to find out, plus I need an entire new wire to connect it. From now on, I am just going to live without the LED. Nothing is fried or appears to be damaged. The only thing that seems to not be working is the port I use to connect my keyboard. I can get into the Windows start screen but I kind of need my keyboard to put in my password. I can't check out anything else until that is done. So I am off to the store to buy another keyboard that has a USB instead of the other one. That is all for now. Thanks for reading!
06-23-2013, 11:12 AM,
I think your PC is fine as the problem sounds like too much current went through the wire to your LED.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: LED Fan Wire Fried and Melted
theres got to be a reason that that led was drawing too much current. the thing that is confusing is why that 2 wire lead from the led fan was in the back of the case unless its the dongle from the front side of the switch?

on that model, there is supposed to be a 2 wire lead from the top of the case from the led light switch that is supposed to connect to a 2 wire lead from the bottom fan led light.

from what it sounds like either the led shorted or one of those leads was pinched and went to ground and causing the smoke. as far as damage, there could be or you might got lucky this time.
06-25-2013, 03:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM by pedwards.)
Speaking as an Electrical Engineering Degree holder (aka have no clue what Im talking about, so take anything I say with a grain of salt), they do rate the cables in the case for a certain safety factor. Now for those led cables the current should be minimal, LEDs act like as a virtual resistor (mostly).

So meaning for your wires to ignite and burn, there must have been a decent amount of juice running through those wires. What would help is to inspect the damaged wires and connectors. What do they look like? All charcoal filaments? Any flashes (smoke wise) on the board? Both black and red burnt, only 1? How does the connector look on the cable itself? This of course assuming everything wasn't thrown away.

Hopefully it was a crimp or short in the wires that caused it. If not it may have been something with the board itself. You are right to forego trying it again as the benefit for now is less than causing another flame out.

However Do not use higher rated cables if it doesn't seem standard. What it could do is transfer more juice than designed and the point of failure just changed from the cable to a circuit board.

Anyway curious if you can provide any details, but not necessary if you call the case closed and its working. Although if a warranty issue comes up on any of your components, might be good to establish root cause.

Good luck.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
06-29-2013, 11:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2013, 11:28 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: LED Fan Wire Fried and Melted
(06-25-2013, 03:29 PM)pedwards Wrote: Speaking as an Electrical Engineering Degree holder (aka have no clue what Im talking about, so take anything I say with a grain of salt), they do rate the cables in the case for a certain safety factor. Now for those led cables the current should be minimal, LEDs act like as a virtual resistor (mostly).

So meaning for your wires to ignite and burn, there must have been a decent amount of juice running through those wires. What would help is to inspect the damaged wires and connectors. What do they look like? All charcoal filaments? Any flashes (smoke wise) on the board? Both black and red burnt, only 1? How does the connector look on the cable itself? This of course assuming everything wasn't thrown away.

Hopefully it was a crimp or short in the wires that caused it. If not it may have been something with the board itself. You are right to forego trying it again as the benefit for now is less than causing another flame out.

However Do not use higher rated cables if it doesn't seem standard. What it could do is transfer more juice than designed and the point of failure just changed from the cable to a circuit board.

Anyway curious if you can provide any details, but not necessary if you call the case closed and its working. Although if a warranty issue comes up on any of your components, might be good to establish root cause.

Good luck.

lol yeah im a BSEE too as well as having a AAS in EET plus enough CISCO, Nortel and telecomm certs to wallpaper my bathroom.

+1 on your comments, if he increases his wire gauge he might have a toaster oven in that case.
07-01-2013, 01:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2013, 02:41 AM by pedwards.)
(06-29-2013, 11:26 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: lol yeah im a BSEE too as well as having a AAS in EET plus enough CISCO, Nortel and telecomm certs to wallpaper my bathroom.

+1 on your comments, if he increases his wire gauge he might have a toaster oven in that case.

My favorite is when my family thinks that means I'm an electrician and requests for some wiring work in the house. "Not only can I setup your PC, but let me look at rewriting your entire basement!"

Meanwhile you may laugh now, but you'll be biting your tongue (or your fingers if you typed it??) when you see Haswell-E toaster ovens on the scene in a few years.

NEW hot pocket cook times - stick in the special warming pouch between your Titans in SLI and 1Amp power filament cables:
Dirt 3: 4m30s
Batman Ark City: 3m10s
Borderlands 2: 2:45s
Skyrim: 30s - note, please pull out as soon as done otherwise you risk charring your meal.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper