You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First build questions
06-20-2013, 03:44 PM,
First build questions
I am switching from a laptop to a gaming build pc. This is the first time I've built a desktop. I just want some build recommendations and suggestions. I have about 1200 to 1800 to spend (preferably cheaper). As I am coming from a laptop I need the monitor, case, mouse, keyboard and headphones. I have a few ideas of what I want on some things. I do know I want it to play wow on the highest settings in 1080p output (I want to use my monitor as my tv.) The rest of what I do is pretty low demand like searching the Internet and watching movies. I know I want this case http://www.xoxide.com/apevia-x-dreamer-4...green.html or something similar (green lighting with temp display, roommates have red and blue and I don't want the same). I know that I want to go have a backlit keyboard and a optical mouse with the wheel and extra buttons for playing. I want to run windows 7 and for the computer to last a few years with upgrades every once in a while. The headset I am probably just going to get a steel series with a retractable mike so I'm not worried about that. The only other things I want is for it to be quiet and kept cool. I'm not interested in over clocking and I would like for it to be able to play other games reasonably well (I may eventually start playing mine craft if the kids wear me down into it). Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
06-24-2013, 01:59 PM,
RE: First build questions
Start with Tier 4 in the Mainstream Gaming PC build on this website. It should give you a crash course in everything you need to know, including alternatives if you want to deviate. Tier 4 should handle WoW no problem, and the Solid State Drive (SSD) will really help cut down on the loading screens, and the slow down you can get in big cities. I'd check reviews on that case, as I've never heard of it. Check out the case section Tier 4 Guide, as it gives you good recommendations, and some things to look for in a good case.

For monitors, I'd just Google "best $200 monitor June 2013", or similar. Most come with HDMI inputs, but you might want to verify they do if you want to use your monitor with you cable box, game console, etc. New Egg usually has a daily-deal on monitors, if you check their daily specials flier. (top left of their home page.) I'd just check reviews for mice/keyboard. Maximum PC usually has a good, up-to-date, round-up.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan X, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd @ 4.5GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Mem: 2x Corsair Dominator 2133MHz 8GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, Case: Corsair Carbide 500R, PSU: Corsair TX850M, CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Case Fans: 4x Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm PWM, Monitors: 3x ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED in NVIDIA Surround