You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LazyTriangle's Build
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM,
LazyTriangle's Build
My main goal for this build its to have a solid gaming computer capable of running any game I throw at it and not at high settings either, I just want to play games without lag. I've been lurking around this site for a good 7-8 months now reading all the articles, seeing all the computer builds, doing tons of research on components, etc. and I have since settled on one I want to build. I decided to go with the Mainstream Tier 4 with a few upgrades, I have never built a computer before this is my first go at it but I'm confident that I can do it, I'm great at following directions.

Intel Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2 mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
G.SKILL 4GB RAM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (x2 in raid 0)
OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD (for booting the OS)
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
CORSAIR CMPSU-750W 80 Plus
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
CPU Cooler (haven't picked one yet)
Memory card reader (can't seem to find a good one)
Windows 7

However I haven't pulled the money together yet, my plan is to buy all the components piece by piece and have it done hopefully if it all goes well by around September/October. So far I have order the case, next week I'm ordering the power supply and RAM then I plan to buy at least one component per month for the following months until I basically have them all.
02-05-2011, 07:16 PM,
RE: LazyTriangle's Build
(02-05-2011, 03:54 PM)LazyTriangle Wrote: My main goal for this build its to have a solid gaming computer capable of running any game I throw at it and not at high settings either, I just want to play games without lag. I've been lurking around this site for a good 7-8 months now reading all the articles, seeing all the computer builds, doing tons of research on components, etc. and I have since settled on one I want to build. I decided to go with the Mainstream Tier 4 with a few upgrades, I have never built a computer before this is my first go at it but I'm confident that I can do it, I'm great at following directions.

Intel Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2 mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
G.SKILL 4GB RAM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (x2 in raid 0)
OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD (for booting the OS)
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
CORSAIR CMPSU-750W 80 Plus
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
CPU Cooler (haven't picked one yet)
Memory card reader (can't seem to find a good one)
Windows 7

However I haven't pulled the money together yet, my plan is to buy all the components piece by piece and have it done hopefully if it all goes well by around September/October. So far I have order the case, next week I'm ordering the power supply and RAM then I plan to buy at least one component per month for the following months until I basically have them all.

I would suggest that you NOT buy it piece by piece.

For example, with me my motherboard was bad. If I had bought it and waited a few months, then tested it, it would have been too late for me to return to newegg. Newegg and other retailers usually give you one month to return your items (in case item is damaged during shipping, defective, etc.). You might get away with Power Supply Unit, Case, etc., but I would wait to get the Cpu, motherboard, ram, at the same time, and test it all as quickly as possible. So that way if you have an issue, you can straighten it out through newegg.

Also there is always new technology coming out, and by waiting till you are ready you can (hopefully) get the best price.
On the other hand now MAY be a good time to get ram (because it's extremely cheap at the moment). However by October/November AMD's Bulldozer CPU should be out and you may find it more prudent to go that route instead of Intel i5 2500K. Also, by that time the GTX 560 should be lower in price, and that is a BEAST of a card. Also, by that time the new AMD/NVIDIA card should be about to drop as well.

It is up to you, however, this is just some basic advice.
02-05-2011, 08:04 PM,
good points thanks for the input, I was planning to buy the CPU & motherboard together as my last purchase and now I'm thinking I should do the same for the video card and try to get a good price on it or maybe get a GTX 560 as they are likely to drop in price in the coming months. I want to get the RAM right away though because like you said they are extremely cheap at the moment

AMD's Bulldozer seems tempting but I bet it will more expensive than my current Intel i5 & H67 build and I am trying to keep this under $1000 (not including tax, shipping, monitor, etc.)
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM,
I needed a media reader, as well, since I'm ALWAYS uploading pictures... I went with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820339001 and it's worked beautifully. No issues at all. One annoying LED stays on all of the time, but it's nothing that a dab from a black paint marker didn't fix.
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz O/C to 4.20GHz ~ ASUS P7P55D-E Pro MoBo ~ G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (4 x 4GB) ~ CM HAF 922 Case ~ 2X Radeon HD 6850 1GB in Crossfire ~ Sandisk 256GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ Sandisk 120GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ A-DATA 64GB SATA II SSD ~ 2X Western Digital 3 TB ~ 2X Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint ~ Corsair 750W Power Supply ~ CM Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler ~ 2x Acer H243H 24" 2ms 24" LCD >>>> 7.7 Windows Score <<<< Highest Stable O/C Score
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM,
(02-05-2011, 08:04 PM)LazyTriangle Wrote: AMD's Bulldozer seems tempting but I bet it will more expensive than my current Intel i5 & H67 build and I am trying to keep this under $1000 (not including tax, shipping, monitor, etc.)

It's hard to say until we know how well Bulldozer will perform. Performance usually influence price a lot. AMD CPUs/motherboards tend to cost less than Intel ones, on average, for the same performance/features.

+1 to buying all your essential parts at the same time, for reasons already mentionned and also because you'll most likely get better prices, since there are new parts coming out pretty much every month, driving down prices of older parts.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
02-08-2011, 09:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM by LazyTriangle.)
You guys do make an excellent point, I don't want to buy parts only to find out later that they are defective or broken so I have decided to hold on until I've saved up enough money to order all the parts at once. Maybe by then the new Z68 motherboard will have come out and we'll know more about Bulldozer performance and pricing

For now in the next couple of months I'll be getting a new monitor, keyboard + mouse so that I will be ready to go when I build my new pc.
I've been keeping my eye on these two for awhile (G110, Samsung 24" LCD) now I got to figure out which mouse to get
02-09-2011, 12:52 AM,
If you're willing to risk buying an open box item, newegg has a sweet deal on that monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
Beast Mode Engaged! CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.62Ghz 1.25v Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula Ram: 12GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1574Mhz GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire PSU: Corsair TX950W Optical: Lite-On DVDrw HDD: 2x Samsung F3 500GB in Raid 0 Case: CM HAF 932 See it here!