You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this safe?
05-04-2013, 03:44 PM,
Is this safe?
So I've seen places that so long as the cables aren't so think that they're being pinched (which would puncture the coating) it's ok to tuck thin cables between the motherboard and the motherboard tray.

I have a build that's pretty simple to begin with, but I decided to try and clean it up even more (it's my backup build that I use to show parts to students), and realized doing this would remove most of the case cables from sight...

Thoughts?

[Image: IMAG0057_zpse977bc7d.jpg]
(As an aside, does anyone know why there are those long grooves on the tray behind the mobo? My initial thought was they were intended for tiny wires like these, but the clearance reduces well before you get to the end of even this small of a mATX board... It's it meant for cooling?)

[Image: IMAG0058_zps19f49ffc.jpg]
(Same image, but perspective is to show the clearance between the board and the tray.)

The build's at my school right now, so I don't have a picture of what it looks like from the front at the moment... I'll include one later on. (It's REALLY simple)

Thanks!!
05-04-2013, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Is this safe?
the bad thing is running it under the board like that without shrink tubing is that those sharp solderjoints could pierce the conductor insulation due to vibration. i would at least tape any that might come in contact with solder joints. as long as there is no pinch points or rub contact shouldnt be a problem.

the way i normally lead dress a new machine is to modify the case and make my own cable routing cutouts. a whole saw or step bit works nicely, then insulate it with an appropriate siz rubber grommet easily found at an electrical supply or hardware store. it beats buying a more expensive case that already has the cutouts.

not sure about the long slots you are referring too from the pic.

good luck
05-05-2013, 10:47 AM,
I never would have thought of the grommets, which is just genius. I'll be rebuilding this computer with students again sometime in the next 2 weeks, so I could probably do this. I'll let you know if I do, and how it turns out.

In case that doesn't happen though, when you say "tape any that might come in contact with solder joints," do you mean tape down to the tray, or wrap in electrical tape?

As for the grooves I'm talking about, see this pic, where they've been circled.
[Image: IMAG0057-2_zpsf245526d.jpg]
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM,
I think those grooves are for increasing the sturdiness.
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM by PwnBroker.)
yes like sasikanth8 said, gives strength to the mb mounts and surface tension relief for the stamping press when it was manufactured. keeps the part from getting stuck in the press.

yes wrap something around the leads, or those sharp solder points will cut into them.

good luck