You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Range Workstation build (First Build)
04-29-2013, 10:20 PM,
Hello fellow forumers.

I'm working on putting together a mid-range workstation PC with the intent of working with the Adobe software suite (Video and Hi-res images) as well as some work with Zbrush and additional rendering software. I started by going through the mainstream workstation guide on this site and would like for some additional input on the list of components I've put together. Specifically concerning the compatibility of the components(sufficient power supply, case size, etc.) as well as a few questions on using a SSD as the boot drive with a traditional HDD for storage.

This is the very first computer I've put together so I'm still learning a few things.

So here is my part list so far:

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000 by PNY 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Gen 2 x16 DVI-I DL

Main Question area
SSD: Plextor PX-128M3S 128 GB M3S SATA 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002 x2 for RAID set-up

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i30 Extreme CPU Cooler - Intel, 320W Ultimate Cooling Power, Direct-Touch Heatpipes

Drive/Burner: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive

Power Supply: : FSP Group AURUM GOLD 500W (AU-500) ATX12V /EPS 12V 80PLUS GOLD Certified

Case: Corsair Graphite Series Black 600T Mid-Tower

I'd also like to ask if there are any specific tools besides screwdrivers an hex bits I would need for the project.

I appreciate any advice or feedback.

Thanks
04-30-2013, 09:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM by mwhals.)
While Plextor is good, think about getting a Samsung 840 Pro SSD which is faster.

Also, Western Digital hard drives are more reliable than Seagate, so I would recommend a change there.

You might also consider 32 GB of RAM in my opinion. You can never have too much. I went with 64 GB and love it.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
04-30-2013, 10:07 PM,
RE: Mid-Range Workstation build (First Build)
A 500 Watt PSU seems a bit low to me, especially if you might want to expand the system in the future...
Have you checked out what your needs are on the Power Supply Calculator mentioned around the site?:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

+1 on Samsung SSD and WD hard drives

Also, from what I know about workstation builds, do consider the 32GB, or even 64 (the max your mobo can support), but to start you could go with the just 4x4GB kit if budget is an issue, and add in another 16 or 32 GB down the road in the remaining 4 slots...
05-02-2013, 11:20 PM,
@mwhals and fillasophy,

Thanks for the responses. I did look into the Samsung 840 Series SSD and it does seem to be a better fit, plus I also found it on sale for a reasonable price. I also took your advice on going with the WD hard drives as well. I also had enough budget to go with 32Gb of RAM (can't quite afford 64Gb but eventually that's my plan).

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000)
(I saw that going with the 4 sticks would allow for more expansion later on.)

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000 by PNY 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Gen 2 x16 DVI-I DL

Main Question area
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
(Thanks for the advice)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive x2 for RAID1 set up

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i30 Extreme CPU Cooler - Intel, 320W Ultimate Cooling Power, Direct-Touch Heatpipes

Drive/Burner: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC
(I'm still not 100% sure I understand everything with the power supply calculator but I think this should cover the build if I read correctly, though feel free to correct if I'm wrong. Last reading was at 547W [without adding the additional 100W suggested on this site.])

Case: Corsair Graphite Series Black 600T Mid-Tower

The only additional questions I have now concern the validity of my part list, specifically a more experienced look or advice that these parts will fit together.

I also had a question on if there is any additional tools or items I should have on hand when I actually begin putting the pc together.

Thanks.
05-03-2013, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM by fillasophy.)
As far as I can tell part agreement looks good...

For the power supply calculator, the settings that Mathieu suggests can be found right below the PSU section of the budget build (at least that's where I know it is): http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budge...-v3-6/#PSU

I did a run at it with your specs, and I'm getting around 480. I don't think that builder really allows for the simple style of enclosed-system water pumps (or at least I can't figure out how to correctly put them in), so that always throws me off... Either way, that's a nice looking 650W for this build, and should pull its weight nicely, although there are a few reviews on it that are somewhat concerning.... I'll let/hope someone else will comment on that.

You'll need screwdrivers of course, including a few small ones. I like having a few magnetic bowls around so that your screws don't go everywhere, but honestly builds are really easy, so you don't need much. Just don't forget to plug in the CPU 4 or 8-pin connector like I did for my first build...lol
05-03-2013, 05:13 AM,
Re: Mid-Range Workstation build (First Build)
That seems to be the main things that "goes wrong" lol. It seems to always be that dang connector that people forget. ;-)

Sent from my rooted evo 4g using Tapatalk.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM by mwhals.)
I recommend you look at WD red drives instead of the blue drives if you are going with a Raid 1.

As to the PSU, I put a 650 watt PSU in my 64 GB of RAM 3930k build.

A professional workstation video card runs lower power than a gaming card, so a 650 should be the max size you would need. A 550 watt PSU should be the minimum. Your selection of PSU is the same one I put in my system and I highly recommend it.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
05-03-2013, 08:15 AM,
(05-03-2013, 08:05 AM)mwhals Wrote: I recommend you look at WD red drives instead of the blue drives if you are going with a Raid 1.

Totally didn't catch that it was for Raid - good eyes. +1 for the red drives.
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM,
(05-03-2013, 08:05 AM)mwhals Wrote: I recommend you look at WD red drives instead of the blue drives if you are going with a Raid 1.

A professional workstation video card runs lower power than a gaming card, so a 650 should be the max size you would need. A 550 watt PSU should be the minimum. Your selection of PSU is the same one I put in my system and I highly recommend it.

What's the difference between the Red and Blue versions? So far all I've seen is that the Red are preferable for NAS (Network Attached Storage), which means a connection from the PC to the HDD with a LAN connection for faster transfer speeds. Is there any other advantages of the Red over the Blue?
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM by PwnBroker.)
(05-03-2013, 10:28 AM)bowmanARC Wrote:

What's the difference between the Red and Blue versions? So far all I've seen is that the Red are preferable for NAS (Network Attached Storage), which means a connection from the PC to the HDD with a LAN connection for faster transfer speeds. Is there any other advantages of the Red over the Blue?

other than the firmware and lower power, the biggest main difference is TLER. this is error recovery control. in a RAID situation if a disk in the array encounters a sector error it will kick out that disk from the array, so to speak, with TLER. without TLER, the drive would try to repair the bad sector and recover and this would cause an entire array to fail more than likely.

the blue has error recovery enabled, which is not what you want in a RAID array config but in a single disk desktop. but then again, sector failure is fairly rare and recovering data from a failed sector is even more rare. thats why in my opinion, even with single disk storage the 2gig and 3 gig RED drives are just as good in a desktop environment.