You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OS question
04-21-2013, 02:26 PM,
OS question
So far I've finished my build with a PC but since I'm short of an OS would it be possible to download linux to be my primary OS for now and replace it later or should i just wait a month or so to get Windows 7.
04-21-2013, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM by fillasophy.)
RE: OS question
Nice! Where are the pics? Smile

Yes, you can use Linux now and then install Windows later. Probably the best way would be to use the computer limitedly for now, copy all important documents to a thumb drive, then reformat the hard drive to start fresh with Windows. I did that for a Win7 to Win8 install recently, and worked great. I would note that the comment I made on your last thread is still valid - Win8 is a cheaper alternative now for what you get, so long as you're not planing on running windows media center. Win8 has a bunch of quirks to work through, but if you can get past those it's a lot faster. Does seem to not run Firefox quite as well for some reason, though...

Ultimately I'd say it depends on what you want to do. For web browsing, Linux builds can run well, but the inability to run windows executable files means a lot of your programs won't install. You can find substitutes, like LibreOffice as a sub for Microsoft Office, but what I found really annoying was that even if I saved a word processor document as a .doc file, it didn't quite convert correctly if I opened that file up on a Windows platform.

Good luck!
04-21-2013, 05:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM by CallmehEric.)
(04-21-2013, 03:46 PM)fillasophy Wrote: Nice! Where are the pics? Smile

Yes, you can use Linux now and then install Windows later. Probably the best way would be to use the computer limitedly for now, copy all important documents to a thumb drive, then reformat the hard drive to start fresh with Windows. I did that for a Win7 to Win8 install recently, and worked great. I would note that the comment I made on your last thread is still valid - Win8 is a cheaper alternative now for what you get, so long as you're not planing on running windows media center. Win8 has a bunch of quirks to work through, but if you can get past those it's a lot faster. Does seem to not run Firefox quite as well for some reason, though...

Ultimately I'd say it depends on what you want to do. For web browsing, Linux builds can run well, but the inability to run windows executable files means a lot of your programs won't install. You can find substitutes, like LibreOffice as a sub for Microsoft Office, but what I found really annoying was that even if I saved a word processor document as a .doc file, it didn't quite convert correctly if I opened that file up on a Windows platform.

Good luck!

Edit: windows 7 just arrived but its asking for a drivers to control my HDD with but i can't get it to work btw im using the seagate barracuda can that be the issue since i've read about this being an issue. It says "The [Intel® 7 Series/c216 Chipset family sata ahci controller (D:\AMD64\ Win8-64_Win7-64_Intel_11.6.0.1030\iaAHCIC.inf)] device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated driver."

EDIT EDIT: Turns out that copy of Windows 7 is counterfeit looks like i still need help running PC games off ubuntu 12.10
PS here's my pc, albeit with terrible cable management

[img][Image: 280pk05.jpg][/img]
04-22-2013, 01:11 AM,
Most likely you won't be able to get your games to work well, if at all, on Ubuntu. You could try Wine (a program that tries running Windows executables on Linux), but it's only so-so. If you're using Steam, see if the game you are looking at has a Linux version. If not, wait for that Windows to come...
04-22-2013, 05:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM by CallmehEric.)
aww thought so... so now since i'm back to deciding between windows 7 and windows 8; which one should i get also is there an installation difference between OEM and retail?
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM by mwhals.)
OS question
No difference between OEM and retail when installing. The only difference is in the license. I use Windows 8 and it works very well. It ultimately comes down to whether you want a start button (Windows 7) or a start screen (Windows 8).
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
04-22-2013, 07:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM by CallmehEric.)
umm sorry for the nooby question but isn't there no difference after i enter the start screen and close it
EDIT: Thanks for all the help guys it turns out since i bough the files online it was an issue due to a corrupted file so it caused that issue. 3 DVD discs and hours later... i got it to start installing
04-22-2013, 08:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM by fillasophy.)
Yea, they install the same.

I have both, and most of the following is from personal experience, and is supported from some online readings. Here's a rundown of the big differences between Win7 OEM, Win7 retail, Win8 OEM, and Win8 retail (at least that I know of):
(Ps - Prices are listed as "Newegg price"/"TigerDirect price", but doesn't look at shipping... You should check Amazon too...)

Win7 OEM:
$100/$92 (Home 64-bit)
CanNOT transfer license to another computer
Windows Media Center comes standard
NO Microsoft support for software issues
Most/all games should work
Better received

Win7 Retail:
$200/none(?) (Home, comes with 64bit and 32bit discs)
Can transfer license to another computer
Windows Media Center comes standard
Microsoft will provide support for software issues
Most/all games should work
Better received

Win8 OEM:
$100/$90 (Non-Pro 64-bit)
Windows Media Center NOT Standard (requires Pro + Media upgrade)
NO Microsoft support for software issues
Some game compatibility issues
Faster (eg: booting is QUICK, even without an SSD)

Win8 Retail:
(I can't seem to find retail online....)
Windows Media Center NOT Standard (requires Pro + Media upgrade)
Microsoft will provide support for software issues
Some game compatibility issues
Faster

Win7 has all programs/panels findable in a start button that defaults to the lower left corner. That button is missing on Win8. Instead, they went with a start screen (the default opening screen) and a different menu configuration that can be confusing at first. Is that what you mean?
04-22-2013, 08:03 PM,
win7 oem, can only install on 1 machine, full retail version-can be installed on more than 1 machine(not at the same time).

win8 changed with the liscensing, you can get an oem system builders version with a personal use liscense that can be installed up to 5 times.

there may be some features that some users will like win8. as far as the start button, rumor has it that it may be coming to win8, but you can always use the windows+ keys to navigate fairly easily. if you have some older games or software i would google and see if they will run in win8.
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM,
Okay so i just went out and bought Windows 7 but so far I'm running into an issue that says " A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash driver, please insert it now."