You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First ever computer build
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM,
First ever computer build
I have always been a DIYer type, and after reading information from this website while never attempting anything on a computer or being much of a computer guy Ive decided to do my own build. Parts should be here tomorrow, so I figured I would start the thread. My only current issue right now is that I went Sandy bridge i5-2500 and happened to order 2 days too soon. However, I am still going to install and just use the 0/1 sata ports for now until I can get an updated mobo unit. Anyways, here are the deatils of the build most of which are from what Mathieu has suggested(I plan to add another 6850 in the future, even though a single card is fine for what I need):

i5-2500 processor
MSI P67A-GD65 P67 LGA1155 Motherboard
SAMSUNG F3 1TB SATA III hardrive
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video card(single for now)
ZALMAN CNPS10X PERFORMA cpu cooler
G.SKILL 4Gx2(8gb) RAM
CORSAIR -750TX 750W power supply
Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Windows 7

For practice I took apart my old desktop and put it back together just to see if I was capable. This is much newer technology but Im still hoping I can figure it out and for a smooth build. I still need to get an anti static strap and the thermal compound, but Ill get that tonight from a local PC store. Here's to a new hobby! Wish me luck. I may be back in here with some questions and pictures, but lets hope I can figure it out by myself.
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM,
RE: First ever computer build
Yeah for sure let us know if you have any questions Smile. Make sure to take pictures when you are building it so we the people can ogle it Wink
02-02-2011, 07:10 PM,
Sweet! Let us know how it all works out for you, and hope you'll have fun putting it all together! That first boot and the satisfaction of building your own PC is well worth it. Smile
Case: Antec Illusion 300 l Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro l CPU: i7-870 Quad Core l Cooling: Corsair H50 - 3x120mm - 1x140mm l RAM: 4 GB G.Skill l GPU: MSI GTX 460 Hawk l Sound: Integrated l Storage: 1 TB HDD l PSU: Seasonic 620W l Monitor: ASUS 21.5" 1080p l Keyboard: Logitech G110 l Mouse: Logitech M705 l Speakers: Logitech S-220

Late '09 Unibody MacBook - Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM,
Actually just was thinking and came up with a question. Since I have the sandy bridge issue, will I have to reformat windows 7 when I swap out for the new motherboard even though it will be the same thing but with the non failing sata ports? Ive never had to reformat a computer before. I wouldnt need another license of windows would I?

Also, thanks for the support. I'll definately throw up some pictures once I'm all done, and definately before if I get confused.
02-02-2011, 08:46 PM,
Most likely not, because you're just changing the motherboard and not the CPU as well.
Your friendly forum administrator.
02-04-2011, 01:06 AM,
Ok, the build is going great and I wasnt able to start until later than I thought tonight. Almost dont with the build, except for the fact that I forgot to purchase/order a dvd drive in all the excitement and I cant install any of my drivers until I buy on tomorrow.

My only real question as of right now is regarding my video card connection to the power supply. It has a plug for power, and it came with a connection/adapter that goes into that plug, but then has 2 connections from the power supply. My old set up that I didnt build is using tha additional adapter and has both connections connected to the power supply. Do I need to do the same thing for my single video card right now? Or do I not need the adapter for 2 connections? Or is it fine either way directly to the power supply or the adapter and 2 connections?
02-04-2011, 06:42 AM,
Your power supply should have two 6 pin connectors so you don't need that adapter, that's only for legacy power supplies with one 6 pin.
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM,
Woohoo, booted up on the first try. All fans are working, leds are working, everything. A little louder than my last computer, but I think it's mostly the zalman CPU cooler from what I can tell. Not that big of a deal considering it has an important job of keeping the CPU cool.

Currently installing windows right now, and then I need to update the drivers, and install the othe basics like anti virus and games. Ill get pictures up later today!!
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM,
Awesome! Care to share some pictures?
02-07-2011, 10:26 PM,
Sorry for the slow post and crappy cell phone pictures, but I got busy enjoying the new machine and forgot to update. Runs like a champ and no issues at all. Here are the picture I took. This is when I first fired it up and it's now under the desk and a little platform off the carpet. BTW, this case keps things cool. including me when Im sitting next to it, and Im always hot!

[Image: 395040446.jpg]

[Image: 395040444.jpg]

[Image: 395040447.jpg]

[Image: 395040449.jpg]

Always want to iv a thanks to hardware-revolution, this place gave me all the information I need to build a better computer for less mony than what I could have gotten pre-built!!!