You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming PC advice?
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM,
Gaming PC advice?
I want a decent gaming PC that is reasonable. Currently I want a tier 1; but since its kinda pricey which parts of it would be okay to skimp out on? Also would there be any large benefit of buying a quad core processor such as the i5-3350P over the i3 3220? Next, how would i know if my PC is being cooled down sufficiently? Is Windows 8 really that good compared to Windows 7, and in this case OEM or retail? Also would getting a cheaper case really hurt me? Finally, how hard would assembling a PC be since I have no experience with building PC's before. Huh
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM,
Wink  RE: Gaming PC advice?
I will let others answer the CPU question but will offer this: building the computer is relatively easy and super rewarding! I too was new to it and was able to ask questions on this forum and recieve quick answers and was surprised how well it went. There is a great feeling when you click that button and the machine comes to life. As far as cooling goes-at a minimum one fan low in front to draw cool air in and one in the rear top (back panel or out of the top) to draw hot air out should suffice for a basic build- that said, fans are inexpensive to add if you are not sure. A download program CPUID HWMonitor will measure your temps, fan loads and voltage on both the CPU and graphics card so you can see if your system is cool enough. The case is only important regarding the fan locations and ease of build. Any of the recommended cases in the tier 1 article should be fine. Look at some other posts and note how they suggest all the parts- research what you are thinking about and ask questions (ie-best performance in a price range?, alternatives?, what size power supply? etc.) and I think most members here will give great feedback and advice. Good Luck!
04-07-2013, 10:13 PM,
RE: Gaming PC advice?
Welcome!
Quite honestly, this is about as "skimped" as you can get (take a look at the high-end listings and you'll see what I mean). For the most part Mathieu has done the best he can for bang for the buck, so this is about as cheap as you can go for a quality build with that level of performance. Any sacrifices are basically sacrifices in performance. Instead, I'd focus on trying to find deals on sites like newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or amazon.com - you may need to make a sacrifice or two, or wait a month or so, but you can find deals fairly regularly. That, or save up for a bit longer before buying.

Giving the forum a listing of the games you want to play will help get a better idea of your needs.

Skimping will make the PC perform lower than you may want (eg: skimp on the graphics card) or could cause serious damage to your system (eg: cheap power supplies). If you do reduce anything, you will need at least 4GB of RAM for most games + Windows to run smoothly so that's off limits, and DO NOT SKIMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY, unless you want to make a $400 paper weight.

I'm not technically inclined to answer the question about the quad core, but if you're trying to go super budget, that might be something you'll have to sacrifice...

As for the level of cooling, some (most?) motherboards come with or can facilitate utilities that will give you detailed readouts of the temps, as well as fan speeds, and clock speeds for the CPU and RAM.

If you're going Win8 I'd personally go OEM, if Win7 I'd go retail - I prioritize the ability to transfer the OS if needed, and Win7 OEM wasn't allowed to transfer systems, while Win8 OEM is now. Win8 is a little faster, uses a bit less power, works nicely on touch interfaces, and is of course the newest OS. Some games perform better in Win8, while others have issues with Win8 (eg: I just discovered my Darksiders from Steam doesn't like 8 too much... Sad ) Outside of that, it's really about preference for style - I suggest going into a store to try it out for at least 20 - 30 minutes to try and figure it out a bit. I recently did so and ended up getting a copy of 8 for a build - it takes a little getting used to but for the most part is similar in many ways. Also, I'd go Win8 OEM since you're on a budget. Also, keep in mind that all builds listed include NO OS or software - figure if you want Windows, add $100 at least.

Cases are about 3 things: cooling/airflow, space, and style (and to a degree, cable management as a fourth). You can of course go cheaper if you don't mind looks, and there are plenty of cases at different sizes, but the best cases help keep your hardware cool by offering vents, and sometimes coming with extra fans. This is probably the #1 place you could save a few bucks, but you want to make sure the case won't overheat - read reviews on purchasing sites to see what people have said. And again, look for deals (there was a decent case that was $10 plus $15 shipping on tigerdirect.com a few days ago that would have fit your needs, for example).

As for assembling a PC, it's not that hard. It's a bit scary with some parts that require a bit of pressure to fit in place, and sometimes you'll forget to connect some things (I did for my first one Smile ) but you pick it up fast. For help, check some of the (awesome!) HR links on this page:
http://www.hardware-revolution.com/compu...-first-pc/
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM,
Okay thanks guys, but to be more specific;here's the parts I'm planning on running

CPU: Intelcore i3 3220
Mother Board: AS Rock 275 Pro 3LGA 1155 275 ATX
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1.65v DDR3 1866MHz
Storage WD: 500 GB
Optical Drive: LG SATA 22x DVD Burner
Power Supply: Antec VP-450W
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower w/ 2 120mm fans
Cooling: Cooler Master R4 Series silent 140mm fan
Networking: Rosewill 802.11 b/g/n 300 mbps wireless

Would I be able to run demanding games such as arma III, BF3, GTA IV, Skyrim, etc. all on high or better?
04-08-2013, 02:19 PM,
What's the resolution of the screen that you intend to use? We need to know that to tell you whether your potential build can run said games at high or better or not.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM by CallmehEric.)
My monitor is able to go up to 1320 x 768/720P
04-08-2013, 06:39 PM,
Ps - that case I mentioned is still only $10, although like I said, the cooling doesn't look great, but should work for Tier 1 or lower:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...etargeting
04-08-2013, 06:51 PM,
If i were to upgrade in the future, would there be any issue? I do want to get a tier 2 CPU. Oh and which motherboard would be good for a tier 1 since the current recommended motherboard is out of stock everywhere. Angry
04-08-2013, 10:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013, 10:47 PM by fillasophy.)
As far as upgrading with that case in the future? Again, it doesn't look like the best ventilated case, so if you're a heavy user it might not be the greatest, but should work. As an alternative that looks better ventilated, plus pretty blue lights, you could consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811119227
You should probably buy at least one more fan, plus they don't charge for shipping (but do charge tax on newegg) so it's about $10 more expensive than the other one. For another $10 (no rebate, which is a plus depending if you don't like waiting for those) you could consider the updated model, which has USB 3.0 ports on the front. In general just start looking for cases, and you want one that is in your price range, and where:
_____FAN_______________
F.......___...........................|
A......|.\.............................|
N..........\...........................|
|.............A........................|
|................I......................|
|...................R..................|
|.......................F...............F
|..........................L...........A
|.............................OW.....N
==================

As for the motherboard, you could go for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157362
which as far as I can tell is the same board (but $3 less), but you lose the PCIe x1 port in exchange for a standard PCI port, which might actually be a good thing depending on what you intend to add for internal peripherals, if you'll even have any as you won't have a second graphics card for this anyway.

If you're talking about general upgrades, I'd heard that the 1155 socket is supposed to end on the current general ivy bridges, so you may have issues with that if later than a year or so from now, but you should be able to upgrade the CPU to an i3/i5/i7, as well as bump the RAM and graphics if you want later
04-09-2013, 06:56 AM,
dont know about arma3 yet, but the way they talked at the beginning, it would take a minimum of a 4 core cpu and not a very demanding gpu.

bf3-yes up to 1080p on high. it some large multiplayer maps you might have to bump down to medium settings. multiplayer on this game makes use of high cpu utilization no matter of what the details are set.

skyrim-yes

grand theft auto-never played it on pc only xbox, so i dont really know what to expect.