You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new computer build - two ram slots turning computer off
03-31-2013, 07:52 PM,
new computer build - two ram slots turning computer off
I built a new computer and I'm having issues with two of the ram slots. A1 and a2 in particular. Whenever I put ram in either slots, when I start it up, I get three fast beeps and turns off the computer. It turns on by itself 3 seconds later and repeats. B1 and b2 slots are fine and turn on perfectly.

So my question I want to ask is, are the two first slots bad? Do I need to rma the motherboard? I am only using to ram sticks, so I wouldn't really care. But I can run the sticks in a1 and b1 for better speeds(forgot what it's called, too tired). Are there any solutions to fix this or do I need an rma the board. I'd really hate to get it rma'd because my customer wants the computer asap.

It's a i5 3570k, gskill 2x4gb ram, 1tb hdd, asrock z75 pro3 motherboard, with Rose will hive 750w psu
04-01-2013, 10:20 AM,
RE: new computer build - two ram slots turning computer off
first thing id check is the bios build and make sure you at least have the build that updated ivy bridge compatibility. if not update to latest.

there seem to have been other builders having the same problem and some have fixed with a cpu reseat. if the cpu is not seated flat, will cause this same problem. as a last ditch effort, id inspect the cpu pins as well.

if the above and memory tests good, probably the MB.

good luck
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM,
(03-31-2013, 07:52 PM)joshlete Wrote: I built a new computer and I'm having issues with two of the ram slots. A1 and a2 in particular. Whenever I put ram in either slots, when I start it up, I get three fast beeps and turns off the computer. It turns on by itself 3 seconds later and repeats. B1 and b2 slots are fine and turn on perfectly.

So my question I want to ask is, are the two first slots bad? Do I need to rma the motherboard? I am only using to ram sticks, so I wouldn't really care. But I can run the sticks in a1 and b1 for better speeds(forgot what it's called, too tired). Are there any solutions to fix this or do I need an rma the board. I'd really hate to get it rma'd because my customer wants the computer asap.

It's a i5 3570k, gskill 2x4gb ram, 1tb hdd, asrock z75 pro3 motherboard, with Rose will hive 750w psu

Found the below from Page 20 of your motherboard manual:

"1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.
2. If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
in the DDR3 DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to activate
Dual Channel Memory Technology.
3. If a pair of memory modules is NOT installed in the same Dual
Channel, for example, installing a pair of memory modules in
DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2, it is unable to activate Dual Channel
Memory Technology."

Cheers
Gaming PC: CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz(stock) Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3-1600MHZ Video Card: Gigabyte ATI HD7870 2GB GDDR5 Storage: 1x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 Series & 1x Western Digital Red 2TB Optical Drive: LG Blue Ray Case: Corsair Carbide 400R PSU: Antec HCG-750 750W Audio: Asus Xonar DGX Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech MX-518 Speakers: Creative Inspire T3130 Monitor: LG E2742V-BN 27"
04-01-2013, 10:29 PM,
Good catch. That would explain the issue.

+2 rep Smile
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-02-2013, 04:48 AM,
This may well just be for my own understanding, but wouldn't dual channel just be something supported, not required, in which case/more over why would the RAM being in both of the A slots cause a critical issue, yet (from the OP it sounds like) it's not an issue if in both of the B slots? I've always used dual channel, so I wouldn't know...
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM by PwnBroker.)
lol, yeah he is not having trouble running them dual channel in A1, B1 as per his post. but i wonder if he was trying a single stick in those two slots or trying both sticks in single channel mode. a single stick should post fine, if 2 sticks in single channel mode, yeah sometimes it can get flaky.

if this is going out to a customer id populate the other 2 slots with memory to make sure they are working and allocated as dual channel as well.

good luck
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM by MathieuB.)
(04-02-2013, 04:48 AM)fillasophy Wrote: This may well just be for my own understanding, but wouldn't dual channel just be something supported, not required, in which case/more over why would the RAM being in both of the A slots cause a critical issue, yet (from the OP it sounds like) it's not an issue if in both of the B slots? I've always used dual channel, so I wouldn't know...

In theory, yes. However, in the real world, some motherboards are particularly picky about RAM and in which slots it's installed. Besides, you want dual-channel, you get twice the bandwidth thus higher performance.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM by joshlete.)
Don't think you guys understand (or I didn't understand what you wrote). Any ram that is put in A1 or A2 slots, will beep 3 times quickly, shut off, then turn back on repeatedly. I also tried my ram from my computer and the same issue occurs (they are both Gskill, but different series). The only way for me to have the computer start up properly is to install the ram in slots B1 and B2. Therefore I cannot run in dual-channel. To me, it seems like slot A's are damaged.

So any ram in slots A1 and/or in A2 will not run the computer properly and slots B1 and/or B2 will run the computer properly. Regardless if there is 1 ram card installed or two ram cards installed in only A slots, it gives me issues. But with B slots, I can have one or both slots filled and it works properly.
04-02-2013, 07:34 PM,
That's what I thought you were saying (although it maybe wasn't perfectly clear). Regardless, I'm afraid short of saying that it's RMA time, I can't be of any help. You might try the CPU reseat that PwnBroker mentioned, but I'm guessing you'll probably want a new board. As an option, to save time, ask the buyer if they'd be ok without dual channels and/or give them a discount??
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM,
(04-02-2013, 06:03 PM)joshlete Wrote: Don't think you guys understand (or I didn't understand what you wrote). Any ram that is put in A1 or A2 slots, will beep 3 times quickly, shut off, then turn back on repeatedly. I also tried my ram from my computer and the same issue occurs (they are both Gskill, but different series). The only way for me to have the computer start up properly is to install the ram in slots B1 and B2. Therefore I cannot run in dual-channel. To me, it seems like slot A's are damaged.

So any ram in slots A1 and/or in A2 will not run the computer properly and slots B1 and/or B2 will run the computer properly. Regardless if there is 1 ram card installed or two ram cards installed in only A slots, it gives me issues. But with B slots, I can have one or both slots filled and it works properly.

ok, if you look at newegg at this page of reviews it has some folks with those exact same issues. if you look at what ASrock wrote its some of what i recommended in my first post. i would try what they recommended to one customer first and see if it works before i looked at cpu mounting. not saying that your ram in not compatible but it may be work a try.

"Other Thoughts: At first I was thinking my motherboard was DOA or something. But it was my incompatible RAM. It would boot for like 3 secs and shutoff and reboot again doing the same thing until I turn power supply off. But thanks to ASRock Support for assisting me with that problem. I had to clear CMOS (hold pins 2-3 labeled on motherboard for 5 secs) and only have a RAM chip in slot 1 and boot. Then configure BIOS. And then I had to shut pc off and then insert other ram chips and then it would boot fine"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157304

good luck to you