You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have embraced my nerdishness (Hi!) :)
03-21-2013, 11:53 PM,
Wink  I have embraced my nerdishness (Hi!) :)
Hey all,

So, I've actually been using Hardware-Revolution since I was looking into building my first rig, which was nearly 2 years ago now. The suggestions and instructions have been/are great, and two builds later (well, the 3rd's in the mail) and I'm still coming back. I've finally realized that building computers is my hobby, and with the help of HR I've started exploring beyond "he said this part, so I'll use this part" and am starting to somewhat customize my builds now, hence joining the forum. Long story short, thank you so much for putting this site together!!!

Also, I'm a high school math teacher (aka uber-nerd Tongue), and I like to try to share the fun and learning of putting together your own computer with my students, which I will be doing with this newest build (listed below, if you're interested). I guess it's kinda my own way to pay it forward, and I always refer people to the site.

As an aside, I've started to realize that with this whole build-a-new-computer-every-year thing I have going on, I'm going to run out of space REAL soon...lol Besides the obvious giving builds to friends and family, can anyone think of a good way to unload computers? Maybe a charitable foundation or something like that that would actually like a Linux computer?

Original/primary build - gaming:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 mATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: Athlon II X3 455 AM3 3.3GHz 512KB
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212
GPU: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5
Storage: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA HDD
RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 80+ Bronze 620W
Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Optical (x2): Asus 24x SATA DVD Burner
. Lite-On 4X SATA Blu-ray ROM
Other: Wireless-N PCI card
. Blue cold-cathode tube
. Black mesh tubing to cover all cables so all black on inside

Newest build - HTPC:
Mobo: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS FM2 A75 (Hudson D3) mATX AMD Mobo
APU: AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) FM2 Dual-Core w/ AMD Radeon HD 7540D
Cooler: Stock
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EZRX 1.50 TB HDD
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 MHz
PSU: SeaSonic SS-350ET Bronze 350W ATX12V 80+ BRONZE
Case: SilverStone ML03B (Milo)
Optical: Lite-On 4X SATA Blu-ray ROM
Other: TV Tuner, TBD
. SSD, TBD

I tried my hand at customizing the case. Kinda rough, but wanna guess the game that symbol is from (see pic)? Also, bought a piece of smoke plexi for the window - blue cathode looks good behind it and matches blue LED fans on the 300 illusion.
I replaced the BluRay Drive in my gaming rig with a standard DVDRW drive to put the BluRay drive in the new HTPC.
I'm doing the new build as a 2-part build. Main build will be with Ubuntu. Then, when I can buy Win7, I'll add an SSD and TV tuner.

.jpg   CPU pic2.jpg (Size: 79.13 KB / Downloads: 32)

Thanks for having me!!
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM,
RE: I have embraced my nerdishness (Hi!) :)
Welcome to the forums. It's always a pleasure to hear a story like yours!

Thanks for referring people to the website, that's the best way to help us out Smile

As for unloading computers, you could always sell it locally on craiglist to fund part of the next build. Or give it away to one of your students in some sort of contest (make sure to double-check the applicable laws if you do so though).

Nice mod, although from what I can see in the picture, the edges look a bit sharp? Some sandpaper would fix that.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-22-2013, 03:47 PM,
The case reminds me of the aperture logo from Portal. Which is pretty sweet.
[Image: Aperture_Science_wallpaper_by_MadJawa.jpg]
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-22-2013, 04:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM by fillasophy.)
Yea, they're pretty sharp... I was going to line the edges with car-door edging (suggestion I found someone) but that became more issues than help. I also gave up a bit on the sanding, but have been thinking about trying to tidy it up.

Any suggestions on grit and application method? I'm thinking medium then high grit, possibly on a dremel attachment?

(03-22-2013, 03:47 PM)Phrosty Wrote: The case reminds me of the aperture logo from Portal. Which is pretty sweet.

Yes!!! Portal is one of my top 5 games EVER, so I had to use that. Do a Google search for "Portal computer case". Some of the themes and actual mod jobs people have done are just crazy. I secretly want to make a build that will fit in a turret from the game...lol

Also, as an aside...how do you get the actual image to display on the posts? Smile
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM,
You would have to upload to a site that will let you link to the picture like photbucket or imgur and use the img tags on here. like [img*]link[*/img] Just do it without the * in the bbcode. Smile
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-22-2013, 09:00 PM,
Nicely done! and Welcome =)

I myself have been wanting to do a window mod for my case, but haven't decided on a shape/design.
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
03-22-2013, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM by fillasophy.)
(03-22-2013, 09:00 PM)Brandonsr Wrote: Nicely done! and Welcome =)

I myself have been wanting to do a window mod for my case, but haven't decided on a shape/design.

Thanks!

When thinking about mine, I wanted something that was related to something I really like (dare I say love? lol) so I looked up a few different logos to think about. I also knew that I didn't really want to expose the drive bays, as they aren't all that pretty to look at usually, so that limited my area. And I decided I wanted to keep the fan port intact, although that was a personal choice that just so happened to work with what I was going to do, so I needed something that would fit beside or around. I opted with my design, which is actually partially "off-screen" the way I did it, but still recognizable (thanks for proving that, Phrosty Smile )

The biggest thing I can say is that if you're cutting the case, try and keep it fairly simple, and cover the whole surface with tape before cutting. There are actually a bunch of tiny scratches off to the side because I didn't cover that part with tape and the tools I used brushed against that area... If the shapes are too complex it'll be way to hard to actually get the jig saw to turn.

What logos/shapes were you considering, though? Smile