You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over heating problem.
02-11-2013, 06:25 PM,
Over heating problem.
I have a Sony Vaio VPFC13WFX. I use it to play World of Warcraft and for when I need a break from it The Secret World. While playing my computer screen goes blank and the computer shuts down. A friend at work said it sounds like over heating, so I installed a gadget to monitor the temp.

While playing WoW I noticed that the temp got up to 94 degrees Celsius and while not playing it operates at 60 degrees Celsius.

I called Sony and asked them what the operating temp of the computer should be and they told me that it should operate at 21 degrees Celsius normally and a maximum of 50 degrees Celsius.

My questions are:
1. Do those numbers sound right?
2. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how much it would run to fix it?
3. Should I bother getting it fixed or should I get a new computer?
4. Which would be cheaper and another laptop or a desk top?
5. Is it cheaper to build your own desk top or buy a pre-built?
6. If building a desk top keeping in mind the games I play what would be recommended to optimize my game play and keep the cost low?

Also Phrosty please do not delete my post again. This is not spam. If I find that it got deleted again I am done with this site because you obviously do not read them before you delete them.
02-11-2013, 07:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM by ichigeki.)
RE: Over heating problem.
Sorry for technicalities, but you mean the VPCF13WFX right?

1. The numbers Sony gave you are typical of low to moderate use temperatures. Gaming will definite increase the temp, but you already knew that. Big Grin

2. Temperatures will greatly vary depending on age of laptop, dust accumulation, room temperature, fan operations, surface of which you use your laptop, and load use of your laptop. (there are probably more) Can you explain more about the environment and condition your laptop is in?

3. Let's see if we can't fix it first. Big Grin

4. Definitely desktops are cheaper per performance, however desktop is not a choice if you need portability. Since you considered a desktop, I would assume portability isn't so much of an issue. Even though I help write the laptop articles, I highly recommend a desktop for the best gaming experience.

5. 99.99% (not lying) of the time, its cheaper and better to build your own desktop. Too often does pre-built systems come with inadequate power supply. However, that's not the only issue I see with pre-built system. With that said, you might rarely find a great deal with pre-built desktops.

6. Have a look at the budget desktop article here. Tier .625 will play your games well if you're on a budget, but I would recommend tier .75 which I think is much worth the extra ~$70.

If there is any issues on the forum please let one of the moderators know. Calling out someone on a post won't help to solve the issue.

Cheers!
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
02-11-2013, 08:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM by Sargon_Starblade.)
Well I live in Columbus, Ohio but previous to that I was in San Diego, Ca. Just recently moved. So it is a cool environment. Other than the heating issue it runs great and has run great. No liquid spills not sure how to check dust.

Also I have a gadget to monitor the video card and it says Fan: [-1%] and VPU [0%] is that normal?
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM,
Its likely that the gadget you are using isn't compatible with your video card. However, the temperature seems accurate if your laptop is over heating. Fan: [x%] probably refers to the % of the fan that is running, 100% would mean the fan is running at 100% of its maximum potential. VPU [x%] probably refers to the percentage of your video card that you are using 100% would mean you are using your video card to its maximum capabilities.

To look for dust, you'll have to open up the laptop. How about the surface that you are using your laptop on? this is the number one reason for overheating in laptop that I've seen. My friends like to use their laptops on beds, sofa, and on top of their soft laptop sleeve. These are terrible for airflow for a laptop.

If you are using your laptop on something hard like wood or plastic, your room is pretty cool, and there is no sign of massive dust deposits, then unfortunately it might be because your parts are wearing out.

It's probably not that the games you play are bugged and constantly demands maximum graphics because your laptop is very hot to start off with (60 C).

You could do the following additional testing and post back with results. It might help us troubleshoot your problem more...

1. When not playing games, while your laptop is ~60C, run a CPU load test to see how much CPU is being used when idle. I would simply bring up task-manager, go to performance, and let it sit for 30 seconds and either report back or take a screenshot.
2. When not playing games, do the same with a GPU (video card) monitor. I would suggest MSI Afterburner, but any that is compatible with your video card will do.
3. Do tests 1 and 2 but while playing games to see how much CPU and GPU are being used while playing games. Make sure to exit the game before your computer crashes however.

Screenshots of these would be nice so we can see the progression from idle temps to high temps.

Good luck.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
02-12-2013, 08:00 PM,
A guy at work showed me how to open it up and check for dust there was not much we cleaned it out. Same temps.

I use my desk to use my laptop.

Below are screenshots of the tests, with 150 KB per pic I hope they are useful.

Attached Files
.jpg   Processor while playing WoW.jpg (Size: 119.64 KB / Downloads: 10)
.jpg   Video while playing Wow.jpg (Size: 94.44 KB / Downloads: 10)
.jpg   Video @ Idle.jpg (Size: 84.73 KB / Downloads: 11)
.jpg   Processor @ Idle.jpg (Size: 93.77 KB / Downloads: 7)
02-12-2013, 08:44 PM,
It seems while playing games, your video card is at maximum load which will cause the high temps. But you already knew that.

Whats interesting is that the temperature approaches ~60c despite the video card load being nearly zero.

It seems we are running out of options... one thing we haven't tried is a simple drivers update. Try doing a clean uninstall of your video card driver and doing an install of the latest drivers. That may help...

Other than that, unless someone else in this forum can add, I don't know what else to suggest.
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM,
I can uninstall the video card through the device manager right?
02-12-2013, 09:40 PM,
To be honest, I haven't ran into any issues doing a simple uninstall off device manager or program uninstall. Even so, you should try a complete uninstall of your drivers just to be safe...

Here's a good guide I found online...

http://asusforums.com/showthread.php?t=2806