You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workstation Case
01-29-2011, 09:23 PM,
RE: Workstation Case
(01-29-2011, 08:41 PM)Andrew J Wrote: >I'm also a bit curious why you say it blows the K62 out of the water?

Superior cooling, cable management, fan control knobs, USB 3.

>Why do people care so much about cooling?

I'm guessing these people like to overclock there systems, which uses more power and exhausts more heat.

The Raven R02 is also a great case, but if you want the four hard drives...

Thank you Andrew...I appreciate your taking the time to help.
01-30-2011, 03:44 PM,
Just in case people are following this thread I thought to update with a few findings. First...

The Silverstone Raven R02B has been updated. Already sold out on Amazon. The new version is the R02B-E. The "E" is for evolution. This new version has 5 hard drives instead of 3....but it loses one expansion slot for a total of 7. Not sure, being a newb, what significance this has? Perhaps it means one less slot for a video card or sound card etc? They also updated the fans by installing the latest and greatest Silverstone 180mm fans. This might be the answer to my quest? Here is a link to a brief review with pics and info on the fans....

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2...n-rv02-e/1

The next find is a new case from Corsair. The 650D. It is being released as soon as late February/ early March. It will reportedly have better airflow than the 600T....and I think is a better looking case. Not sure yet of dimensions...but it is listed as a mid tower. You can see a CES 2011 video here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdOO6xaths

I would say for pure value I'm still stuck on the K-62. Really like the video reviews. I'm a bit put off by the look of the front grill though...and think there must be a reason to want USB 3.0...yes? I'm still learning for sure. The nice thing about the 650D is that it will have the latest ports, improved ventilation and a more understated look...while still providing a window to show off your stuff! :-)

Another can of worms...I got a call from my sister who has a friend etc that said that AMD has a new chip on the way. She said if I would only wait a few months that this next chip would be out. Well....it looks like this chip is named Bulldozer....but I'm not sure if I can wait. As it is...my wife needs for school are being really tested by our current desktop. Once the workstation build is updated I may have to pull the trigger. It may just be that I buy one of the two cases listed in this post.
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM,
>Perhaps it means one less slot for a video card or sound card etc?

Correct, shouldn't be a problem.

>...and think there must be a reason to want USB 3.0...yes?

It's the latest technology which is over 10x faster than the previous USB 2. Your motherboard probably supports it though but it's generally more convenient to have it at the front of the case rather than the back.

>Well....it looks like this chip is named Bulldozer

Yeah Bulldozer won't be out until Q2 2011 and chances are it won't outperform Sandy Bridge.
Your friendly forum administrator.
01-30-2011, 07:13 PM,
Great to have you running this place Andrew! :-) In case you haven't noticed....I'm kind of OCD when it comes to research. I can literally wear myself (and anyone else in close proximity) out! I will totally and completely beat myself to death over something just like the decision of which case to buy. This case buying decision is like my cryptonite...and instead of paying a therapist for counciling it might be better for me to just pay more for a more full featured case that looks and behaves exactly the way I want! LOL That's why the K62 was compelling...it actually seemed to be "the one". But before that the Raven 02 was "the one". Now I'm tired and exhausted and confused. It's both pathetic and laughable! It's so hard to buy any case....because you wonder...did I get the best built case for the money? Will it be all that and a box of chips? I am guessing the 650D will be a great case...but will it be the best value. Should I just buy an R02-E and forego the USB 3.0? Should I buy a FT02...or save some money and buy either a 690II or K62? I value your input...I really do...but in the end I think it's only fair to warn you that I am not through beating this to death and any attempts at helping me may go to waste! Smile

It's actually good that Mathieu hasn't updated the workstation build...it would have just added more pressure to buy my case. Good to know your thoughts on Bulldozer. And Ivy Bridge is way too far off...so Sandy Bridge will be just fine! I really like this place....Thanks!
01-30-2011, 08:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2011, 08:19 PM by Andrew J.)
>Great to have you running this place Andrew! :-)

Smile

>I'm kind of OCD when it comes to research

I'm OCD about all things computers, I can definitely understand that. Wink

Really picking out a case usually comes down to whatever takes your fancy and fits the bill. In my case I got the Antec 902 because it was on shell shocker for $70 and I love it. I'm sure no matter what case you pick you will be happy with it, all of the ones you listed are of high quality. I can't really help you make the decision any more I'm afraid, you just have to pick one.

>I really like this place....Thanks!

Glad to hear it!
Your friendly forum administrator.
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM,
Okay Andrew...and anyone else interested....I think my decision is made! I want the Corsair 650D. Of course I have to wait...but that's my best determination after much research. It's basically the inside of a 600T with slightly better fans....and a look I find much more appealing. I hope it's available sooner rather than later. I hope it reviews well...because I plan to buy it without further deliberation. I figure it has to be pretty darned nice. I saw an 800D in person today and thought it really looked sharp. Also saw a Corsair 600T....and checked out the inside. So...I think between those two cases and considering my tastes...it will be a perfect fit! I hope it's out soon...and not too long after the workstation update occurs. Next stop....the frightening process of actually trying my first build. Where do all those wires go? Tongue