You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workstation Case
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM,
Workstation Case
While waiting, rather impatiently, for the workstation builds update...I have been looking at cases. I assume I will be running a sandy bridge chip...with a Quadro 4000 GPU...and up to 4 hard drives. Oh...and perhaps a 5th SSD for the operating system? Additionally I will be running an optical drive or two and a dedicated sound card.

What I will want is a case that cools very well since the Quadro reportedly runs very hot. I assume Mathieu will give good options in the update. I will be keeping this case on the floor under my desk. It will sit on carpet...or i could put a mat under it if advised to do so. I would rather not have too large of a case..but I can go pretty large in size as necessary. I also am not a huge fan of the gamer cases with flashy lights. But again...I can go this route if the case does a bang up job. One of my favorite cases looks-wise is the Silversone Raven R02....but it lacks room for 4 hard drives. Another case I like that is more of a gamer case is the Tempest....but I don't like the blue LED lit case. People say it has super cool temps! When it's not lit i think it's a great looking case.

Okay...here are a few others....Antec 900, Lian Li Lancool PC-K62, Cooler Master HAF 932, Antec Twelve Hundred, Cooler Master 690 II Advanced...and the sold out Lian Li PC-9F.

I'm open to suggestions. I feel the case will be important for it's ventilation properties as well as it's other good qualities. I'm as newbie as they come...this will be my first build. Ironically, the case is one of the more difficult decisions for me! Help will be appreciated! Smile
01-26-2011, 07:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM by Andrew J.)
RE: Workstation Case
Lian Li PC-8NWX is a nice one.
Your friendly forum administrator.
01-26-2011, 12:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM by andiron.)
(01-26-2011, 07:10 AM)Andrew J Wrote: Lian Li PC-8NWX is a nice one.

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I will take a look. I actually have a list. I feel it's a bit scattered. From the list you can see I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples. These cases are of various sizes and looks. Here's what I have so far (in no particular order):

Antec 902
Antec 1200
Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
HAF 932
HAF X
NZXT Tempest EVO
Azza Helios 910

Of those mentioned I am most impressed by the PC-K62 at this point. I really don't want anything bigger than necessary which is why I am a little schizoid with various sizes...ie Antec 902/Antec 1200. The HAF 932 and Temptest EVO looks like especially great units for cooling....but not my favorites aesthetically. They definitely have the gamer look.

Again, I will check the new suggestion...but think it will have a hard time knocking the Lian Li PC-K62 off of it's top spot. In fact...if anyone can tell me why ANY of these cases would be better value than the PC-K62 I would love to hear from them. That would be of great help!

Quick Edit: Notice how a few cases from my first post have been dropped. I don't even remember why now but researching last night...I looked at so many cases I can't see straight. I dropped the Antec 900...but added the 902. I don't remember why? Tongue

PS. I'm so freaking ready to buy and build! Big Grin
01-26-2011, 10:27 PM,
Antec P183 Smile
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM by andiron.)
Thanks Geran....I took a look and that case definitely looks to be quality. My only concern at this point is that it might not have enough cooling capability. It is my understanding that the gpu I want to use....the Nvidia Quadro 4000...runs hot. I think cooling is very important. Since I'm new and this will be my fist build I don't really want to mess with water cooling.

I have read endless reviews and the PC-62 has a very loyal following. In fact, I read here on HR that Mathieu uses it as his workstation case. But...is he running a hot card like the Quadro? I read on another site about the PC-62 and it being a bit warm side. This is the only thing that would keep me from buying. On the other hand...the NZXT Tempest EVO gets many comments that it is indeed very cool inside. I just don't love it and find that it's not as feature rich and the K62. And it's so much of a gamer case! LOL If I could disable the blue leds on the case (not necessarily the fans) I would be more inclined to go that way. But again...mostly for the cooling.

I have to say after all I've read that I will be sad to not use the PC-62 at this point. Everyone talks about it's truly tool-less design....and how it's such a pleasure to build. I like that it has filters for the fans, decent room, and a fairly conservative look.

Sheesh...I never knew I would get locked up over the case. In fact...I really like value and want to save money...but I may just have to go for a high end case to get everything I want. Sleek moderate looking, excellent cooling...not too big....not too small....easy to work with...etc etc. After all....what good are all the fans and coolers etc if your case just sucks? If the Lancool PC-62 were a little better looking outside, and much cooler inside...it would be perfect...especially at $110 delivered! I may have to see what else Lian Li has at a higher price?

So for now I'm down to the following four: (but will be filtering based on my needs as listed above)

Antec 902
HAF X/HAF 932
NZXT Tempest EVO
Lancool PC-K62

Okay...so I have to ask....does anyone know of a case that would fit my demands...even at $250?
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM by Andrew J.)
That card is built to operate hot temperatures, case cooling isn't really as important as you make it out to be.

Mathieu is running a Radeon HD 6850, for the record.

If you want a midtower that will blow that PC-K62 out of the water go with the Corsair Graphite 600T (review) or if you want a full tower the Corsair Obsidian 800D (review) (Many enthusiasts call this the best case in existence). Both are top notch cases and will have ample cooling performance. However, if you want to save money by getting the PC-K62 that's fine as well.
01-27-2011, 05:20 PM,
(01-27-2011, 11:05 AM)Andrew J Wrote: That card is built to operate hot temperatures, case cooling isn't really as important as you make it out to be.

Mathieu is running a Radeon HD 6850, for the record.

If you want a midtower that will blow that PC-K62 out of the water go with the Corsair Graphite 600T (review) or if you want a full tower the Corsair Obsidian 800D (review) (Many enthusiasts call this the best case in existence). Both are top notch cases and will have ample cooling performance. However, if you want to save money by getting the PC-K62 that's fine as well.

COOL! pardon the pun! Big Grin

Okay Andrew...very good to know! You are correct...I have been worrying quite a bit about the cooling. I didn't realize it was okay to ignore the heat put off by the Quadro.

Also, I did look at the 600T but remember being put off by some of the reviews. I think what may have put me off was with regard to case temperature/cooling. Not sure? I will take another look.

FWIW...after I posted this morning I took another look at the Tempest EVO. That case really looks hard to beat in terms of cooling and is a pretty nice case from certain angles! I didn't mention it but my favorite case aesthetically is the Silverstone Raven R02...but I dismissed that case thinking of how Mathieu usually suggests the Raid 10 configuration utilizing 4 hard drives. The R02 only has room for 3. It's a beauty though!

So basically you've given me license to do whatever I want! Yaaay! I'm really excited like a kid!

As I said...I will take a look at the 600T...and then consider it along with the Tempest and K62. I will be sure to be obnoxious and share all my experiences along the way! Tongue Thank you!

01-27-2011, 05:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM by Andrew J.)
Take a look at that review I linked to of the 600T, it's very insightful.
01-29-2011, 11:41 AM,
(01-27-2011, 05:34 PM)Andrew J Wrote: Take a look at that review I linked to of the 600T, it's very insightful.

Okay Andrew, I took a look at the 600T and it does look like it's well made. I guess the problem for me is that I don't just love it. I'm also a bit curious why you say it blows the K62 out of the water? I would say the only thing that I see better on the Corsair, in my inexperienced judgment, is that it is roomier, has a better set up of ports at the top front...and the front grill appears harder. Okay...that last one is a bit hard to explain! LOL

Anyway, the K62 reviews...especially some of the video reviews....don't suggest that the 600T would be superior. But perhaps I miss something or this is subjective? I look at the two and see the price variation and think I would be more inclined to save money. Of course I don't want to go for something that I feel is inferior.

Okay, now about cooling. You say I'm putting too much emphasis on cooling and that the Quadro is designed to run hot. Since you said that I have once again seen, while digging through all the reviews, a heavy emphasis placed on case temperatures and cooling. Why do people care so much about cooling? They are upgrading and adding fans and also installing radiators? Airflow is constantly being discussed. Is this wide spread hype? Perhaps it won't matter for my particular needs? I've seen people modding their cases like crazy to get better ventilation. One such case that I saw being modded alot is the Corsair 690 II Advanced....but people say you have to spend too much extra to add the proper amount of fans on that case. And like I stated previously, I also really like the Raven R02....the way that case is ventilated is super impressive! Love the layout...but think I will want 4 hard drives instead of the maximum three allowed.

Okay...that's enough for one post. Thanks! Smile

01-29-2011, 08:41 PM,
>I'm also a bit curious why you say it blows the K62 out of the water?

Superior cooling, cable management, fan control knobs, USB 3.

>Why do people care so much about cooling?

I'm guessing these people like to overclock there systems, which uses more power and exhausts more heat.

The Raven R02 is also a great case, but if you want the four hard drives...