You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIOS Update
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM,
BIOS Update
I had a random question. I have been having memory management BSOD's lately so I contacted Corsair customer support and they told me that I needed to update the BIOS and then test each memory module separately with memtest before they would do anything about replacing my memory. Since BIOS updating can be dangerous (at least from what I've heard and from what it says directly on the Gigabyte webpage), should I even bother updating the BIOS or should I just go ahead and test each module separately without updating it? I want to find out if the memory is the problem but I don't want to potentially cause a fatal problem by updating BIOS improperly if not necessary. And if I do update my BIOS, what is the best way to do so without causing any problems or making any fatal mistakes?
Case: Corsair 600T CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 GPU: Asus GTX 670 DC2T SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X PSU: Seasonic X750 80+ Gold Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG Keyboard: Logitech G110 Monitor: Asus VH238H 23" LED
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM,
RE: BIOS Update
I've been told on other forums right now that I need to update my BIOS too because the new Nvidia drivers might be having an issue with the stock ones.

My Asrock supposedly has some features that make it relatively painless, but i'm still hesitant to do it unless I'm sure that it will fix the problem.

SO basically I have no helpful advice for you, but I feel your pain.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 Case: CM Storm Scout SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III 120GB Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 Monitor: 23" Asus VS238H-P 1080p Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM,
BIOS Update
Check to see what the latest bios does for you. If it doesn't improve compatibility for memory modules or controllers, then I would say it is unnecessary.

For what it is worth, I have never had an issue updating bios. The danger is if you lose power while updating. This is not an issue if you have a battery backup unit.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM by PwnBroker.)
the reason corsair wants you to update bios is because the memory controller for IB resides on the cpu die not NB. they validate only a few memory kits to begin with and update bios after the mb's are released. i dont know why folks on the interweb say stuff like you will kill your machine if you update bios. ive built and repaired over 1500 machines over the years and have never had a problem updating bios.

i dont like the bupdater or suite software in windows if i can help from updating that way, cause most of the time it will not update or not update the most recent version. most modern uefi boards have an option uder the advanced tab in bios to flash update bios. its as easy as downloading and upzipping the bios file from the manufacturers support site to a usb drive and rebooting into bios. consult your MB manual to see if that board has that option.

check out the anandtech article, they even had to update bios to get g skill memory to work:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/intel...-and-msi/8

as always dont ever update to a "beta" bios, always update to the final version.

good luck.
01-09-2013, 06:31 PM,
Great. Thanks PwnBroker. I'll go ahead and check out my MB manual and see what options it has. Also, thanks for preemptively answering my question about whether I should update my BIOS to the newest "beta" version. I was unsure about that but now I know. Thanks a lot!!
Case: Corsair 600T CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 GPU: Asus GTX 670 DC2T SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X PSU: Seasonic X750 80+ Gold Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG Keyboard: Logitech G110 Monitor: Asus VH238H 23" LED
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM,
yes you should update to F18 as it is the latest verified version.

also to revolution2718, notice is update F16 there was a VGA compatibility update to that bios. could be some of the problems you have been having with your gpu. i worked on a first gen I5 the other day and the guy had never updated his bios and had been bsoding with his newest nvidia card. and updated bios fixed his bsod's.

good luck