You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Creative Z series cards...any good?
12-27-2012, 05:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM by Heretic817.)
New Creative Z series cards...any good?
Huh

Reviews by users are overwhelmingly positive, so far. Does anyone out there understand all the tech speak in sound cards well enough to cut through the marketing crap or has anyone tried one out yet?

The guys over at Head-Fi say the Titanium HD is the only and last card they will ever touch from Creative. Is there sound technical reasoning behind this or is this just some audio snobbery?

At any rate, little help would be much appreciated.

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-So...ISU33E.htm
12-28-2012, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM by Heretic817.)
RE: New Creative Z series cards...any good?
Anybody have two cents on this one? Anybody at all? I was really hoping the good denizens of Hardware Revolution would have some input. I know the folks at Head Fi have a lot of opinions, I am a member in the forums, but sound technical reasoning over there can be a bit of a rarity.

The main comment against Creative that I see that driver support is terrible. Well, that is exactly what I see people say about ASUS and everyone else for that matter.

I have owned nothing but Creative cards for 20 years and I have no such complaints. Can anyone give me a good reason not to buy a Creative Z SBX????
12-30-2012, 12:43 AM,
I've had good experiences with both companies. However, there seem to be a lot more complains with poor Creative drivers from my experience/research over the years.

The only reason that you might not want to buy a Creative Z card is its price: $120 is not exactly cheap for a sound card, then again, I have no idea of what you intend to do it nor what audio equipment you're using.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-30-2012, 04:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 09:58 PM by Heretic817.)
(12-30-2012, 12:43 AM)MathieuB Wrote: I've had good experiences with both companies. However, there seem to be a lot more complains with poor Creative drivers from my experience/research over the years.

The only reason that you might not want to buy a Creative Z card is its price: $120 is not exactly cheap for a sound card, then again, I have no idea of what you intend to do it nor what audio equipment you're using.

I am attracted to the built in headphone amp and better quality DAC. I have had an xfi extreme gamer for I guess about six years and though I do hear a lot of complaints about Creative drivers I have never had a problem. It seems like a lot of people feel they got burned by bad driver support by the Recon series. It seems those cards had a rocky launch with Windows Vista. Creative blamed Microsoft, Microsoft blamed Creative. It was a bad scene all around. After that there has been a lot of Creative hate around the web. They had problems when they bought their nice new Recon 3D and Creative handled it badly. I hear just as many complaints about Asus drivers though.

Now the Core 3D chip is used on both the Recon and the Z series but at least initial reviews seem to implicate that the implementation on the Z series seems to be much better than Recon. In both cases if I read between the lines it seems what people are really upset about is the lack of Open AL hardware support. Creative ditched hardware support after the X-fi series in favor of software emulation of virtual surround sound effects. This should only effect older games as anything recent just takes advantage of the software codecs anyhow.

It's a moot point as whether we like it or not this is the direction the industry has taken as a whole. Further I am bit put off by Asus as between myself and three friends we have all had our Asus mobos die after only a couple of years each. I never before had a mobo die before the computer simply outlived it's usefulness for gaming. But the four of us all had our "high end" Asus boards bite it just in the last couple of years. So I have concerns about their quality control.

In the end I just was to drive my high end headphones with virtual surround sound be it with CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone. So I may keep my x-fi for now and buy an Objective 2 dedicated headphone amplifier to use with both PS3 and PC. Then I suppose I can wait for the verdict on the Z series.