You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Custom Build
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM by Ategenos.)
RE: First Custom Build
>Was probably going to overclock the PSU, what kinda 120mm fan is needed for the 2nd slot on the Zalman?

I'm assuming you mean CPU. You don't have to add a second fan, the difference won't be that much. I'd expect you'd be able to get to around 4.6-5GHz with it. However if you do want to lower temps by another 2-4C I recommend this fan.

Indeed, I meant CPU.

>And I opted for the red LED 200mm cooler master

Unfortunately NZXT fans aren't actually 200mm, they're 192mm so only their own fans will work in their cases.

This is a quote directly from the Mainstream gaming PC page under the NZXT Case:
"Cooling wise, this case includes two 200mm and one 120mm case fans. You can add two additional 120mm (Or a Cooler Master 200mm fan) case fans on the side panel, to improve airflow to your video cards."

Could this be a copy/paste error or something from the Tier 5/6 case right above it?

If so, I will probably go to the tier 8 case (COOLER MASTER HAF 932 3x230mm 1x140mm), as a lot of the review on that NZXT fan report that they got a clicking sound with their fans, which would drive me bonkers. I am attempting to get a semi-quiet PC, though I don't think I'm going to get one with this build.

Or I may spend the extra and get the Tier 9 case (CM HAF X 1x140mm 1x200mm 2x240mm + GPU Duct) for better cooling when I add in the second video card.

Any suggestions on a toolkit?

Also, I assume that a 750w PSU is enough to handle this build, even with the addition of a second video card? I wanna make sure so I don't blow it all up!

p.s. Sorry for all the questions!
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM by Andrew J.)
>This is a quote directly from the Mainstream gaming PC page under the NZXT Case:
"Cooling wise, this case includes two 200mm and one 120mm case fans. You can add two additional 120mm (Or a Cooler Master 200mm fan) case fans on the side panel, to improve airflow to your video cards."

Looks like Mathieu forgot to update that, as that's for the HAF 932. Apologies for the confusion.

>Any suggestions on a toolkit?

I personally use the Rosewill RTK-090 tool kit, it works great.

>Also, I assume that a 750w PSU is enough to handle this build, even with the addition of a second video card? I wanna make sure so I don't blow it all up!

It should be fine.

>p.s. Sorry for all the questions!

It's no problem, better that you ask now then screw up later because you got the wrong part.
Your friendly forum administrator.
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM,
Well, now it's just a matter of waiting for the money to come in. Adding in Windows 7, some PC tools and shipping, it comes out to $1570.96. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think the extras a worth it.
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM,
I was looking at getting Windows 7 OEM, how exactly does that work? If I reformat the HD at some point, can I still reinstall the O.S.? I know if you upgrade the motherboard the license doesn't transfer, but I don't think I will need to worry about that.
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM,
>I was looking at getting Windows 7 OEM, how exactly does that work? If I reformat the HD at some point, can I still reinstall the O.S.? I know if you upgrade the motherboard the license doesn't transfer, but I don't think I will need to worry about that.

Yes you should be able to reinstall the OS. However if you can't reinstall it all you have to do is call Microsoft and they will reactivate your key.
02-01-2011, 09:38 AM,
Would there be any major advantage to getting a modular power supply with this setup? In doing some research, I was reading that in addition to clearing up some room, it also helps increase air flow. However, on the Corsair I have now, it has a thematically controlled fan, where as the modular 750 PSU's tend to have ball bearing fans. Would it be worth the extra $30ish to get a modular? Or is it one of those personal preference type of things like an SSD?
02-01-2011, 01:04 PM,
Thematically controlled? What? They both are ball bearing most likely. The increase in airflow is negligible if you have a decent case (which you will).
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM by Ategenos.)
Yes, the fan on the 750 watt psu recommended for the tier 7 is listed as thermally controlled when you look at the details on Newegg.
02-01-2011, 01:48 PM,
Ah right. But it's also a ball bearing fan. Both power supplies have fans that change speeds based off temperature, the SeaSonic just doesn't say so.
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM by Ategenos.)
Cool, thanks for the info AndrewJ.

However, looks like this whole thing is on hold for a couple months due to the recall, which sucks cause I can't do much on my old PC at all. Just gotta hope SW:ToR doesn't come out early, lol.