You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
>Still Not Solved Random freezes, sometimes a bluescreen if I wait
12-12-2012, 11:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM by PwnBroker.)
RE: Random freezes, sometimes a bluescreen if I wait
you need to troubleshoot that ntoskrnl.exe stop 0x0124 error, this will help:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-...t-try.html

good luck

(12-12-2012, 01:01 AM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 08:05 PM)mwhals Wrote: Sometimes a faulty ram module does make it to the consumer. Boot into safe mode and stay there a while to see if it crashes. If it doesn't, then it is likely a driver issue.

Well like today, I actually left my computer on all day. It's been on since morning actually. I haven't been playing any games or anything, it's mostly been untouched all day. If it had crashed and restarted my homework wouldn't have been still open.

So does this rule out any memory problems?

UPDATE

I was downloading a game from Steam and my computer froze, and then stayed that way for two hours.

There was no GPU intensive tasks going on, but I left out that my video card is superclocked.

that is a clue right there. with windows open and the pc sitting idle, your memory is not loaded up. it may be loaded to 2 gig, but when you are playing a game or downloading something you are loading the memory up. so there could be some damaged cells in the memory. bad memory sticks are shipped out all the time and they are 1.5v so they are prone to esd prolly more than anything else.

if your not going to run memtest at least run MDSCHED (mdsched.exe in search bar) in windows or run 1 stick at a time and load it up until it fails. hopefully if it is bad memory then only one stick is affected and you will be able tell fairly quick.

good luck
12-13-2012, 03:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012, 04:48 AM by JCD-Bionicman.)
(12-12-2012, 11:48 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: you need to troubleshoot that ntoskrnl.exe stop 0x0124 error, this will help:

good luck

(12-11-2012, 08:05 PM)mwhals Wrote: Sometimes a faulty ram module does make it to the consumer. Boot into safe mode and stay there a while to see if it crashes. If it doesn't, then it is likely a driver issue.

Well like today, I actually left my computer on all day. It's been on since morning actually. I haven't been playing any games or anything, it's mostly been untouched all day. If it had crashed and restarted my homework wouldn't have been still open.

UPDATE

I was downloading a game from Steam and my computer froze, and then stayed that way for two hours.

There was no GPU intensive tasks going on, but I left out that my video card is superclocked.

that is a clue right there. with windows open and the pc sitting idle, your memory is not loaded up. it may be loaded to 2 gig, but when you are playing a game or downloading something you are loading the memory up. so there could be some damaged cells in the memory. bad memory sticks are shipped out all the time and they are 1.5v so they are prone to esd prolly more than anything else.

if your not going to run memtest at least run MDSCHED (mdsched.exe in search bar) in windows or run 1 stick at a time and load it up until it fails. hopefully if it is bad memory then only one stick is affected and you will be able tell fairly quick.

good luck

MDSCHED produced nothing. Should I increase the amount of passes?
How do I run one stick at a time?

UPDATE

I stressed my RAM and CPU to their maximum levels by opening many many programs. I think we can rule out RAM, and CPU.
Recently I installed 3 optional windows stability updates in addition to one important marked one.
However, I'll see if streaming multiple HD videos still crashes the computer.

UPDATE
Yep, it does. I think think it's a sound driver problem. Usually whenever the computer freezes there's this buzzing sound in the speakers. It's not a recognizable sound, it's not like a loop of something from what I'm doing, it's just a loud buzzing sound, like a loud rumbling sound. Best way to describe the sound is like when your controller vibrates on the table. It's that loud.
I'm going to try disabling the sound drivers.

UPDATE
Wow, I'm pretty sure I've finally fixed this issue. I'll get back if I'm sure the problem is solved:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=586183&mpage=1
I have VIA audio and NVDIA audio drivers both enabled at the same time. VIA is the default one, and I think it's been conflicting.
Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01
12-13-2012, 10:10 AM,
(12-13-2012, 03:33 AM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote:
(12-12-2012, 11:48 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: you need to troubleshoot that ntoskrnl.exe stop 0x0124 error, this will help:

good luck

UPDATE

good luck

UPDATE

I stressed my RAM and CPU to their maximum levels by opening many many programs. I think we can rule out RAM, and CPU.
Recently I installed 3 optional windows stability updates in addition to one important marked one.

UPDATE
Yep, it does. I think think it's a sound driver problem. Usually whenever the computer freezes there's this buzzing sound in the speakers. It's not a recognizable sound, it's not like a loop of something from what I'm doing, it's just a loud buzzing sound, like a loud rumbling sound. Best way to describe the sound is like when your controller vibrates on the table. It's that loud.

UPDATE
Wow, I'm pretty sure I've finally fixed this issue. I'll get back if I'm sure the problem is solved:
I have VIA audio and NVDIA audio drivers both enabled at the same time. VIA is the default one, and I think it's been conflicting.

could be, i had a customer computer that was crashing from a corrupted audio driver a month or so ago. hopefully you found the trouble, good job.
12-14-2012, 06:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2012, 06:46 AM by JCD-Bionicman.)
(12-13-2012, 10:10 AM)PwnBroker Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 03:33 AM)JCD-Bionicman Wrote:

good luck

UPDATE

good luck

UPDATE

UPDATE

UPDATE

could be, i had a customer computer that was crashing from a corrupted audio driver a month or so ago. hopefully you found the trouble, good job.
Nope. Was watching a 1080p video and my computer froze up again. Maybe I'll try troubleshooting the ntoskrnl.exe error.

Though this didn't happen when I played Crysis maxed out, there were moments where the game stuttered as if it would freeze up and during these stutters (which were alongside an otherwise smooth 30-40 plus framerate). During these stutters the audio makes that loud rumbling noise I described.

Maybe I have found the problem but haven't addressed it fully. I disabled the nividia driver and left the via one on, but I did nothing else.
UPDATE
I just realized I don't have a 400 series card like in the one the given article describes.
12-15-2012, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM by JCD-Bionicman.)
Whenver I try to "scan for hardware changes" the menu flickers a bit, there's a mini window that pops up and says it's "scanning for plug and play compliant hardware" and then in the bottom right it says it failed installing the driver. I figured out that it's the microsoft keyboard with fingerprint reader driver that's doing this. No matter which hardware piece I try to scan it always scans the said keyboard driver and comes out with the same error. I tried uninstalling the driver and a duplicate driver, which disabled my keyboard, but when I try to scan any hardware for changes it reinstalls the keyboard driver and says it failed like before, except it didn't fail and my keyboard works again.

UPDATE
I tried to download some games and the computer froze. No audio stuttering, no bluescreen, just froze. Would have stayed that way.
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM,
Time for me to step in Wink

As mentioned before, hal.dll can be a variety of things.

If you built the PC from the recommendations on the site, it is getting plenty of power from the power supply.

As suggested several times before, I'd highly recommend running Memtest86+, as this sounds like a RAM issue. You can create a bootable CD/DVD by downloading an ISO image from their website and then burning it to a CD or DVD: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Get the pre-compiled bootable ISO.

Run Memtest 86+ overnight (at least 8 hours) and see if it reports any errors. If it does, the RAM is the most likely issue and I'd get it replaced under warranty.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-15-2012, 08:39 PM,
(12-15-2012, 12:21 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Time for me to step in Wink

As mentioned before, hal.dll can be a variety of things.

If you built the PC from the recommendations on the site, it is getting plenty of power from the power supply.

As suggested several times before, I'd highly recommend running Memtest86+, as this sounds like a RAM issue. You can create a bootable CD/DVD by downloading an ISO image from their website and then burning it to a CD or DVD: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Get the pre-compiled bootable ISO.

Run Memtest 86+ overnight (at least 8 hours) and see if it reports any errors. If it does, the RAM is the most likely issue and I'd get it replaced under warranty.
When I come back from vacation I'll have access to a USB so I'll try that.
However, it is worth noting that while my computer froze within 15 minutes when it downloaded on normal startup, under safe mode it spent hours downloading content without freezing.
12-16-2012, 09:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM by PwnBroker.)
if it runs in safe mode then its probably a third party piece of software causing the problem. i remember on here i one time, i cant remember who, but their steam services account was causing a problem. in your post above you mention a keyboard driver that fails to install? like matb said, you can burn a bootable cd for memtest.

i would perform a clean boot to isolate further. its straightforward troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
12-20-2012, 12:20 AM,
(12-16-2012, 09:49 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: if it runs in safe mode then its probably a third party piece of software causing the problem. i remember on here i one time, i cant remember who, but their steam services account was causing a problem. in your post above you mention a keyboard driver that fails to install? like matb said, you can burn a bootable cd for memtest.

i would perform a clean boot to isolate further. its straightforward troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Well it's been a couple of days and I've streamed HD video, played a lot of resource demanding games and there's been no freezes.

I had thought to disable everything except the microsoft services beforehand and perform this "clean boot." I also uninstalled the NVIDIA audio driver and uninstalled the VIA audio deck (the audio deck had already been removed from startup and the NVIDIA driver had been disabled, so I suspect these were likely not the solutions to the problem).

I can't be sure which of these worked, so I guess if someone encounters this problem they should try all of these things.
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM,
Well I am glad you finally found a solution. I was always bummed out everytime I saw a new reply in this thread.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question