You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Hang at Startup Screen
10-23-2012, 01:05 PM,
Random Hang at Startup Screen
I built the computer about 8 months ago, and all has been well. But now randomly the computer hangs at the Windows 7 Starting Up splash screen, and I usually need to restart multiple times and power it down for 30 seconds from the PSU to get it to startup fully.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? It does not happen every time, sporadically though.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 Case: CM Storm Scout SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III 120GB Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 Monitor: 23" Asus VS238H-P 1080p Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
10-23-2012, 03:50 PM,
RE: Random Hang at Startup Screen
could be a few things, corrupt windows update/registry errors, OS drive going bad/ssd firmware update, defective memory, or a bios configuration problem.

to check if it is a windows problem, go into safe mode when booting. if it lets you into windows then try to shut down and restart normally, sometimes booting into safe mode will fix some update and registry problems. you might try to run a malware scan just to be sure. if not, you can try to roll back to a previous date, say a couple of weeks if you have restore point enabled.

if youve been messing with bios settings, you might try clearing or resetting cmos.

you might try reseating memory sticks and running a test on them with a tool like memtest.

the last thing i would check, as it could be a little more risky is checking/updating ssd firmware.

good luck
11-14-2012, 11:26 AM,
Update:

So the issue has been worsening. I used to be able to do a few restarts and get in, but at this point i could not even do that.

I have attempted to power on and off in combination with connecting and disconnecting peripherals, as well as powering off and on at PSU to to avail.

Booting into safemode hangs at the classpnp.sys file.

Doing some research people suggested bios config resets, repair installations, and other things like that with mixed results.

Then one guy said it could be the non-os harddrive causing problems, so i disconnected that and so far it has fixed the issue. More testing is needed on my end to see if this cleared it up completely or if I just got lucky. Even so any ideas on why this may be, and what i should do with the harddrive now?
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 Case: CM Storm Scout SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III 120GB Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 Monitor: 23" Asus VS238H-P 1080p Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
11-14-2012, 11:50 AM,
ah, so your using an ssd with the os and hdd for data, sorry didnt see that until i read your machine specs. which sata port do you have it connected to and do you have it set for AHCI or IDE? refer to your MB manual, most of the time it will recommend ports 1-4 set to AHCI.

if it wont boot up with the drive connected, you may be able to 'hot" connect after startup. if thats the case then what has probably happened, is that the hdd controller/MBR may be corrupted. when you turn on the machine, bios does its boot thing and when it comes to the hard drive it crashes because of the corruption. if thats the case, its not going to be painless.

if you decide that may be the problem, the only way to fix it is to transfer data from that drive, then go into DISKPART, select the trouble drive and do a "clean" command. this will basically wipe the drive. then you will have to re-allocate and do a full format.

good luck