You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red CPU light always on. AMD sabertooth 990fx AMD 6200 fx CPU. First boot
10-01-2012, 09:08 PM,
Red CPU light always on. AMD sabertooth 990fx AMD 6200 fx CPU. First boot
Hey guys, I just did my first pc boot and I came up with a problem.

Right now the red CPU light on the motherboard is on. And I'm assuming that's a bad thing because I have no post on the screen. Nothing at all.

I have tried the cmos battery

Changing gpu slots, trying a different gpu,
Checked too see if the CPU had any bent pins.

I noticed I do not have an 8 pin mobo connector on my psu. Would that make a difference.

I have seen some posts like this some fixed and some needed a nee motherboard.

If anyone could try and give me a hand it would be much appreciated.
10-02-2012, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM by ichigeki.)
RE: Red CPU light always on. AMD sabertooth 990fx AMD 6200 fx CPU. First boot
What are the specs for your computer? If your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin you can get an adapter for it.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
10-02-2012, 08:42 AM,
Re: Red CPU light always on. AMD sabertooth 990fx AMD 6200 fx CPU. First boot
Windows 7 64 bit. Pre installed on hard drive. With some games. :/

1tb HDD

4gb corsair vengeance ram.

990fx sabertooth mobo

AMD am3+ fx 6200 CPU stock cooler

The PSU is a few years old Mabey that's why. But it was working on my other system. And I checked my wattage. It's good.
10-02-2012, 09:27 AM,
youve got a couple of problems. thats an older atx standard psu. you need the extra 4 pins on the atx12v plug to power the board. you can get an adapter, but that psu is probably gonna be overloaded on the 12v rails.

then the "preinstalled hdd", is that coming out of another system? if it is, the win7 loaded on it is not going to work. if it was an oem liscense, you cant use it with that motherboard cause it was locked on the previous system.

good luck
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM,
Okay I know my issue I think now.

First yes it was pre installed on a different motherboard. I'll have to get a new Hdd or SSD. Would I still be able to use the info from my HDD that was on a different system, because I have all of my games that took forever to download on there lol. That's the only thing I need xD.

But I will go get a new SSD and OS. And ill try and find a better PSU.

Anyone know what the cost would cone around for all of these ??? Probably a 240 SSD or a 1 tv hdd again.

650-700 watt PSU. ??? Mabey not sure what to look at.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
10-02-2012, 10:58 AM,
(10-02-2012, 09:27 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: thats an older atx standard psu. you need the extra 4 pins on the atx12v plug to power the board. you can get an adapter, but that psu is probably gonna be overloaded on the 12v rails.

You're assuming that based on what ???

Networkz, what's the brand/model of your PSU? It might just be fine for your PC, with a 4 pins to 8 pins adapter.

Also, did you plug in the 12V 4-pin PSU power connector into the 8 pins header on the motherboard? That needs to be plugged in for your PC to work.

(10-02-2012, 09:27 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: then the "preinstalled hdd", is that coming out of another system? if it is, the win7 loaded on it is not going to work. if it was an oem liscense, you cant use it with that motherboard cause it was locked on the previous system.

That wouldn't prevent the system from booting. You would simply have to format the hard drive and re-install Windows.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
10-02-2012, 11:41 AM,
Re: RE: Red CPU light always on. AMD sabertooth 990fx AMD 6200 fx CPU. First boot
(10-02-2012, 10:58 AM)MathieuB Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 09:27 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: thats an older atx standard psu. you need the extra 4 pins on the atx12v plug to power the board. you can get an adapter, but that psu is probably gonna be overloaded on the 12v rails.

Networkz, what's the brand/model of your PSU? It might just be fine for your PC, with a 4 pins to 8 pins adapter.

Also, did you plug in the 12V 4-pin PSU power connector into the 8 pins header on the motherboard? That needs to be plugged in for your PC to work.

(10-02-2012, 09:27 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: then the "preinstalled hdd", is that coming out of another system? if it is, the win7 loaded on it is not going to work. if it was an oem liscense, you cant use it with that motherboard cause it was locked on the previous system.

That wouldn't prevent the system from booting. You would simply have to format the hard drive and re-install Windows.

Okay. So I have not connected the 4 pin to the 8 pin. I thought it strictly had to be an 8 pin. And I will have to go and get another copy of windows because I didn't install it on the hard drive. Dont have a disc. And I dont want to format just.incase I.can keep my games off the old HDD. I'll just grab an SSD for that or something.

10-02-2012, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM by PwnBroker.)
(10-02-2012, 10:58 AM)MathieuB Wrote:

not assuming anything, just the description he gave and that it was an older power supply. i never said that it wouldnt work with an adapter but that it will "probably" stress the psu with the info he provided. the quickest way to tell is to look at the label and see what the 3v and 5v wattage as compared to the 12v wattage rating. the older power supplies where rated higher on the 3v and 5v outputs than what they are today. networkz, double check and make sure that isnt a 4+4 connector(two seperate 4 pin connectors that can be put together to fit into an 8 pin socket)

it may very well work, at least to do diagnostics but i wouldnt do it until i had an adapter because you can plug a 20 pin into a 24 pin connector and a 4 pin into an 8 pin connector but what you will be doing is stressing the psu and most importantly the connectors on the motherboard. it might boot up and it might not, and you may very well melt the connectors on the MB as well.

i never said that the hdd would prevent a system boot and of course he can use his hdd especially if its a SATA drive, without having to use an adapter but he said he wanted to get his games off of it. and the answer to that, it depends. steam games are easy to transfer to another drive or folder without losing your games or reinstalling individual games. it depends on other games as they are all tied to the registry of the OS on that drive.

anyways, good luck ya, just trying to help. ive obtained enough certs to wallpaper my bathroom over the years and just trying to pass on a little knowledge along the way.
10-02-2012, 02:17 PM,
I have my 4 pin connected with the 20 pin on my 24 PSU supply. I will check once I get home too see if I cab find another one or 2, 4 pins for the 8 pin socket.

I will let you know if any of this works. Should be home on a few hours.

10-02-2012, 10:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM by networkz.)
Ok so I have an order set out from new egg.

I am getting a better overal 12v rail 750 watt PSU so I can use it for further upgrading.

CPU watercooler because I want to overclock a decent amount.

A new 1tb hdd, I was looking at ssd's, damn not cheap.

About 336.00$ for further parts. Should have them next week and I will try it again.

Ohh and I need a new OS. 436.00$ :/