You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutting down every hour
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM,
Shutting down every hour
I'm really pulling my hair out...but pretty much like the title says every hour after I start computer it locks up. There are only 2 things I can attribute this to...the computer has been running flawless since I built it last fall.
A. I installed new AMD drivers for video cards Catalyst 12.8. I see no other people complaining about this problem however.
B. Left computer on one morning by the time I came home there was a thunder storm going on and my computer was black screened.

These 2 events happened close to each other can't think of anything else that has happened different to my pc.

I have removed catalyst and reverted back to old divers did not work. My windows is on C: an SSD drive. Everything else is on E: I have wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows. This does not work either. Have run several anti virus programs, anti malware etc...

mb is not over heating nor are video cards.

Every hour, I'm to the point where I just reboot to avoid the crash. Any ideas?

thank you.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 MB
i7-2600k CPU @ 3.4GHz
16gig ram
64bit win 7
2-6950 2gig AMD's
09-16-2012, 11:45 PM,
RE: Shutting down every hour
Are games running as good as before?
PSU may be the culprit.
09-17-2012, 06:22 AM,
(09-16-2012, 11:45 PM)sasikanth8 Wrote: Are games running as good as before?
PSU may be the culprit.

Yes, everything runs perfect till it locks up. Will have to look up manufacturer of PSU and check that out. Do you think it would actually fail literally every hour?
09-17-2012, 08:21 AM,
The last PSU that died on me failed every 10 minutes. When I changed it for a new one, evertyhing "went back to normal".

A thunderstorm + running PSU = quite a dead giveaway that the PSU protected your hardware at the expense of itself.

If you can borrow an equal PSU you can test it out. If your PSU has protection modes (undervoltage, overvoltage, under current, short circuit protection, etc..) it could be just the PSU and not the hardware. I'm pretty sure that the shutting down is due to a faulty PSU. Since there's no more power. A dead ram module or hd don't create something drastic as a shutdown.

If the PSU is retail bought, you could still have a valid warranty. Full refund or a new PSU! What's not to like?!
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB. CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4,4gHz. Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme4. PSU: Corsair RM1000i. GPU: ASUS Strix 980ti. RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2400mHz C10 2x8gb. SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 256gb. OS: Win7. HDD: WD Digital Red 2tb. More! I need more!
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM,
Ouch... Like everyone else said, likely the PSU. Until you get a new one its not recommended that you use your computer Big Grin. Did you have your computer under a surge protector? that is just as important as a good power supply.

Cheers
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM,
Shutting down every hour
I had bad RAM sticks do something similar. I would say it is the PSU or RAM. In my case, I replaced the PSU first and the problem was not solved. I then tested the RAM and found 3/4 bad so I replaced all 4 and the problem was corrected.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM,
(09-18-2012, 08:24 AM)ichigeki Wrote: Ouch... Like everyone else said, likely the PSU. Until you get a new one its not recommended that you use your computer Big Grin. Did you have your computer under a surge protector? that is just as important as a good power supply.

Cheers

Oh yes. Can't recall the joules but its a pretty good one.
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM,
so is it shutting down(powering down) or is it locking up(still has power but will not respond)?
09-19-2012, 01:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM by Hun.)
(09-19-2012, 08:45 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: so is it shutting down(powering down) or is it locking up(still has power but will not respond)?

Actually its locking up....nothing is responsive as you click on windows etc...followed by black screen. I have to power down completely afterwards and restart computer.

*UPDATE*

I have cannibalized PSU from another PC and hooked it all up....1 hour later same thing....locked up/unresponsive. PSU can be ruled out.

While I have PC open I'll try removing RAM modules one at a time test out that theory.

This situation is just unreal. Appreciate those of you helping me.
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012, 03:03 PM by PwnBroker.)
(09-19-2012, 01:49 PM)Hun Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 08:45 AM)PwnBroker Wrote: so is it shutting down(powering down) or is it locking up(still has power but will not respond)?

Actually its locking up....nothing is responsive as you click on windows etc...followed by black screen. I have to power down completely afterwards and restart computer.

*UPDATE*

I have cannibalized PSU from another PC and hooked it all up....1 hour later same thing....locked up/unresponsive. PSU can be ruled out.

While I have PC open I'll try removing RAM modules one at a time test out that theory.

This situation is just unreal. Appreciate those of you helping me.

good that clears that up, usually if its a psu you'll get power downs or restarts and sometimes tripped overprotection as well as the screen freezing with bsod's.

i would test the ram like mentioned above. if that tests good i would start up in safe mode see if it stays up, then i would prolly go into msconfig and temporarily disable startup and services. a lot of freezing problems happen when a piece of services software is loaded and is corrupt.

ive also had defective or too high overclocked gpu do the same thing except usually you'll see screen tearing, etc along with it.

good luck