You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which PSU cables for video card?
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM,
Question  Which PSU cables for video card?
Hello,

I am having trouble figuring out the power cables for my Rosewill Capstone 650 PSU and MSI 660 Ti video card.

There are two 6-pin power plugs on the video card. I have two PSU cables that are identical; they have two 6-pin plugs: one says PCI Express, the other says SLI Ready.

* Am I supposed to use one PSU cable to plug in the 6-pin PCI Express and 6-pin SLI Ready?

* Or am I supposed to use two PSU cables and use the PCI Express plug from each of them? (seems kind of strange, and then I'll have a lot of extra cables in my case Tongue

Thank you Smile
09-07-2012, 10:15 AM,
RE: Which PSU cables for video card?
if its a single pcie cable with dual 6 pin use that. it doesnt matter what the labeling says they both are tied to the same pcie connector on the psu(and since that psu is a single 12v rail you dont have to worry about overloading). if you have 6+2 connectors its gonna have to be 2 cables using the 6 pin connector of each cable with the 2 pin taped up. some cards are shipping with dual molex 6 pin adapters for those psu's that dont have enough 6 pin connectors.
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM by jlhiowa.)
RE: Which PSU cables for video card?
Thanks! I'll try plugging it in after I get home from work Smile

Edit: No video at first! I went back and re-seated my cables and RAM. Still no video. Switched my RAM to the other slots and used the other double 6-pin PSU cable for my video card and it worked Big Grin

I'm installing Windows now, but I'll have to go back and figure out if I have a bad memory slot and/or bad PSU cable or PSU plugin.

@PwnBroker: Thanks again for the information on the PSU PCIe cables Smile