You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD question
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM,
HD question
got a bit of dumb question or maybe i'm confused or windows 7 is being...well windows 7(did i mention i hate win7?) I recently built my new rig and using an ssd as my boot drive(CSmile and a reg 2TB hd labeled (ESmile to install and play the vast majority of my old games on.

Trying to install Icewind Dale on the E: drive only and thinking i made a mistake(though i got it to run) i uninstalled and resintalled but this time using E:\Black Isle\Icewind Dale. It wouldn't load?? Am i missing something? the e:drive has none of the standard files as i'd find on the C: drive to install into like program files or program(86) which i shouldn't need anyways.

I'm probably overlooking something simple here so hopefully someone can schmuck me in the noggin and let me know what i've done wrong.
09-03-2012, 04:06 PM,
RE: HD question
You need to install it on the SSD as the hard drive is 100% blank, no Windows, no files.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
09-03-2012, 05:11 PM,
Ive been avoiding the ssd as it's extremely small at only 120gb with win7 eating over 11% of that already. Funny thing is, i installed another game on the E: drive with a specific path and it works fine and as i mentioned, using just the E: designation to install icewind dale actually worked whereas specifying the path as E: black isle etc etc didn't. very odd that pathing works for 1 game but not the other. Makes me wonder why i bothered buying and installing the hd if i don't use it? i thought maybe that's where i was getting confused initially.
09-03-2012, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM by PwnBroker.)
you have to create a folder on drive e:

i usually do Program Files, Program Files(x86) and user files then just change the drive letter on install

open up computer then the drive, right click to create folder
09-03-2012, 05:59 PM,
So basically, i'm duplicating in a sense what is on C: drive by creating similar files to d-load games into if i understand you correctly? But instead of it being c:program files i'll be creating new files with the same names but designating them as E: for the main path...gotcha. What ricky said makes sense now. Then when i install the games i can just specify the path E:\program files and let the game installation default the rest.

This is all new to me as far as using 2 drives so i apologize if my 1st question sounded dumb, and this question may sound dumber. Are the vid and sound cards only accessible on games i install on the C:drive? I noticed that i couldn't set the games graphics on full and though my sound card is eax capable, i wasn't getting the option to set it even though in both cases, despite the age of the games the options were there. I honestly think i'm getting too old for all this newfangled tech.
09-03-2012, 06:56 PM,
(09-03-2012, 05:59 PM)galahad1313 Wrote: So basically, i'm duplicating in a sense what is on C: drive by creating similar files to d-load games into if i understand you correctly? But instead of it being c:program files i'll be creating new files with the same names but designating them as E: for the main path...gotcha. What ricky said makes sense now. Then when i install the games i can just specify the path E:\program files and let the game installation default the rest.

This is all new to me as far as using 2 drives so i apologize if my 1st question sounded dumb, and this question may sound dumber. Are the vid and sound cards only accessible on games i install on the C:drive? I noticed that i couldn't set the games graphics on full and though my sound card is eax capable, i wasn't getting the option to set it even though in both cases, despite the age of the games the options were there. I honestly think i'm getting too old for all this newfangled tech.

exactly. for example lets say i want to load BF3 to my hdd which is E:

i load the install disk or download from web. it tells me that it wants to install to C:\Program Files(x86)\ORIGIN GAMES\BATTLEFIELD 3

i need to create 2 files on drive E: the first is Program Files(x86) and once that is created i open it up and right click in the empty space and create another folder ORIGIN GAMES within Program Files(x86) on E: drive.

then all i do is change C: to E: in the install window or do a browse and select the path to drive E:

or if you dont want a program files folder just create ORIGIN GAMES folder.

the sound card and video card will work the same, and in fact you will have installer files and shortcut links on C: drive but they are very small files as well as registry entries pointing to the E: drive folder.

good luck hope this was a better explanation
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM by galahad1313.)
Yessem! with your explanation i was able to set up all my old games except baldur's gates 1 and 2, as i still have some mod questions on a bg forum dedicated to that game and as far as i can tell, it all works just fine. Much appreciated :-). Getting old and nostalgic and a bit tired of these new formulaic mmo's and the marked decline in good rpg's so i'm looking foward to going old school for a few months. Cheers and thanks to everyone who posted answers.

Ive said it before, but this community may be small compared to some bigger sites but the expertise and maturity of the posters and answers you get here are topnotch in my books.